Shot Scope V5 Golf Watch Review

the X5 has given me a lot of troubles.
What kind of problems? Have you tried doing a factory reset? That seems to have helped a lot of people.

I wish there was just an update done to the X5!

Does this display time? I am leaning towards it but I do not see the 179 anywhere?

Does this display time? I am leaning towards it but I do not see the 179 anywhere?
Yes, it has a couple different time setups you can choose from.

It will be great to hear your comparisons to the user experience from the H4. Why go to a watch?
I was tired of fiddling with the H4 on the belt and popping it off to check yardages etc. I’m hoping this makes that transition easier just being on my wrist. Shot tracking was very good with the H4, just tap and go so I’m hoping the V5 is just as good without that extra step. I’m hoping down the line it’ll be able to sync the steps and such with my apple health but decided for the time I’ll have my phone just track it.

I tend to get to “into” the device so I’m trying to simplify even further. One big reason other than cost to why I switched to shot scope was the just tap and play and fix anything if needed after the round.

I use a range finder. While I like the idea of one of these watches, and all the data you can get from it, I'm hesitant to purchase one because I read too many stories of technical issues people have with these things. I don't want to be standing on the tee fiddling with one of these things because it isn't working properly.

Time to discuss with the wife :D
200.gif

Great writeup and as a V3 user I will probably be ordering this new model. Coming from the V3 I am used to the buttons so this seems like a no brainer. I can live without the touchscreen but want the map feature.

Does the V5 (and/or X5) have a simple way to manually keep score without shot tracking? Said another way, after finishing a hole, is there a simple way to manually enter a gross (or net) score for that hole when shot tracking is not activated? Will it prompt you to enter a score for the hole after you leave the green? Is it easy to turn off shot tracking?

Just one example of why would be playing a round on some course where you would be playing with rental clubs.

Last edited:
Does the V5 (and/or X5) have a simple way to manually keep score without shot tracking? Said another way, after finishing a hole, is there a simple way to manually enter a gross (or net) score for that hole when shot tracking is not activated? Will it prompt you to enter a score for the hole after you leave the green? Is it easy to turn off shot tracking?

Just one example of why would be playing a round on some course where you would be playing with rental clubs.
Somebody else should confirm, but I do believe you can keep score without tracking. It can be toggled on/off.

I think you will love the convenience of the watch!

I am absolutely still pondering this one as the X5 has given me a lot of troubles.
I've been pretty unimpressed with mine too. Giving it one more chance before I give up. Will probably move onto a V5 if so, assuming reviews are better than they were for the X5.

Does the V5 (and/or X5) have a simple way to manually keep score without shot tracking?
I don't use scoring myself, so I am not sure. You may be able to keep score without shot tracking, but I don’t believe you can upload just a score without shot tracking.

Man, my V3 is still working perfectly fine, but the V5 is really tempting. @Trmpt98 will be interested to hear your feedback on the V5 once you get it out on the course.

I’m in the same boat. V3 has been awesome. I think I will jump in with the $180 deal though!

I don't use scoring myself, so I am not sure. You may be able to keep score without shot tracking, but I don’t believe you can upload just a score without shot tracking.
That would be disappointing and might be enough to keep me from upgrading from my Garmin S60. It seems like it would be such a simple option in the software for those who do not always play exclusively with the same bag of clubs.

That would be disappointing and might be enough to keep me from upgrading from my Garmin S60. It seems like it would be such a simple option in the software for those who do not always play exclusively with the same bag of clubs.
If all one is looking for is GPS and score tracking, the G5 would be the best answer.
It works tremendously well and is cost effective.

If all one is looking for is GPS and score tracking, the G5 would be the best answer.
It works tremendously well and is cost effective.
I was hoping for the simple on/off option for shot tracking depending on if I wanted to track shots or not (for any reason), and still have the option to save the round's data or not, on the same device or app. A score is valid data, after all. I would prefer not having to purchase two new GPS watches to stay within the Shotscope universe and have the option to save a round without full shot tracking on the more advanced, expensive device. Options are good, especially simple on/off options on a new GPS watch with so much new technology. As good as the G5 sounds like, I don't see a good case for replacing my existing Garmin S60 with one.

Last edited:
Played my first round with the V5 last night and it was excellent, even with the old style tags in the clubs it didn’t miss any strokes.

The buttons felt so much easier to use than the touch screen on the X5, the only minor downside is that it now takes 2 button clicks to see Last Shot distance instead of just tapping the club display on the X5.

If I had to make one suggestion for improvement it would be to re-arrange the in-round menus or button assignments. There’s a bit of redundancy and it’s not super intuitive (to me at least) It took me a few holes to figure out where everything lives, mainly the hole maps and since you can’t mess with this kind of thing while you’re not playing a round, I had to figure it out on the fly. I was playing alone so not a big deal but maybe a heads up for anyone going out for the first time, watch a video or start your round on the watch early so you can mess around and figure out where all the features are.

Played my first round with the V5 last night and it was excellent, even with the old style tags in the clubs it didn’t miss any strokes.

The buttons felt so much easier to use than the touch screen on the X5, the only minor downside is that it now takes 2 button clicks to see Last Shot distance instead of just tapping the club display on the X5.

If I had to make one suggestion for improvement it would be to re-arrange the in-round menus or button assignments. There’s a bit of redundancy and it’s not super intuitive (to me at least) It took me a few holes to figure out where everything lives, mainly the hole maps and since you can’t mess with this kind of thing while you’re not playing a round, I had to figure it out on the fly. I was playing alone so not a big deal but maybe a heads up for anyone going out for the first time, watch a video or start your round on the watch early so you can mess around and figure out where all the features are.
Thanks for the heads up Peter. I’ve decided to switch from the X5 in favour of the V5 which I should have tomorrow. The X5 became just a GPS device for me in the end due to all the problems I was having when in tracking mode so I’m hoping I can get back to tracking rounds and having all the post round data again.

One thing to add, I had the watch on during my 30 minute drive to the course, played 9 in 1:40, grabbed food on my way home, all in all about 3:30 worth of wear time, and I still had 82% battery left.

In the couple of rounds I used the X5, I'd finish 18 holes in around 4 hours with closer to 40% battery remaining, so it seems like the batter life has been improved as well

Oh, I also had an eagle during this round, so clearly the V5 improves overall performance on the course simply by existing

First round with V5 today having switched from the X5, I have been quite critical of the X5 in that thread due to my experiences with it (I know not everyone has had the same). I have to say the V5 was excellent to use. Once you get use to the menu layout after a few holes it works really well. I was always a big fan of the V3 and the V5 felt like that again but with most of the extra features of the X5. It was the first time since changing from the V3 to the X5 that I’ve been able to easily GPS track and score without having to mess with the watch too much and it becoming a hindrance on the round. I had 4 missed shots at the end but quite possibly user error due to lack of practice swings. Big thumbs up from me. I had 60% battery left at the end but had it on for a good 45 mins prior to starting. I personally prefer the buttons over the touch screen but suppose that’s down to user preference

First round out.
IMG_1636.jpeg
Found the course quickly considering first time using it.
IMG_1637.jpeg

I got the email saying mine was on the way but no tracking?

I got the email saying mine was on the way but no tracking?
Usual for all my stuff. Wish they would send it in the email, if you reach out to them they’ll send it to you.

Back