Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I don't think the wear is any different different than any of the clubs I have used in the past. I will try to take some pics tonight and post them.

What are everyone's thoughts on the wear and tear that these heads show?

Can any of the testers put some pics up of their longer aged club faces?

It's a non issue for me. The faces are showing the same kinds of wear that has been decribed here previously, but it's nothing I notice when I look down at the ball. Also, the paintfill of the number 6 on the six iron has come off. Ping will probably redo this when I send them this winter for new custom tuning ports.

It's been solid for me thus far with the i20's, but I'm not really a stickler about this type of stuff. The second time I swung them I took some rocks in the ground across the sole on the PW (left some decent scratches), and I didn't really get too beat up about it. Clubs are supposed to look like they've been to battle, IMO.

That said, I have an obsession with wearing the sweetspots on my clubs out, and I'm struggling at getting wear to show on the new lighter finish...pretty impressive. Considering my high SS and how viciously I hit down on the ball (hence a lot of turf/sand can end up on the face at impact with the ball on not-so-solid swings), the fact that they are not wearing much at all speaks pretty well for the irons.

I think I received my discount traveling among the doors at the Golf Club of Georgia. This is where the fitting took place. What a place to be seen.

Doug, I promise you I'll get you some pic's and thoughts up in the morning.

Follow-up to a quick review I posted about 10 pages ago and specifically the CFS shafts in i20s. Mizuno gizmo recommended KBS tour Stiff soft stepped or DGSL Stiff (85 mph 6 iron SS). I ordered CFS Stiff after multiple indoor and outdoor fitting/demo sessions. I ordered CFS Stiff straight in with the SW at D2 and my initial impression (all in moderate/strong wind) was that the shaft may be a touch too soft. I wasn't sure whether the heavier SW put a little more bow in the tip than the demo, whether the difference in balls (range rocks at Demo vs Callaway Hex Chrome) was showing, or whether it was the wind.

I've had the chance to play multiple rounds now in more normal wind conditions and the CFS shafts are fine at Stiff( I recognize this only means 'fine' for me but point is they match the indoor/outdoor fittings with range rocks). I like the trajectory throughout the bag and am really growing to love the 'scoring' irons (mid flight, one hop and stop).

I've been in schools between jobs the last few weeks and have played significant golf while keeping meticulous stats. Since getting these irons, my driving and putting have been basically at seasonal average and my scrambling is actually slipping a little. However, my pre-i20 GIR percentage was a frustrating 30% and is now up to 55% (disclosure: the new Leupold GX-3i has had a hand in this as well...). I've had more birdie opportunities in the last two weeks than the rest of the year combined which since I'm not converting much has actually exposed some holes in my putting. I hit a 6 iron reasonably well but thin yesterday that should have been in a front bunker but carried the lip and then rolled to no-brainer two putt range due to the reduced spin from the thin contact. In some ways, it feels like cheating. I'm still leaving 1 to 3 shots on the course per round due to putting and my index has only been lower twice (both in the pre-kids era).

I'm a streaky club 'ho that will stray when funds and desires permit but do hold onto something that I really like. Pre-purchase, I was interested and hopeful but a little concerned about the higher bounce in the shorter clubs and consistent distance from the thin face. I am no longer concerned about either. I haven't been this confident over a ball in a long time. These clubs have an extremely good chance of becoming members of the rare 5+ years in bag club that currently only has two members.

Thanks to the testers and other regular contributors to this thread. It did help influence my decision.

Philo

Doug--

Not sure if I have photo posting privileges yet. If you PM me your email, I'll send you some pics. I don't have nearly as many rounds as JMan, et al but I do have A LOT of strikes on some clubs and mostly from range rocks.

Short story: I am very happy with the wear but have seen a used set on display at a big box store that makes me absolutely understand your concern. FWIW, there seems to be an indication (internet rumor...) that Ping made an adjustment to the finish since first release and my clubs are less than a month old.

Philo

Doug--

Not sure if I have photo posting privileges yet. If you PM me your email, I'll send you some pics. I don't have nearly as many rounds as JMan, et al but I do have A LOT of strikes on some clubs and mostly from range rocks.

Short story: I am very happy with the wear but have seen a used set on display at a big box store that makes me absolutely understand your concern. FWIW, there seems to be an indication (internet rumor...) that Ping made an adjustment to the finish since first release and my clubs are less than a month old.

Philo

It's no rumor. They did lighten the color of the finish on these to mask wear better. It's not wear to the metal, mind you. The grooves and face aren't wearing down. The finish just rubs off easier than you'd expect.

If wear is an issue for you then just send em in to PING every winter and they'll refinish them for a surprisingly low fee.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Thanks. Good to know. As stated, I've had no issues with mine.

Out with the i20s this morning. Probably have 6 rounds in with them now. Getting acclimated, moving to a more upright swing which lends more power, distance. When I put a good swing on the i20s, they behave so well. Have had two or three holes each of my last few rounds where I hit full shots within 5 feet of the cup. Ball checks up nicely within several feet. Still figuring out the wedges.

Starting to rely on the i20 wedge around the green since I want to develop that relationship but starting to understand the Tour S 52 and 56 for different situations. Have only a vague idea how far they're going to fly on anything other than a full swing, really varies for different lies. Still not feeling very confident with the 4i with anything other than a flat lie. 5i is getting more consistent with the more upright swing.

This really isn't the same as picking up a driver and being able to crush it immediately. There's some getting used to new irons but I'm sure everyone's mileage varies.

Hope all other new devotees are having great rounds with their new i20s.

Well...I'm very close to joining the cult. ATM I'm deciding on whether to get a hard stepped Stiff or maybe a soft stepped X. In the 4 times I've hit the demo's lately I've had a harder time hitting a draw with the X and a slight fade is the main shot. The S gets me a nice small draw on the demo but boy its up there. Mainly wondering which one of these two options will have a lower flight. Question is in to Ping, but do any of you know what the answer is here or wondered something similar?

First post & with help from all of the great info on this thread I moved from MP53's to i20's (both with C-Tapers). Loved the Mizuno's on good days but the i20's are the real deal for me! They are longer and much more forgiving. Started with 4-U & currently trying the SW & LW. Digging the SW & LW for full shots & from the sand, but not positive the LW will hold off my MP R12 60*. I'll probably send the wedges to Ping this winter to get some grinds. Anyway, I had never broke 80 before today, but a few rounds in with these I shot 76 with 5 birdies & 13/18 GIR. The shorter irons are straight up pinseekers & the long irons are money as well. My playing partner had been hearing me talk about the hype of these irons for awhile, today he was believer. Thanks for all of the good info!

Well...I'm very close to joining the cult. ATM I'm deciding on whether to get a hard stepped Stiff or maybe a soft stepped X. In the 4 times I've hit the demo's lately I've had a harder time hitting a draw with the X and a slight fade is the main shot. The S gets me a nice small draw on the demo but boy its up there. Mainly wondering which one of these two options will have a lower flight. Question is in to Ping, but do any of you know what the answer is here or wondered something similar?

The answer I have is one that was given to me by a club fitter not to long ago.

If you think it's a little to high then it's probably right where it needs to be.

First post & with help from all of the great info on this thread I moved from MP53's to i20's (both with C-Tapers). Loved the Mizuno's on good days but the i20's are the real deal for me! They are longer and much more forgiving. Started with 4-U & currently trying the SW & LW. Digging the SW & LW for full shots & from the sand, but not positive the LW will hold off my MP R12 60*. I'll probably send the wedges to Ping this winter to get some grinds. Anyway, I had never broke 80 before today, but a few rounds in with these I shot 76 with 5 birdies & 13/18 GIR. The shorter irons are straight up pinseekers & the long irons are money as well. My playing partner had been hearing me talk about the hype of these irons for awhile, today he was believer. Thanks for all of the good info!

Sounds like you made the right call moving to these puppies. They won't treat you wrong, that's for sure!

Welcome to THP. Head on over to the check in desk and say hello to everybody.

That's awesome! Great results right out of the gates for you. My i20's are sitting in the basement. I go check them out almost daily.

That's awesome! Great results right out of the gates for you. My i20's are sitting in the basement. I go check them out almost daily.

Do you have a baby monitor for them like in that FedEx commercial?

Just had another range session with these game them Tuesday and I'm in love with them. The wedges have a high flight and land soft and the longer irons I'm hitting with ease. I'll get a better idea next week of how these are going.

i luv my pings!!i am playing the best golf of my life right now.my handicap is down to 6.4

As always links to all previous testing posts I have done are wrapped in the spoiler tags just below or easy access and reading.

REFERENCE LINKS:
Spoiler

• Unboxing: CLICK HERE
  • Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • First Round: CLICK HERE
  • First Range Session CLICK HERE
  • Second Round: CLICK HERE and HERE
  • Second Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Third Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report: CLICK HERE
  • Fourth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Third Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Fifth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Sixth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Seventh Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report #2: CLICK HERE
  • Eighth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Ninth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Tenth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Eleventh Round: CLICK HERE
  • Twelfth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Thirteenth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Texas Outing and Final Wedge Thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • Rounds 14-17: CLICK HERE
  • Post Testing Update #1: CLICK HERE

ROUND/RANGE RUNDOWN:

Date: 7/6/12
Played: 27 Holes

Round Rundown:
7_6_12cimarron9.jpg

7/9 GIR's

7_6_12cimarron18.jpg

35+37=72
15/18 GIR's

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

I need to apologize as its been too long since I came in with a mini-update. Like I said before, testing is over but I really do feel the need to update in here form time to time because of how much the i20's really have changed my game.

Case in point? The Score cards above. I played 27 holes on Friday and went 35 and 72. Most poignantly the 72 is the best score of my life and it truly was the best round of my life. All told I hit 22 out of 27 green's in regulation....yes, that's 22 birdie (or better) attempts on the greens thanks to second and third shots into the green.

Fact is I've truly adapted to playing to a number and still believe that if I am anywhere 170 and in that I can, and will, hit the GIR and give myself a chance at birdie and that all rests on the i20's. I have never in my life been as confident over a club(s) as I am any of the i20 irons. I may not be gaming the 3 or 4 iron anymore for the time being but the same goes for them, when I step up at address there are ZERO worries or thoughts in my head about where the ball is going to go. I know where it is going and I love that fact.

Like I said, it was the round of golf of my life, and I truly believe it is only going to get better.

WEAR UPDATE:

I promised wear pictures and I deliver...albeit alot later than I promised and I apologize for that fact.

These pictures are with just about 30 rounds on the set as well as about 10 range session in the Oklahoma sand. Some pre-req's before the pic's though.

• Reminder! The sold of the PW looks different because of the WRX grind I had PING put on it for me.
    • Look here for more info: Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • Second, I don't put much stock in wear. Irons are the workhorses to me and a little wear give character. I know some guys are all about iron covers and such, not me, I put my irons through the grinder. Considering that fact, I think they look damn good still.
  • Third, my i20's have the old finish that was "supposed" to wear faster, not the new finish.

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0226-1.jpg

DSC_0227-1.jpg

DSC_0229-1.jpg

As you can see, some face wear when I get the light the right direction, un-noticable at address though. Also you'll notice the soles look immaculate still IMO, and that is playing in the Oklahoma sand and clay. I can dig it.

You can see the first two wear reports here:
  • Wear Report: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report #2: CLICK HERE

More updates down the road from time to time. I certainly owe the i20's as well as this testing that much!!!

Terrific update Jman and congrats on the 72! They look like they are still in great shape and you must be leaving yourself with a ton of 8 irons into the green by the looks of it.

Terrific update Jman and congrats on the 72! They look like they are still in great shape and you must be leaving yourself with a ton of 8 irons into the green by the looks of it.

Thanks man! The 8i is my 155-160 club now and the number I absolutely LOVE to play up to. You give me the 8i in my hand, I'm going to hit the green.

I takes alot of restraint sometimes to lay up to that number, especially off the tee, but I'm getting there and the scores are showing it.

Thanks man! The 8i is my 155-160 club now and the number I absolutely LOVE to play up to. You give me the 8i in my hand, I'm going to hit the green.

I takes alot of restraint sometimes to lay up to that number, especially off the tee, but I'm getting there and the scores are showing it.

How does that compare to the distance you were seeing with the J40's?

How does that compare to the distance you were seeing with the J40's?

With the same shafts, I'm a full club longer with the i20's than I was the J40's. Its strange to me because my set of DPC's were ordered 1* strong so they were actually the same lofts as the i20's. I'm unsure if its just my swing is more confident and grooved now or if all of the tech in the i20's made a difference. I really do thing it might be a little of both. I do love the DPC's and the i20's are honestly the only iron out there I like better.

With the same shafts, I'm a full club longer with the i20's than I was the J40's. Its strange to me because my set of DPC's were ordered 1* strong so they were actually the same lofts as the i20's. I'm unsure if its just my swing is more confident and grooved now or if all of the tech in the i20's made a difference. I really do thing it might be a little of both. I do love the DPC's and the i20's are honestly the only iron out there I like better.

That is interesting. The pro shop at my club has a i20 6 iron I am going to demo and see what the distance difference looks like. I am still getting familar with the J40's but I am not getting the distance I expected to date. The amount of GIR's being hit in this thread has me curious to get the i20's on the course and see what happens. Maybe JB has a set he can bring to the Iowa tour van stop for me to try?

That is interesting. The pro shop at my club has a i20 6 iron I am going to demo and see what the distance difference looks like. I am still getting familar with the J40's but I am not getting the distance I expected to date. The amount of GIR's being hit in this thread has me curious to get the i20's on the course and see what happens. Maybe JB has a set he can bring to the Iowa tour van stop for me to try?

He does indeed have a set, he brought them to Austin.

I was much the same. I went from 2.0's to J40's and lost a club, but I gained that club back in the i20's. All with the same shafts (C-Tapers). Even with the distance though it really is 1a) i20's 1b)DPC's for me. I adore them both.

Back