Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Thanks for the response! He said that he thought PX 6.5 would be a good fit as well. I just personally have heard and read so much about these c-tapers that I wanted them. I did notice that I was carrying the i20 7 iron with the kbs tour stiff 5 yards past my current macgregor 6 iron while the launch angle on the 7 iron with the tour shaft was avg 24 degrees. The distance may have been some loft and some shaft, but we are really working to get my launch angle and spin down a bit and this where he thought px6.5 or kbs c-taper and I chose the CT.

Is the black dot the heavier head? Played with one today and it felt great, these may take my ponder away from another OEM.

Is the black dot the heavier head? Played with one today and it felt great, these may take my ponder away from another OEM.

No its standard lie. The off the rack pings are black dot.

Wasn't there something about different head weights as well?

No. THe Black dot means standard lie Vince. The stock swingweight of the i20's is D0.

Thanks for the response! He said that he thought PX 6.5 would be a good fit as well. I just personally have heard and read so much about these c-tapers that I wanted them. I did notice that I was carrying the i20 7 iron with the kbs tour stiff 5 yards past my current macgregor 6 iron while the launch angle on the 7 iron with the tour shaft was avg 24 degrees. The distance may have been some loft and some shaft, but we are really working to get my launch angle and spin down a bit and this where he thought px6.5 or kbs c-taper and I chose the CT.

PX 6.0 is 6.5 FCM, C Taper stiff is 6.2FCM (according to my chart). Since the CT's tend to play a bit stiffer (or most people say, at least), I think you made the right decision. Spin and launch should come down, give you better dispersion, and a bit more length.

I love my CT X's in the i20's, perfect match IMO.

Wasn't there something about different head weights as well?

That's the weight chip in the cavity of the club, Ping can adjust through a custom order, or after the fact for a fee and shipping your clubs to PING HQ.

Thanks. I'm pumped and ready to get them in the bag. Ping has been incredibly quick on my order so complaints, I'm just impatient.

Now with my wedge at 45 and UW at 49 I may need to tweak my other wedges. How do you like the TM wedges? I currently play old school 15 year old gunmetal Cleveland 52 and 56.

Thanks. I'm pumped and ready to get them in the bag. Ping has been incredibly quick on my order so complaints, I'm just impatient.

Now with my wedge at 45 and UW at 49 I may need to tweak my other wedges. How do you like the TM wedges? I currently play old school 15 year old gunmetal Cleveland 52 and 56.

Check THIS thread out, I love them...as do my fellow testers and other THP'ers. There is a ton of info in there for you to sift through, I think you should give them a good look if you're in the market for wedges.

Placed my order for a new set of i20 irons last week and can't wait to be them in. They are supposed to arrive Tuesday according to UPS.

The specs are blue dot with KBS C-taper shaft stiff flex. I ordered 4-UW with the PW and UW both 1 degree stronger.

Im excited to see how these perform on the course especially the shaft. I have currently been playing macgregor VIP vfoil 1025m with rifle 6.0 shafts. I don't play enou now to use blades so I wanted something a little more forgiving.

If anyone is familiar with how these stiff ctaper shafts will compare to the 6.0 rifle shafts I currently use I'd appreciate your feedback.

I know I may be crazy but I wasn't able to actually hit this combination before ordering. The fitter noticed I balloon the ball and have a very high launch angle on the rifle shafts and even hire with the stock ping shaft and KBS tour stiff. He suggested project x or c-taper and everything I have read about the two I went with c-taper stiff.

Again, I'm pumped and will report back next week after playing them but in the meantime I'd love to hear some feedback on this combination and the difference in my current rifle and c-taper, mainly the stiffness and how they play and feel.

It may be somewhere in the 217 pages but I couldn't find it, haha.

Thanks.

Congrats on the new sticks, welcome to THP, and props on becoming an Albatross Club member. I look forward to getting to know you.

GolfZOOK, I have had a ton of experience with the Rifles, particularly the 6.0's. I also tested the C-Tapers in Stiff for a THP review and I think they actually perform quite similarly. I do believe that the CT's offer a little lower launch/spin but it was very marginal for me. The irony in it is that I felt the Rifle's just felt better. The CT's, to me, feel nothing like KBS Tours.

No. THe Black dot means standard lie Vince. The stock swingweight of the i20's is D0.

Thanks TC, took a look at pings site yesterday. Looks like I would need the White dot.

That's the weight chip in the cavity of the club, Ping can adjust through a custom order, or after the fact for a fee and shipping your clubs to PING HQ.

Thats what I was after, thanks man.

Thanks TC, took a look at pings site yesterday. Looks like I would need the White dot.

Thats what I was after, thanks man.

I have the white dot myself. Is your ponder of these serious?

TC, I have a question for you. Do these look like they are standing up really high at adress to you? Yesterday it was really messing with my head.

Edit: By standing up really high I mean + lie angle.

TC, I have a question for you. Do these look like they are standing up really high at adress to you? Yesterday it was really messing with my head.

Edit: By standing up really high I mean + lie angle.

No, I've never really noticed that too much buddy. How was it effecting you?

I don't know it just looks really odd to me but I am OCD. I have hit them on a lie board 100x and they are dead on everytime but they just set up strange to me. Still getting used to having a little offset. I am too hooked on aesthetics I just need to make a swing on the damn ball instead of worrying about what the club I am holding looks like at address.

I don't know it just looks really odd to me but I am OCD. I have hit them on a lie board 100x and they are dead on everytime but they just set up strange to me. Still getting used to having a little offset. I am too hooked on aesthetics I just need to make a swing on the damn ball instead of worrying about what the club I am holding looks like at address.

Jrod do you think maybe that little notch is throwing you off?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

For me personally I LOVE the look. Having played blades for the longest time it was hard for me to find something that fit my eye that wasn't a blade. I also wasn't able to find something that justified me putting those down and making a purchase, until the i20s.

As long as there's no rain here Wednesday I plan to hit the course with them after a few minutes on the range that morning and Tuesday night once they arrive.

Good point chunky. Maybe the notch in the heel is getting your attention in a negative manner?

Clubs should always fit your eye at address, as that aides in instilling confidence, but the overall look of the club (i.e. bag appeal) shouldn't matter, IMO. If you know they are correct on the lie board, I wouldn't worry about that anymore...but then again I'm not OCD, so I'm sure that's a little easier said than done.

For me personally I LOVE the look. Having played blades for the longest time it was hard for me to find something that fit my eye that wasn't a blade. I also wasn't able to find something that justified me putting those down and making a purchase, until the i20s.

As long as there's no rain here Wednesday I plan to hit the course with them after a few minutes on the range that morning and Tuesday night once they arrive.

Ditto, Zook. I came from blades, have always hated PING irons, and somehow I love the look of these. Good luck with the sticks, hope they perform as good as they look for you.

I have played at least 25 rounds of golf with my I20's and have to say I am very pleased with how they are holding up. The wear on them is minimum. I do clean my clubs after every round because I believe if you take care of your clubs off the course, they will take care of you on the course. I think Ping has done a fantastic job with their finish on these irons.

I had to get my swingweight adjusted to d4 ON MY I20'S by swapping the weight. MUCH BETTER NOW

I have played at least 25 rounds of golf with my I20's and have to say I am very pleased with how they are holding up. The wear on them is minimum. I do clean my clubs after every round because I believe if you take care of your clubs off the course, they will take care of you on the course. I think Ping has done a fantastic job with their finish on these irons.

I'm glad you are happy with your decision to go with those over the G20's. I know it was something that you went back and forth on. I also agree with you concerning the finish on the irons. They're very appealing.

I had to get my swingweight adjusted to d4 ON MY I20'S by swapping the weight. MUCH BETTER NOW

That's great. I'm a fan of the D0 swing weight myself. For some odd reason they feel effortless to swing and hit a ball with.

I'm glad you are happy with your decision to go with those over the G20's. I know it was something that you went back and forth on. I also agree with you concerning the finish on the irons. They're very appealing.

You have a good memory. I am very happy I switched. My wife was not though.

That's great. I'm a fan of the D0 swing weight myself. For some odd reason they feel effortless to swing and hit a ball with.

At first I thought I needed to change the swing weight as well due to it feeling to light. After hitting some long shots and barely feeling the ball, I am glad I didn't switch. It is just so smooth.

Back