Simulator Golf, I don’t get it.

Those that don’t get it maybe should check out Top Golf’s profit numbers.

Sim golf is a lot of things.

Winter time for us in the north to play some type of golf. For those to practice and try to improve their game. To just have fun with your group of friends in the garage, bar, or wherever the sim is.

I think sim golf is one of the fastest growing businesses in golf. I see places opening up all over.
I agree @fuffle master there seem to be Sim golf places opening up all over the metro Boston area. Luckily I have my garage I can head to

Despite having an off season of more than 4 months and having to deal with winter, I have never used a simulator. There are several in the area and my club put one in this year but I haven't felt an urge to use one. Since I have no experience with one, I can't comment as to what it is like to use one. However, I am seriously considering using one this winter as I was working on something with my swing when the season ended. I don't want to wait for four months to get outside to work on it.

See now that gets me. What are we paying for exactly? Course upkeep? The attendants salaries? The math on all that is so ******.
The $20-50k setup they have per bay. + the snow tax. Because where else are you going to go lol

Those that don’t get it maybe should check out Top Golf’s profit numbers.

Sim golf is a lot of things.

Winter time for us in the north to play some type of golf. For those to practice and try to improve their game. To just have fun with your group of friends in the garage, bar, or wherever the sim is.

I think sim golf is one of the fastest growing businesses in golf. I see places opening up all over.
Top golf and simulator golf are two different animals. I have done top golf several times and it's boring to me as well.
I'm talking full on simulator golf.

Don't you also get to "play" courses you would never be able to step foot on in real life? Back in the early 1990s, I had the "Links" computer golf game on my computer, and I had a device that let me use my own swing and translated that to results on screen. I could play Pebble, Augusta and any other number of famous courses.

Sim golf is better than no golf, so I can understand it for people who live in a place where weather keeps them off the golf course for months at a time. We play year round here, but if I had room in the house/garage for a sim I'd have one anyway - both for data collection, and for the times I really didn't have time to go play an actual round but wanted to hit some balls. It would be fun to fire up the sim and get a quick range session in, or play a few holes on a cool course and be done with it. Living in a place where we play year round and being a member at my course, which is 4 miles from home, my sim time would be in addition to my regular golf, not in place of it.

I enjoy them. I usually play on one once, maybe twice over the course of our 5+ month offseason. It's obviously not the same but getting together with the boys, some beers, and playing a form of golf makes me happy during the dredge of winter.

I enjoy them. I usually play on one once, maybe twice over the course of our 5+ month offseason. It's obviously not the same but getting together with the boys, some beers, and playing a form of golf makes me happy during the dredge of winter.
Seems like a good reason.

Prefer outside. Today was 13 when I woke up so I played on the sim.

Now that i have my own garage sim set up i will play all winter and when i cant get to the course in the summer. Super convenient and i can play 18 holes in 20mins or go hit the range for awhile. I agree it doesn't replace real golf but it is as close as you can get from the comfort of your home

Sim golf is great for those of us that do not have golf year round. In addition to fun rounds of virtual golf, it is a great way to hone your skills. I am certain my driving improved dramatically with winter screen golf because the 'penalty' for mishits was...zero. No lost ball, no finding it, etc... It allowed me to really hone my technique and power.

FWIW, I am not golfing on a crappy, lagged, flat surface sim. I sim golf on a GolfZon system which features 3 hitting surfaces (fairway, rough, bunker) and a hydraulic swing plate to mimic slope conditions. It is high speed, low latency, and has 200+ hi resolution courses. It is a tremendous amount of fun during the winter and I expect to make a considerable improvement this offseason by focusing on my irons - combining the sim with HackMotion.

I think I might be one of the few people who do not see the appeal of simulator golf.
I might understand it for those who cannot play because of winter. Yet I see people who play it during summer.
Is it just me?
For 3 years, I drove 76 miles every Wednesday morning to golf at my buddy’s simulator from Nov-Mid April. No other option and it was fun to golf with my buddy.

Now that I moved south, there isn’t the appeal as much

But, I’d love to have a sim when I can’t get to the course or all my buddies are tied up…just to play 18 in an hour or work on good swings

Sim golf is great for those of us that do not have golf year round. In addition to fun rounds of virtual golf, it is a great way to hone your skills. I am certain my driving improved dramatically with winter screen golf because the 'penalty' for mishits was...zero. No lost ball, no finding it, etc... It allowed me to really hone my technique and power.

FWIW, I am not golfing on a crappy, lagged, flat surface sim. I sim golf on a GolfZon system which features 3 hitting surfaces (fairway, rough, bunker) and a hydraulic swing plate to mimic slope conditions. It is high speed, low latency, and has 200+ hi resolution courses. It is a tremendous amount of fun during the winter and I expect to make a considerable improvement this offseason by focusing on my irons - combining the sim with HackMotion.

Damn, this is impressive.

Played on a few, it’s never really done much for me.

I despise hitting off mats. Unfortunately, when there's 8" of snow on the ground, it's the only option.

Most of us who play sim golf do so only we cannot play on the course. But it's not hard for me to imagine some preferring it to all the crap that comes with playing on a public course. And it isn't that hard for me to imagine some people not liking it at all.

Golf is different things to different people.

I despise hitting off mats. Unfortunately, when there's 8" of snow on the ground, it's the only option.

I don't mind a grass driving range, but I agree that matts are awful. Practice on the sim is decent because you are not cattle in a stall and the tech allows you to really hone in on a particular aspect of your swing - it is more purposeful. The facilities are also top notch (in my experience), clean and good vibes.

As a matter of fact, I've hear rumblings of a league at my local GolfZon. I am going to inquire, could be fun.

I never sim if the weather permits outdoor play - but, it scratches that itch to golf during winter and foul weather.

Not a fan but the attraction is understandable.

See now that gets me. What are we paying for exactly? Course upkeep? The attendants salaries? The math on all that is so ******.
There's an X-golf business right next to where I drop the car off for service. Their rates are high in the winter and drop once the weather warms up... makes total sense. Last spring, I have a service appointment, so I load the clubs up in the car and head up early. I plan on dropping my clubs off at X-golf and then walk from the service center to play for the hour or so that my car is being serviced. I walk in and there's absolutely no one playing. The guy tells me the rates are $60/hr. I ask why they haven't dropped since it's nice out. He tells me that price drop occurs next week. I look around at the empty bays, look back at him and say thanks anyway.

For $600 - or the cost of 10 hours at XGolf - I bought my own simulator the following winter and after 122 rounds/practice sessions haven't looked back.

X-Golf is a nice facility. They have a liquor license, probably offer food, club fitting, and instruction. It's a perfect solution for a lot of people and I hope they stay in business for a long time. But I just don't have the budget for that - especially when that $60 can get you on a nicer course in this area for 18 holes of real golf.

I am not a fan of simulator golf either, and only do it out of necessity.

Very topical as today is going to be one of those days. There's a storm outside and I can't get out to play the next several days. So simulator it is.

I think I might be one of the few people who do not see the appeal of simulator golf.
I might understand it for those who cannot play because of winter. Yet I see people who play it during summer.
Is it just me?
No walking and very little time. Often people can play a quick round in an hour. It's just another way to play for those that don't have 4 plus hours to commit.

Think I'm going to suck it up and go pay $50 to play sim golf for an hour this afternoon

Is it just me?
The appeal for me is just being able to swing the club and using a simulator that is accurate so I can really dial in and see my numbers... Actual Golf on the simulator is what I enjoy... I enjoy the "driving range " of the simulator. The reason I want one is to keep swinging in the winter and in the summer after my kids go to bed.

Definitely a place for it, think many people covered it in here. As with everything golf related - is the benefit worth the cost and time? Different story for everyone!

You might consider going shirtless in my garage come summer time 🥵
These are the idiots playing my course… I’ll send them over your house😂

Attachments

• A4F808EA-4398-406D-A3F8-A8A2273EDF85.jpeg
    A4F808EA-4398-406D-A3F8-A8A2273EDF85.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 529B71CE-AAE3-4F8C-9EED-1020A789B501.jpeg
    529B71CE-AAE3-4F8C-9EED-1020A789B501.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 17
Back