Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

had a decent day with the I20 Used it on a 215 yard par 3 that I hit middle of the green and dribbled off of the backUsed it on a par 5, was 215 downhill to the green, shot it 20 yards overThen used it on a par 4, short hole and basically hit it off of the toe and straight right OBmy miss seems to be on the toe and usually leads to a line drive "draw" but Ive also had a few that Ive shot straight right toostill soem work to be done, but still like this club

I think it's too early to say until I game them. I've only got fitted for them today but I think the shafts make a big difference as I have awt stiffs in the i15's and the CFS felt great in the i20's. Obviously ascetically the i20's look better than the i15's but I don't anticipate the performance to be miles apart, just maybe a fraction longer

I was thinking of replacing the shafts in my i15's but with the expense, I might as well buy the latest i20 with the shafts that I want and sell the i15's on the bay.

Will definitely keep you posted on a side by side comparison once I receive and start gaming the i20's

yeah, I figured it was too early for a comparo, but I'm still looking forward to it once you get some reps under your belt. I actually like the look of the 15's, and the 20's aren't the most beautiful sticks I've seen but they look good in their own way. I suspect you'll find the 20's to feel much softer than the 15's.

Apologies for skimming a 210 page thread but has anyone had experience with the Ping i20 versus the Nike VR-S forged irons?
Curious about a comparison... My blade experiment I believe is just about up and would like better scores and not just better feedback of my mishits... (which the blades do awfully well). These two offerings are probably near the top of my list based on feedback here and a friend's experience with the VR-S but I need to go hit them to see...
Thanks!

There's a Ping i20 v Nike vrs review on youtube... Sorry I couldn't post the link... I'm a new boy on here and not permitted to do so yet.

I tried the Nike vrs I found them to be like hitting rocks compared to the i20s ping won that battle hands down.

Update on results with my new 3 iron in the i20 set:
First of all thanks again to Jman talking up the 3 iron enough to make me try it--I am hitting it so much better than my old i15 hybrid at this distance now. Better misses with it and I can hit it much higher to land soft. Hit It today on a couple of drivable greens right near 210-220 yard range but having to go over high trees on both (shortcutting a dogleg)--this thing just penetrates High shots without the balloon out. I know it was probably the shaft, but I could never get enough height on my hybrid to make these shots on this corse until now. My key in getting the 3 iron working is really to let the club do the work--this would be true for all irons but for some reason I always felt the mental push to "help" (overswing) a 3 or 4 iron before this set. Now I just trust it, take a couple practice swings to get mentally ready for the longer club and then I can just swing it smooth and it delivers. One of these was off the toe a bit and made for a longer putt, but it was still on the green and nicely cleared the trees. I also had another good tee shot with the 3 iron to clear a bunker at 180 but still lay up short of a creek at 250. Granted I still hit the occasional fat shot with the longer clubs, but trusting the club is helping me to make this a rare occurance.

Update on results with my new 3 iron in the i20 set:
First of all thanks again to Jman talking up the 3 iron enough to make me try it--I am hitting it so much better than my old i15 hybrid at this distance now. Better misses with it and I can hit it much higher to land soft. Hit It today on a couple of drivable greens right near 210-220 yard range but having to go over high trees on both (shortcutting a dogleg)--this thing just penetrates High shots without the balloon out. I know it was probably the shaft, but I could never get enough height on my hybrid to make these shots on this corse until now. My key in getting the 3 iron working is really to let the club do the work--this would be true for all irons but for some reason I always felt the mental push to "help" (overswing) a 3 or 4 iron before this set. Now I just trust it, take a couple practice swings to get mentally ready for the longer club and then I can just swing it smooth and it delivers. One of these was off the toe a bit and made for a longer putt, but it was still on the green and nicely cleared the trees. I also had another good tee shot with the 3 iron to clear a bunker at 180 but still lay up short of a creek at 250. Granted I still hit the occasional fat shot with the longer clubs, but trusting the club is helping me to make this a rare occurance.

What shaft do you have in it?

CFS stiff

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Good thoughts/write up there Swift. Hoping you'll find many greens with these awesome sticks man!

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

Finished my fitting today at the Ping nFlight Center and placed an order for the i20 irons (yellow dot, CFS stiff, midsize multicompound grips). Am looking forward to getting them very soon. Funny, I hit a hole in one on the sim and the flag started shooting fireworks.

Current Set: Ping Zing Black dots

Congrats on the new I20s. Great Ace too. They should give a discount if someone aces during a fitting.

TapAhoy!

Picked my new irons up yesterday first impressions im really happy. Im going to write a full review after ive played with them a few times

CFS are what you get when KBS Tours and N.S. Pro 1050 GH shafts make a love child!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.
I thought I hit the KBS Tours too high, but I had some gorgeous shots today. Kinda starting to think about CFS for the impending i20 set!

I have had 2 range sessions with these now. I had 5-pw because I have always struggled with my 3/4 iron so i use hybrids but im beginning to wish id tried the long irons the 5 iron is so easy to hit when i got rid of my burners earlier this year I thought im made a huge mistake but now being fitted for these has made me forget them.

I have had 2 range sessions with these now. I had 5-pw because I have always struggled with my 3/4 iron so i use hybrids but im beginning to wish id tried the long irons the 5 iron is so easy to hit when i got rid of my burners earlier this year I thought im made a huge mistake but now being fitted for these has made me forget them.

They really are great irons, and the long irons are insanely easy to hit. Glad to hear they are working out well for you early on, boss.

They really are great irons, and the long irons are insanely easy to hit. Glad to hear they are working out well for you early on, boss.

I was finally starting to get the hang of the 4i. I'm OCD and the offset was messing with me a little but after some practice I am starting to get a lot better with them.

I was finally starting to get the hang of the 4i. I'm OCD and the offset was messing with me a little but after some practice I am starting to get a lot better with them.

The offset threw me off to coming from blades, but I caught on to it pretty quick. My "high fade" swing gives me about a straight and high ball flight, my normal swing gives me a nice high 10 or so yard sweeping draw, and so on. The sweeping draw is MONEY off the tee box. Aim at the right edge of the short grass and rip it.

Looking forward to finally getting them on the course and seeing what these baby's can really do.

Ok....sooo....I keep hearing about the "Ping custom options" and paint fills and all that crazy stuff at Ping WRX. Does Ping have an actual website to order all this kind of stuff?? Or is this a yes we have it, just ask your local retailer to get a quote from ping for this kind of thing?

Getting some i20s or S56s very soon and just had to ask lol.

Ok....sooo....I keep hearing about the "Ping custom options" and paint fills and all that crazy stuff at Ping WRX. Does Ping have an actual website to order all this kind of stuff?? Or is this a yes we have it, just ask your local retailer to get a quote from ping for this kind of thing?

Getting some i20s or S56s very soon and just had to ask lol.

Alot of it is in here: http://www.ping.com/customize/default.aspx?id=11382

But they can do ALOT more. No website, call or have a dealer call.

You need i20's, you'll love them.

Jman you are just all over any post that says i20s on it today aren't you?? :wink:

This testing changed my game man, truly. They made me a believer and not just because I got to test them.

Remind me, which irons did you play before the i20s?

Remind me, which irons did you play before the i20s?

Bridgestone J40 DPC's and TM 2.0's before that.

I absolutely adore the J40's and had no intentions of ever selling them going into the testing but they simply would not have gotten played with these around. The J40's are a secure #2 on my list to the i20's, followed by the CMB's.

I had the J38s for a little while, I loved the heads on those but could...not...stand...the PX shafts. Sold them 2 months later only b/c of the shafts. I thank my lucky stars that I love the CFS shaft so much, only shaft I've deemed worthy so far to replace my old stand by DGs. I loved the feel of the KBS tours in the i20 head, but it had a bad habit of pulling left on me. Same in the S56 head, and good lord they launched high. The CFS feels like a great middle ground for me, higher and softer feeling than DGs, lower and straighter than the KBS.

I'm heading out again in an hour to put the i20 up against the S56 for a same shaft showdown. Should be fun now that I have so few factors swimming through my brain.

What are everyone's thoughts on the wear and tear that these heads show?

Can any of the testers put some pics up of their longer aged club faces?

Back