Shot Scope V5 Golf Watch Review

Nice write up. This looks like an excellent addition to the Shotscope lineup. If i didn't already have the X5 i'd definitely upgrade the V3 to the V5. Styling looks nice, the ability to adjust the color for the yardage display is cool.

Great price point and stylish, sort of.
Went from a SkyCaddie which was extremely accurate but got tired of continuous yearly fees. Picked up a Garmin S40 when they came out and enjoyed compactness of a Golf Watch vs Phone. It has many short comings that the V takes care of at a great price. This might be my Father's Day present to myself.

P.S. as for Ceramic, I love the solid feel of it. I have it on the Controls on the Car after testing one without Ceramic.
I don't mind ABS on a watch which will make it lighter and less chance of it rotating on my Wrist.

Man, saw this, saw the email. temptation high but my G3 continues to give me numbers i want. debating if the form factor and hole/green pictures are worth the upgrade. :unsure:

Nice write up @Hawk it might be time to jump into the shot tracking for myself. Will be following along once you get this in Hand. Long battery life and a step counter are some nice features to have in the new model.

Lowering the price point is a good move by SS.

I’m pretty torn on whether to make the transition or not and make the investment just for non touchscreen and improved battery life…
Same. I don't think its worth the $180 for me. The battery always lasts a full round for me so that not an issue for me

I've been looking forward to this release, it looks good! Buttons instead of touch screen is a nice move, this could be the one that makes me jump on a Shot Scope.

Man, saw this, saw the email. temptation high but my G3 continues to give me numbers i want. debating if the form factor and hole/green pictures are worth the upgrade. :unsure:
I saw a lot of value in the hole maps while on a newish course over the weekend. If you rotate your golf a bit or play a lot of travel golf it might be worth it.

Same. I don't think its worth the $180 for me. The battery always lasts a full round for me so that not an issue for me
TBH - I rarely use the touchscreen on my X5, so in theory, I'm using it like a V5.
This V5 unit feels like SS got feedback that the X5 was too complicated, and too much of jump from V3.
I'd rather have the V5 however at $180, just don't think I'll "Downgrade"

Last edited:
I like the button only option since with rain or sweat, the touch screen can act up a little. The color options on the screen is nice, but having a few band color options (maybe in the future?) would be a bonus. Still, if I were to need a replacement of my X5, I'd go V5.

Thank you @Hawk for the write up. I've been kicking around the idea of a new watch and specifically I have been looking at ShotScope as an alternative to the Apple Watch I have now. The X5 was on my radar, but given how little I play this might be the better option for me. I need to dig into the comparisons between the two and see which one makes the most sense.

Call me intrigued. I didn’t like the kludgy X5 and all the issues I had with it, so I returned it. Still have my V3. I’ll look forward to the feedback on this one.

Yea that's the real bonus here imo. You can grab another segment of consumers. Personally, I really like the look and feel of the ceramic bezel on the X5, but options are good.
the looks and touchscreen will keep the X5 on my wrist, but the $300 tag might be a lot for some.

Kudos for ShotScope team listening to some feedback on the Touchscreen issues and battery life and updating the model. They always have the ear on the market to make sure their tools are the best.

This looks really intriguing. To me this is a version I can use in misty conditions as the buttons allow for easier control in those conditions.

I can't wait to really dive into the differences at the Data Experience in a month or so.

My X5 performs practically flawlessly, and I even use it unlocked. I do still have my V3 and use it when it is cold, and I have to wear certain clothing, long sleeves that have loose cuffs that I can't keep up on my arm above the watch. Because, even in "locked" mode, the Pin Collect screen is unlocked, and I have had sleeves run across it, or me swiping across the watch to get at the screen affect the number of putts captured or record the wrong hole location.

I don't use a lot of the features on the X5 as it is, such as the green view, whole hole view, scoring, pin reminder, etc., and only very rarely look at other features such as distance to/over hazards, layup yardages or distance of the last shot. I don't play in the rain, so the touch screen isn't an issue for me under those conditions, either. I am happy to stick with what I have and what I know works well for me.

I applaud them offering that huge discount for current Shot Scope users! They didn't have to do that!

This is a hard ponder. Need to replace my Apple Watch and also need to add tracking. Was considering a Garmin for the ability to track shots without needing tags, but the amount of data seems much better with Shot Scope. And while I can get a set of arccos sensors for free, not really a fan of the subscription model.

This might be the answer if battery life holds up. Or an X5 if battery seems to be the same as I think I could get an ex-display X5 for less than a V5. Hmmm

I'm very tempted to get this with the discount but I just bought an X5 2 weeks ago. I listened to them talk about the V5 on a podcast but was under the impression that it would be missing some of the features of the X5. Kind of disappointed I didn't wait now

Does the V5 have the same charging port/system as the X5, or did they improve/update it?

Guess I'm going to give the watch version a try over the H4....

Great write up! The move to buttons from touchscreen makes sense to me. Touchscreen, especially when rain, sweat, moisture is at play, is pretty tough to do. Not necessarily from SS's perspective, but whoever makes the underlying touch sensors. I'm still using my V3, but the one thing I've been missing is the hole layout and always go to my phone for that piece. Definitely need to do some pondering on this.

dang, with the discount that's kind of tempting. I like the X5 but the touchscreen gives me fits sometimes. I almost feel like my V3 was easier to use.

Great write up @Hawk . I might like this one over the X5 that I have.

The touchscreen isn't the best in the world, especially when it comes to colder or wetter weather so I don't think it would be that much of a loss. I'm also curious to see how it performs with the slightly different style. I don't think I would trade in my current ShotScope for it, it doesn't have enough difference to the table but for those that do not have a watch and want one, it is a great option.
I was thinking the same thing. Touchscreen on the X5 isn't really a selling point, I'd way rather have the buttons.

Back