Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

He does indeed have a set, he brought them to Austin.

I was much the same. I went from 2.0's to J40's and lost a club, but I gained that club back in the i20's. All with the same shafts (C-Tapers). Even with the distance though it really is 1a) i20's 1b)DPC's for me. I adore them both.

I appreciate the info. Can you put your finger on the one thing that buts the i20's over the top for you?

I appreciate the info. Can you put your finger on the one thing that buts the i20's over the top for you?

For me, distance and toe forgiveness. I played the DPC's fine with the distance loss as I have no ego and don't mind taking a 7i instead of 8i, numbers on clubs don't bother me, if I know MY distances that's all that matters to me. As for toe forgiveness though, I have never, EVER, in my life hit a set as forgiving off the toe as the i20's. Its my usual miss and I lose NO direction and very little distance. Its was a major eye opener for everyone that had the i20's in this thread (testers and not as well).

For me, distance and toe forgiveness. I played the DPC's fine with the distance loss as I have no ego and don't mind taking a 7i instead of 8i, numbers on clubs don't bother me, if I know MY distances that's all that matters to me. As for toe forgiveness though, I have never, EVER, in my life hit a set as forgiving off the toe as the i20's. Its my usual miss and I lose NO direction and very little distance. Its was a major eye opener for everyone that had the i20's in this thread (testers and not as well).

I love how much I learn from THP. I find the DPC's to be very forgiving off the toe and that is my normal miss so now I am even more excited to try out some i20's and see what happens. I agree with having no ego and just picking the right club. My issue right now is a rather large gap between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid. I may have the J40's bent stronger to help fill the gap.

I love how much I learn from THP. I find the DPC's to be very forgiving off the toe and that is my normal miss so now I am even more excited to try out some i20's and see what happens. I agree with having no ego and just picking the right club. My issue right now is a rather large gap between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid. I may have the J40's bent stronger to help fill the gap.

That's the sole purpose I had mine bent stronger when I had them.

Its like I said, if I weren't gaming i20's it would be DPC's and that is NOT sucking up to testing them, its just fact. Both irons are truly great sets.

My i20's are just mind blowers for me though.

As always links to all previous testing posts I have done are wrapped in the spoiler tags just below or easy access and reading.

REFERENCE LINKS:
Spoiler

• Unboxing: CLICK HERE
  • Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • First Round: CLICK HERE
  • First Range Session CLICK HERE
  • Second Round: CLICK HERE and HERE
  • Second Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Third Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report: CLICK HERE
  • Fourth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Third Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Fifth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Sixth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Seventh Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report #2: CLICK HERE
  • Eighth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Ninth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Tenth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Eleventh Round: CLICK HERE
  • Twelfth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Thirteenth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Texas Outing and Final Wedge Thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • Rounds 14-17: CLICK HERE
  • Post Testing Update #1: CLICK HERE

ROUND/RANGE RUNDOWN:

Date: 7/6/12
Played: 27 Holes

Round Rundown:
7_6_12cimarron9.jpg

7/9 GIR's

7_6_12cimarron18.jpg

35+37=72
15/18 GIR's

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

I need to apologize as its been too long since I came in with a mini-update. Like I said before, testing is over but I really do feel the need to update in here form time to time because of how much the i20's really have changed my game.

Case in point? The Score cards above. I played 27 holes on Friday and went 35 and 72. Most poignantly the 72 is the best score of my life and it truly was the best round of my life. All told I hit 22 out of 27 green's in regulation....yes, that's 22 birdie (or better) attempts on the greens thanks to second and third shots into the green.

Fact is I've truly adapted to playing to a number and still believe that if I am anywhere 170 and in that I can, and will, hit the GIR and give myself a chance at birdie and that all rests on the i20's. I have never in my life been as confident over a club(s) as I am any of the i20 irons. I may not be gaming the 3 or 4 iron anymore for the time being but the same goes for them, when I step up at address there are ZERO worries or thoughts in my head about where the ball is going to go. I know where it is going and I love that fact.

Like I said, it was the round of golf of my life, and I truly believe it is only going to get better.

WEAR UPDATE:

I promised wear pictures and I deliver...albeit alot later than I promised and I apologize for that fact.

These pictures are with just about 30 rounds on the set as well as about 10 range session in the Oklahoma sand. Some pre-req's before the pic's though.

• Reminder! The sold of the PW looks different because of the WRX grind I had PING put on it for me.
    • Look here for more info: Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • Second, I don't put much stock in wear. Irons are the workhorses to me and a little wear give character. I know some guys are all about iron covers and such, not me, I put my irons through the grinder. Considering that fact, I think they look damn good still.
  • Third, my i20's have the old finish that was "supposed" to wear faster, not the new finish.

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0226-1.jpg

DSC_0227-1.jpg

DSC_0229-1.jpg

As you can see, some face wear when I get the light the right direction, un-noticable at address though. Also you'll notice the soles look immaculate still IMO, and that is playing in the Oklahoma sand and clay. I can dig it.

You can see the first two wear reports here:
  • Wear Report: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report #2: CLICK HERE

More updates down the road from time to time. I certainly owe the i20's as well as this testing that much!!!

Just a little nudge for this since Howzat and I got to talking in here. I know there were several guys wondering about wear, so I think it deserves a bump.

Great to see you doing so well with these. That is a fantastic looking score card. And I think they still look great. I would love to have those in my bag.

Jman, great news about your i20s. I went to get custom fitted at the PING nFlight center and ordered my set. I expect to get them this week. The question I have for you is that I have a small tourney this coming Sat and if you were in my shoes and received the new i20s a few days before, would you use them right away or wait til this tourney is over. I currently use the Ping Zings, never custom fitted. The monthly tourney is a club setting, points are earned based on the player's finish.

Jman, great news about your i20s. I went to get custom fitted at the PING nFlight center and ordered my set. I expect to get them this week. The question I have for you is that I have a small tourney this coming Sat and if you were in my shoes and received the new i20s a few days before, would you use them right away or wait til this tourney is over. I currently use the Ping Zings, never custom fitted. The monthly tourney is a club setting, points are earned based on the player's finish.

Congrats on the fitting and order!

If you get them enough ahead of time to get some range time in then you could make that decision on comfort. I'd honestly lay on the side of comfort for the sake of maybe not knowing your new distances yet and gaps, but thats just me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude JMan, it is pretty safe to say that you can thank a great set of irons for 22 of 27 GIR's.. That is a RIDICULOUS stat my man. Love the feedback from these irons, in need of hitting them soon

You didn't ask me, but I would wait on gaming them. For me these irons are significantly longer than my Callaway x-22's were, and the lofts are the same. I'm just now really starting to nail down my distances.

Had the i20's and 588's out at the range last night. Both such awesome sets of irons.

The i20's are definitely a tad longer than probably any other players irons out there and are straight shooters to boot. The thing i love about them is just what PING has done with the performance aspects. What other iron out there in the player's category gives you this type of forgiveness, on par with most GI irons or better, and gives you the distances of an iron like the Burner series all while maintaining the playability, workability, and consistency of a better players iron?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Ha sorry Perkins.. I should have asked everyone. How long have you had your i20s?

Ha sorry Perkins.. I should have asked everyone. How long have you had your i20s?

No worries, just thought I'd chime in. I've had them since April. Hitting balls at the range just isn't the same as using 'real' golf balls on the course when it comes to getting distances right, so it's taken me a little while as I can't play as often as I'd like. As Colt just said, these things are long and straight and combine that with a great feel, I will be gaming these for a very long time I suspect. Enjoy them when they come in!

Been off the grid for a couple months due to heavy travel (a lot of it golf so not complaining) and good to see this thread going strong. Congrats to all the new i20 owners. And Jman, dude, you are just killing it! +1 for 27 holes - are you friggin' kidding me? I've watched your scores get better since the beginning of this thread and gotta agree the i20s are good in your hands - awesome - very happy for you.

No worries, just thought I'd chime in. I've had them since April. Hitting balls at the range just isn't the same as using 'real' golf balls on the course when it comes to getting distances right, so it's taken me a little while as I can't play as often as I'd like. As Colt just said, these things are long and straight and combine that with a great feel, I will be gaming these for a very long time I suspect. Enjoy them when they come in!

Thanks, it will be very hard to resist these irons if they do arrive before Sat. I'll need to block out the thought of using them or questioning myself on the course. I'm most curious to see how much more distance/accuracy I'll get over my current irons.

Thanks, it will be very hard to resist these irons if they do arrive before Sat. I'll need to block out the thought of using them or questioning myself on the course. I'm most curious to see how much more distance/accuracy I'll get over my current irons.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! A lot of tech under that hood.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I've had a harder time than most adjusting to the transition from Eye2s but mostly on the lower end of the spectrum. 6i and up were pretty easy, the only challenge was dialing in new distances. New wedge distances in other than full swings are taking longer and learning how to hit the long irons is taking the longest, although it's coming. Ping recommends 14 rounds to feel totally acclimated. I tend to agree.

If you don't take the full set with you but feeling an overwhelming need to taste the richness, maybe consider substituting a few clubs that wouldn't cause havoc with your present set/game.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Had a breakthrough today! My i20s have been here nearly six weeks and I've had an excellent experience with the shorter irons and getting to know the wedges. The longer irons have been more difficult to master, although trying to hit them off our urban plastic turf at the range has certainly added to my frustration. Confidence has been getting progressively better from being out on the course, hitting the 5i regularly. I swore I wouldn't hit the long irons off that dang plastic anymore but the 5i has been treating me well so I decided to give it a whirl with the 4i. Drat! More misses than hits. Checking that my tempo is good, I'm not rushing through, taking a nice, even tempo swing. Still only intermittent joy.

What I've found with the shorter irons is that a more upright approach has been serving me well, gaining power through contact and thereby distance. Decided to choke up and try a more upright approach with the 4i and BINGO! I'll be damned. Started hitting pure shots (well, mostly) and eventually was able to draw or fade like I do with other mid-set clubs. I'm not getting the distance because I'm effectively shortening the club by about a half inch but I don't care. Hitting the 4i solid is a very satisfying development.

Good thing this game teaches patience because I sure started to think about giving in and going to a hybrid. Now onto the 3i.

My i20's have arrived in Hong Kong.. Just over two weeks..well done Ping!

Pick em up tomorrow can't wait to give them a swing!

Look @ all the i20 love still going on. It makes me want to go in the basement and check mine out.

Look @ all the i20 love still going on. It makes me want to go in the basement and check mine out.

Did you leave them clean and ready for action?

Did you leave them clean and ready for action?

Yeah dude, they're all cleaned up, covered and just chilling.

Yeah dude, they're all cleaned up, covered and just chilling.

Poor i20's. Sitting down there all neglected. I walked past the 18 green yesterday and saw i20's in someones bag and thought "playa" right there.

Poor i20's. Sitting down there all neglected. I walked past the 18 green yesterday and saw i20's in someones bag and thought "playa" right there.

It depends on whether or not he had CFS shafts :bulgy-eyes:

Back