Simulator Golf, I don’t get it.

what everyone said. There are also times that it is nice to go hit for an hour indoors because you dont have 5 hours that day to play real golf. It is simply an alternative, an option to still be able to swing a club. Plus you get feedback and data that "can" if understood and used can potentially help your game.

Easier for beginners, takes way less time, perfect during bad weather. It’s basically video game golf that you have more physical input into. Not sure what’s not to get to be honest.

It’s definitely fun for a once in awhile thing or practice but I wouldn’t want to play a lot of sim golf. I think my opinion is shaped by the fact that I get year round golf and it would be different if I lived elsewhere.

He would hate my thread I made on VR Golf with the Oculus...
Golf Goggles will be the next big thing! ;) I’m trying to be funny, buts it’s inevitable. We’ll have wearable augmented reality devices providing a digital overlay on every course. Real golf will become Sim golf.

Last edited:
Doesn’t interest me at all. If people like it, have at it. The data stuff is interesting, but I’m trying to avoid the rabbit hole.

Those that don’t get it maybe should check out Top Golf’s profit numbers.

Sim golf is a lot of things.

Winter time for us in the north to play some type of golf. For those to practice and try to improve their game. To just have fun with your group of friends in the garage, bar, or wherever the sim is.

I think sim golf is one of the fastest growing businesses in golf. I see places opening up all over.

I see it as 2 things, ok, 3.

1. Practice
2. Winter or for that matter some summer days where the temps east coast/south, west may just be too much for some folks - I have a portable A/C unit in the garage just for this reason - but it's a practice thing mostly.
3. Plain old fun, have a meal or drink with family or casual friends (or for that matter good friends) who may or may not golf, so no long walks, no lost balls, lots of laughs.

I don't know, but I don't think many out there take it more seriously than that - am I vastly mistaken?

Winter time for us in the north to play some type of golf. For those to practice and try to improve their game. To just have fun with your group of friends in the garage, bar, or wherever the sim is.

I think sim golf is one of the fastest growing businesses in golf. I see places opening up all over.
A relative of mine owns an X-Golf franchise. It’s packed, even on weekday evenings. It seems like alcohol + snacks + golf is a successful recipe.

Its a way to keep some muscle memory.
A way for me to play accurate golf shots? Hell no.

Honestly, I get more out of a GC3 and just hitting balls, than trying to play sim golf.

And pricing has come down as well making it less cost prohibitive. Place closest to me can range from $29/hour during off peak times to $39/hour during prime times. They use uneekor devices so it’s not junk either.

I'm a huge fan and just recently completed my simulator build in our basement.

With my wife working 60 hour weeks and most of the house and child care and everything else duties falling on my shoulders (in addition to my own job), it's realistically the only way I can actually play some form of golf right now.

Also, being a nerd, new to the sport and completely sucking at it, I absolutely love the feedback and data points.

It’s definitely fun for a once in awhile thing or practice but I wouldn’t want to play a lot of sim golf. I think my opinion is shaped by the fact that I get year round golf and it would be different if I lived elsewhere.
Like that time the wife wanted to move to Michigan? :ROFLMAO: You'd be well versed in sim golf then buddy haha

In my area it's all we have till the courses reopen but once it is nice enough to play outside I am done with the sim till winter.
If I had one at my place I might be more apt to use it during the season as a range.

It doesn't replace real on turf golf. Same as topgolfish stuff.

Still can be, and is, fun.

I find it way better than Top Golf. I agree it doesn’t replace real golf but we have winter where I live. I would much rather go to a simulator than Top Golf. To me Top Golf is a pure social event while hitting a few balls. I feel like I can work on things in my swing in a sim.

I can play year round with very small interruptions due to winter/weather and if I had a place to set up a sim I would. Just the ability to hit balls at home would be great, but I don't want to do it without some feedback. Just build bad habits that way. If I had a sim I would have a nice range session, or play 18 holes every evening when my wife goes to bed.

I'm in with what others have said.

There's no way I can play golf half the year, so it's either no golf or sim golf.

Sim golf is also fun because it's more conversation golf than real golf. You are not holding anyone up if you're having a chat. It just is what it is. If the option is no golf or sim golf I'll do sim golf. If the option is real golf or sim golf I'll do real golf unless there's another factor that would prohibit it from happening.

Neither do I if I'm honest I think it throws off my short game feels. I rarely if ever use a sim for anything other than verifying numbers. Maybe with a group it would be different and a fun social experience but traditionally when I go to the SIM we have it's late at night when I'm trying to work on swing stuff.

Like that time the wife wanted to move to Michigan? :ROFLMAO: You'd be well versed in sim golf then buddy haha
Thank god she came to her senses! 😂

Sim golf in your home is incredibly convenient and fun. It’s also a great environment to improve your swing and shot expectation. It supports real golf in a productive way.
this^^

but also it helps if you can see a ball at the range, which 95% of the time I can't, so the range is useless.

It's a great practice tool. If you know how to use the data given, you can improve your game.
An outdoor range is purely visual with no data collection. So for this, I will defend people in warmer climates using one.
Nothing will replace hitting from grass or actually being on course. But simulators definitely have a purpose and a need.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Will always take real golf over sim golf everytime. However in the winter or even in the summer for practice I do enjoy it. Helps to work on the swing and I can do it anytime in my garage no matter the weather.

I play it year round at home. I think people forget how hard it is to get to the golf course for some people. I can step outside for 30-60 minutes much easier than I can make a 20 minute drive, play a round (or even nine holes), and then drive home.

All things considered, I like both for different reasons.
This answer is pushing me closer and closer to #garagesim

What’s not to get? For those of us who have 4-6 month winter months where we cannot play outside it’s a way to keep the swing in somewhat shape. Is it the same ? Hard NO. But it’s better than nothing. My only issue is the cost, most places around here charging $50-60 per hour to play which is pretty much what I pay to play for 18 holes and anywhere from 3-4.5 hours of outdoor activity
See now that gets me. What are we paying for exactly? Course upkeep? The attendants salaries? The math on all that is so ******.

Golf Send It GIF by Pit Viper

Here is why I don't TopGolf :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

See now that gets me. What are we paying for exactly? Course upkeep? The attendants salaries? The math on all that is so ******.
Yeah I don't get it at all. Food/beverage is waaaay over priced as well and why I struggle to go often.

Back