Shot Scope V5 Golf Watch Review

Great write up, this is shut a great piece of gear for any golfer and the price point is great as well.

I sold my X5 when the Connex came out. Now that the hole maps are out and the V5 is out, I may consider it. I had a lot of problems with the X5. I assume the V5 will use basically the same firmware and should thus have a lot of the kinks already worked out?

Before reading this review, I was waiting on a great deal for a refurbished Garmin S62 to replace my S60, but it looks like the V5 will be the replacement.

Before reading this review, I was waiting on a great deal for a refurbished Garmin S62 to replace my S60, but it looks like the V5 will be the replacement.
Same here. New, the 62 was beyond my allowance 😀, but was looking at refurbs. Will have to watch (no pun intended) some YouTube vids on this, hoping you can easily move Layups around on this Watch. I have an App on my Phone but its cumbersome and time consuming to use on the Course. When my Back let's me play I always play my Community Course and like to switch up Layups to keep it interesting.
Hopefully someone here gets to do a full Course Review on this Economical Watch.

Same here. New, the 62 was beyond my allowance 😀, but was looking at refurbs. Will have to watch (no pun intended) some YouTube vids on this, hoping you can easily move Layups around on this Watch. I have an App on my Phone but its cumbersome and time consuming to use on the Course. When my Back let's me play I always play my Community Course and like to switch up Layups to keep it interesting.
Hopefully someone here gets to do a full Course Review on this Economical Watch.
I think the odds are pretty good this will get into THPers hands pretty quickly and you will start seeing on course feedback pretty soon given how popular Shot Scope is here.

Honestly, had this launched at the same time as the X5, I would have definitely bought this model. I'm just not a fan of the touch screen, I think the product is great but hate the screen. I just really prefer the buttons to navigate through the menus (don't have to worry about taking off a glove to do it!)

But in saying that as well, had they launched the V5 instead of the X5..... I would have stayed with my V3 instead of upgrading.

For the $$$, I think there isn't another item on the market that provides the features and the amount of data that ShotScope provides. Add on that it isn't a subscription model for GPS/tracking...hard to not consider ShotScope products if you are in the market.

I was holding off on buying the X5 with the anticipation of this release. I see current users are being offered a special price of $179.00. It's a shame the same offer isn't being extended to "new users" such as myself.

Does the V5 have the same charging port/system as the X5, or did they improve/update it?
Really good question. One of my biggest gripes is the proprietary charging on the X5. I wish they could go with a standard micro-usb port like everything else does these days so I could have multiple chargers in various locations. Especially since it needs to be charged after every round

I just really prefer the buttons to navigate through the menus (don't have to worry about taking off a glove to do it!)
I play with my X5 unlocked, so I use the Crown button to navigate between screens. The only time I use the touch screen is to record my putts and to occasionally see the distance I hit my last shot. Very easy to use this way.

I play with my X5 unlocked, so I use the Crown button to navigate between screens. The only time I use the touch screen is to record my putts and to occasionally see the distance I hit my last shot. Very easy to use this way.
Same and the occasional swipe to see the battery %

the occasional swipe to see the battery %
I don't even do that, as I always have 60% or more battery life left after my sub-3-hour round.

Just got shipping notification for the V5!

Is the difference in hole maps that X5 will show you layups and V5 won't?
From the email:

The V5 hole maps offer a moveable distance line.

The X5 personalized hole map offers a moveable distance line AND the ability to overlay your very own SS Performance averages distances on your longest 3 clubs - something no other GSP watch on the market is able to do.

Nice write up, @Hawk. I am wondering if getting rid of the touchscreen will eliminate some of the glitches that have continued to vex a fair number of users of the X5. For me personally, the V3 was a much more seamless experience than the X5.

From the email:

The V5 hole maps offer a moveable distance line.

The X5 personalized hole map offers a moveable distance line AND the ability to overlay your very own SS Performance averages distances on your longest 3 clubs - something no other GSP watch on the market is able to do.
Hmm... this makes the X5 the more compelling option I feel like.

Nice write up, @Hawk. I am wondering if getting rid of the touchscreen will eliminate some of the glitches that have continued to vex a fair number of users of the X5. For me personally, the V3 was a much more seamless experience than the X5.

Heard this exact thing too often and scared me away to Arccos. Trying it out now but think I’ll give this V5 a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m such a sucker for sales…

Just got mine in the mail today and set it up. Now to find time to get to the course!

IMG_8914.jpeg

Also noticed the buckle was reversed from a normal watch…..

IMG_8917.jpeg

Just got mine in the mail today and set it up. Now to find time to get to the course!

View attachment 9255430

Also noticed the buckle was reversed from a normal watch…..

View attachment 9255432
All their watches are that way, as the "antenna" that senses the tag is in the band that connects to the top and has to be unobstructed. They cannot be reversed.

All their watches are that way, as the "antenna" that senses the tag is in the band that connects to the top and has to be unobstructed. They cannot be reversed.
Thanks for the info, I’m coming from the H4 so the watch model is new for me

It will be great to hear your comparisons to the user experience from the H4. Why go to a watch?

I think you will love the convenience of the watch!

I am absolutely still pondering this one as the X5 has given me a lot of troubles.

Back