Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Get it in CFS. Try it out for a while. Then buy a C-Taper and try it out for a while. It's a small investment!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Good call, dude. I might have to do that...if the CFS works out, I'll save $25.

Do you feel more confident with the 3 iron over a hybrid or FW? I have so much confidence in my FW that I would have a hard time choosing an iron over a hybrid or FW from that distance.

Right now I am not real confident in fairway wood (3W) except off the tee, but I will still try it at times 230-240 on an open course. Funny you ask, because I have the G20 17* Hybrid coming in the mail from ebay now to try to give me more confindence at this range. 210 smooth swing would be what I would want to really keep 3 iron at (I think the left pulls are just really hitting too hard for my comfort level). The 3 iron replaced i15 20* hybrid--it was low percentage shot very low flying although straight for me, but the major miss was fat/short. Honestly after some testing at a golf store with monitor I had decided that I was probably going G20 Hybrid or this 3 iron to replace it anyway. Time will still tell, but my success on the 4 iron has me currently running at higher confidence with this iron vs Hybrid at this range. Will see how it holds up under some tournament pressure. Worst case I will grab the G20 20* Hybrid to swap out while I build confidence on the 3 iron.

Good call, dude. I might have to do that...if the CFS works out, I'll save $25.

Yeah buddy!

Hi , all Iam new to this forum , i have the g15s 4 - lob and i am thinking about the i20's i have a demo from my shop and i have been told the i20's
are not forgiving however they seem to be pretty good to me , softer and just as accurate - my drivers and fairway, hybrid are g15 and iam very happy
with those just in the mood for new irons any thoughts thanks

Hi , all Iam new to this forum , i have the g15s 4 - lob and i am thinking about the i20's i have a demo from my shop and i have been told the i20's
are not forgiving however they seem to be pretty good to me , softer and just as accurate - my drivers and fairway, hybrid are g15 and iam very happy
with those just in the mood for new irons any thoughts thanks

First off, :welcome: Be sure to stop by the check in thread so everyone can get to know you.

All of the "thoughts" you are looking for are in the 3,129 posts in this thread before yours. Since you're thiking about making a $600-$800 investment in new clubs I would reccomend you read through lots of the review in this thread but I think you will find what you have already learned; these are sweet sticks. If you hit them well, if they give you more confidence, and if you can afford to get new irons I would say Go For It!

Note: I have a set of Ping Zings, and already been fitted for the i20s.

Walked into Golfsmith today to browse around while the wife was making a trip to the store next door. Picked up the i20 irons and said.. I can't wait to order these soon enough. I looked over and saw the Mizuno's MP-59's. Picked them up and they look great at address. Yes I've heard great things about the MP-59s. Did I just screwed my mind??? LOL

I tested a few sets out today the TM RBZ, callaway Razrs, Cleveland cg16s and the nike vrs. These by far won i was puring every ball with them and i was hitting some nice draws to it was an eye opener being fitted im a blue dot 1/2" short with a gold grip. That makes my 7 iron 1" shorter than my current irons cant wait to get my hands on them.

Jeeze gents, I feel like I've been neglecting things in here! Been crazy this week prepping the wife for residency and spending as much time with her as possibe but I did get out once this week and have some general thoughts. I'll get them in and answer some of the questions that were thrown up in here soon.

Just because a testing is "over" doesn't mean we should forget about it, especially when the club(s) in question are this damn awesome!

Jeeze gents, I feel like I've been neglecting things in here! Been crazy this week prepping the wife for residency and spending as much time with her as possibe but I did get out once this week and have some general thoughts. I'll get them in and answer some of the questions that were thrown up in here soon.

Just because a testing is "over" doesn't mean we should forget about it, especially when the club(s) in question are this damn awesome!

I keep pondering putting a write up in here, but I can't think of anything new to be said. I echo every good review that has been given in this thread, and I still stand firmly by my thought that these are the best irons I've ever hit, and the C Tapers are the best iron shaft in the world (for me).

The only complaint I have is that I can't get my distance down with them quite yet. When I FLUSH it, I fly the green. 152 out, I flew the green with a PW on Friday. 207 into a stiff breeze, and I put a 6 iron to the back fringe...both were right at the pin. I just need to get used to them, and get things grooved and I'll be the happiest dude alive with these irons.

Played my first round with the i20s this morning. It was a really good day.

I'd previously had one range session with the i20s, but left the next day for Europe, to spend a couple of days in Venice, and then on a 7 day cruise with stops in Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, and Split. Spent all day yesterday flying home (18 hours elapsed time between disembarking the ship and landing at RDU, 6 hour time zone change), so am feeling jet lagged today.

Today was very hot and humid, which combined with the jet lag meant I ran out of steam before the end of the round. Finished double-bogey, triple-bogey, but even with that terrible finish, I beat my handicap by 5 shots, shooting 79 (par 71, rating 71.2, slope 134).

The confidence that came from being able to sense the club head through the entire swing, and feeling the shaft loading and unloading even on partial swings carried over to every club in the bag. I got complemented a few times by the guys I was playing with (never met them before) about my swing and tempo. They asked if I had played on my high-school and college golf teams (I tried out for both, but never played in any real matches).

The experience today was totally different than any round I've played in at least 3 years, probably more like 5 years. I never felt I had to add extra power to produce the distance I needed, because I could feel the shaft working for me. What a difference it makes when you can trust that making a 'normal' swing will produce the desired results. I felt free to just swing the club, and was able to stop thinking so much about how to hit each shot and focus more on how to play each shot and get the ball into the hole efficiently.

For the first time in a very long time, I actually feel like I can play this wonderful game well, and I finally feel that there is hope that I will be improving, rather than struggling (and failing) to keep from getting worse.

I can get a true sense of the success you were seeing with them out of your post. I'm glad you found an iron/shaft combination that works for you. I've been watching you and you might be the most patient OEM'er on THP. Good luck with your i20's man, I hope they bring you some great memories on the golf course.

Last edited:
Played my first round with the i20s this morning. It was a really good day.

I'd previously had one range session with the i20s, but left the next day for Europe, to spend a couple of days in Venice, and then on a 7 day cruise with stops in Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, and Split. Spent all day yesterday flying home (18 hours elapsed time between disembarking the ship and landing at RDU, 6 hour time zone change), so am feeling jet lagged today.

Today was very hot and humid, which combined with the jet lag meant I ran out of steam before the end of the round. Finished double-bogey, triple-bogey, but even with that terrible finish, I beat my handicap by 5 shots, shooting 79 (par 71, rating 71.2, slope 134).

The confidence that came from the being able to sense the club head through the entire swing, and feeling the shaft loading and unloading even on partial swings carried over to every club in the bag. I got complemented a few times by the guys I was playing with (never met them before) about my swing and tempo. They asked if I had played on my high-school and college golf teams (I tried out for both, but never played in any real matches).

The experience today was totally different than any round I've played in at least 3 years, probably more like 5 years. I never felt I had to add extra power to produce the distance I needed, because I could feel the shaft working for me. What a difference it makes when you can trust that making a 'normal' swing will produce the desired results. I felt free to just swing the club, and was able to stop thinking so much about how to hit each shot and focus more on how to play each shot and get the ball into the hole efficiently.

For the first time in a very long time, I actually feel like I can play this wonderful game well, and I finally feel that there is hope that I will be improving, rather than struggling (and failing) to keep from getting worse.

That's awesome, gfb. Sounds like of a helluva fun round, and sounds like you enjoyed the i20's. These things just keep blowing more and more people away, so cool.

I am hoping to finally join the club this next month. I was supposed to get the i20s this month, but looks like I will be ordering in 2 weeks.

The issue so far has been finding a shaft. I went to the fitter 2 weeks ago and hit CFS S, Ctapers, PXi and X100s. The PXi and X100 had the best results, which didn't even make sense. But I have lots more trying out to come.

I'm headed to Pinehurst in Aug and hope to have them by then.

I took lead tape with me to my fitting (which was with my instructor, and we had already talked about how adding some weight would probably help me). I got the lead tape at Golfsmith. We used 2 2-inch strips applied to the back of the club head, covering the CTP (Custom tuning port), because :ping: adjusts the swing weight by using different weight inserts in the CTP.

The tape is very easy to apply and remove, so I don't see why any fitter would object to letting you do this when you demo a club.

Changing the swing weight does not appreciably change the performance characteristics (effective launch angle or the position of the center of gravity, unless you add a lot of tape (I would guess 10 strips or more).

However, it may change how you swing the club, possibly resulting in a difference in shaft loading, impact position and launch conditions.

Most people will only feel a difference of at least 2 or 3 swing weight points, but some can feel a difference of 1 or even 1/2 point.

A significantly higher swing weight might cause a shaft to flex just a little more, but I think the difference would be less than the difference caused by soft stepping, which I understand is about 1/3 flex.
Hmm, I hadn't really thought about headweight. How do you get fit for that? They don't have headweights on fitting carts.
Pardon my ignorance, but s300 and D4 swing weight would be a pretty stout combo, no?

I'd like to try out different swing weights I think. Everything I hit is high, some higher than others (due to impact right at the ground and ball...meaning my divot isn't in front or behind the ball, but right at it).

Does swing weight do anything for flight? or is it just a individual comfort thing?

REFERENCE LINKS:
Spoiler

• Unboxing: CLICK HERE
  • Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • First Round: CLICK HERE
  • First Range Session CLICK HERE
  • Second Round: CLICK HERE and HERE
  • Second Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Third Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report: CLICK HERE
  • Fourth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Third Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Fifth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Sixth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Seventh Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report #2: CLICK HERE
  • Eighth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Ninth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Tenth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Eleventh Round: CLICK HERE
  • Twelfth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Thirteenth Round: CLICK HERE
  • Texas Outing and Final Wedge Thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • Rounds 14-17: CLICK HERE

ROUND/RANGE RUNDOWN:

Date: 6/24/12
Played: 18 Holes

Round Rundown:
6_25_12Cimarron-1.jpg

38+40=78
14/18 GIR's

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

Since the testing has "concluded" this is going to be a little more short and to the point, but to me its better than just disappearing as these irons don't deserve that with what they have done and are doing for my game. Plus, I like to talk/type so why not keep going with some mini updates? Right?

Anywho, today was the absolute best ballstriking round I think I have ever had for a single complete round in my short golfing career. It was just one of those days where you get into that groove with your swing and you know it, it just flows if you will. Great turf interaction all day long and great compression of the golf ball. As a matter of fact, this round and one last week actually confirmed what I was seeing in my last write up in this thread. I'm hitting the ball further. Like alot further.

Seriously, my 9i is now my 150 club and my 8i is now my 165 club, how in the crap does that happen? It can't be just from things warming up outside and making it easier to compress, I think it really has just got to have alot to do with once you get in a groove with these they beg for you to truly get after the ball...and I have. I think I'm just creating more lag now and embracing my swing while KNOWING the i20's will NOT let me down when I do so. Hell, I hit a 162 yard 9i today from a flat lie with NO wind because I thought I needed to get after it, I've never hit a ball that far with a 9i in my LIFE.

It will be interesting to see if this continues when I have one of those slightly off days that we all do have in this wacky game. All I know is it has changed all of my distances now and it really is just super strange. I can rationalize it like I have here...but that doesn't mean it still doesn't make me shake my head every time I grabbed an 8i for a 165 yard shot today.

I'll keep popping in. These irons are so good they deserve it, period.

Nice post Jman! I have been dying to get these for what seems like forever now. I have started to lose my resolve that I will ever own these, but posts like this make me so excited again. Someday I will have my i20s! I hope they treat me as well as they have treated you.

Ok, I've had a chance to try the new clubs out (one round by myself, one warm-up session on the range, and one round with a playing partner). Here's my input so far:

1. As most have said these clubs will NOT fix an errant swing or swing fault. You can still hit the ball badly :act-up:.
2. I will need a few more rounds before I can dial in my distances. I'm definitely seeing some distances being different from my last set of irons (particularly with the short irons and the tour-s wedges).
3. Hitting the ball flush with these irons is a thing of beauty!! The ball just seems to take off so effortlessly.

My round yesterday (played Arizona National with a friend) was quite interesting. It was sweet at times and frustrating at times (pretty demanding course). My warm-up on the range felt good and I felt like I was hitting the ball flush. That carried into the opening of my round. Towards the turn I had a bit of a problem with a par 3 which got me frustrated. From there I had a stretch of a few holes where I couldn't seem to hit any of my iron shots well. Many topped shots, toe shots, etc. My playing partner then commented that my swing looked "rushed" after the backswing (he said he could definitely see a change in my swing). I then made an effort to slow my swing tempo down and finished the round with good solid contact again.

Bottom line - don't expect these clubs to correct a poor swing or keep you from mishitting the ball. However, if you just execute a smooth swing the clubs will definitely elevate your game!

More to come with my learning experiences!

Nice post Jman! I have been dying to get these for what seems like forever now. I have started to lose my resolve that I will ever own these, but posts like this make me so excited again. Someday I will have my i20s! I hope they treat me as well as they have treated you.

Thanks Doc! Dude, I know its been an incredible pain in the arse for you to get them, but I promise you are going to be blown away when its all finally said and done...I genuinely believe that. Its crazy though, I was talking to the club pro about it today, I just believe I can pull off the shots with these, I really do...and its been to where alot of times I do. Craziness to me, even MONTHS into gaming them now.

Was fitted for mine on Thursday at the Carnoustie Golf Shop,just got a call this morning saying they've arrived ,hows that for service, Ping are the best for customer service and delivery. Looking forward to getting theses bad boys into action at the weekend.

I'm really starting to get in the grove with my i20's over the past two weeks. I have been hitting more GIR's than I ever have. I recently shot a 77 which included my first under par 9 hole side ever. Not only am I hitting the green, I am giving myself good birdie looks.

I shot a 38 last night that included 2 birdies, 3 nearly missed birdies, 2 bogeys, and 1 double(bad drive and penalty). I am suppose to play 18 tomorrow afternoon and hope I can keep improving.

So I would like to just go on the record as saying that I flew...yes FLEW a 183 yard back of the green with my i20 8i yesterday. A minuscule breeze at my back but no more than a couple of extra yards could've been had from it. It wasn't even ruffling the branches on the trees.

So that'll be the last time I choose the short club and swing out of my shoes. I mean it was cool to hear the "holy $&@?" from my buddy but chipping on instead of putting for bird sucks.

BTW my 8i is my 165-170 club.

Apologies for skimming a 210 page thread but has anyone had experience with the Ping i20 versus the Nike VR-S forged irons?
Curious about a comparison... My blade experiment I believe is just about up and would like better scores and not just better feedback of my mishits... (which the blades do awfully well). These two offerings are probably near the top of my list based on feedback here and a friend's experience with the VR-S but I need to go hit them to see...
Thanks!

So I would like to just go on the record as saying that I flew...yes FLEW a 183 yard back of the green with my i20 8i yesterday. A minuscule breeze at my back but no more than a couple of extra yards could've been had from it. It wasn't even ruffling the branches on the trees.

So that'll be the last time I choose the short club and swing out of my shoes. I mean it was cool to hear the "holy $&@?" from my buddy but chipping on instead of putting for bird sucks.

BTW my 8i is my 165-170 club.

that is stepping on it, now I know for a fact there are plenty of breezy days where you are, it might be very confusing pulling a club for a downwind 180 yard shot, medium high pitching wedge, or high 54 SW???

Great thread, so I just had to join THP!

Well after reading about how good these irons are, I decided to go for a fitting today. I tried various shaft combo's and was amazed by the different results each shaft produced. I tried KBS stiff, DG S300 and CFS regular and stiff. I settled on the CFS stiffs although a high ball flight the spin was lower and the dispersion much tighter, Averaging 170yds with a 7 iron.

My order was: i20 blue dot, 4-PW with CFS stiff shafts... Hopefully get them within four weeks (delivery to Ping Hong Kong)

In the meantime I'm still happy to play my i15's until my new toys arrive.

Thanks for all the advice

Fantastic! Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your i20 story.

I wouldn't mind hearing some of your thoughts comparing these to the 15's. What's the big differences for you?

Fantastic! Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your i20 story.

I wouldn't mind hearing some of your thoughts comparing these to the 15's. What's the big differences for you?

I think it's too early to say until I game them. I've only got fitted for them today but I think the shafts make a big difference as I have awt stiffs in the i15's and the CFS felt great in the i20's. Obviously ascetically the i20's look better than the i15's but I don't anticipate the performance to be miles apart, just maybe a fraction longer

I was thinking of replacing the shafts in my i15's but with the expense, I might as well buy the latest i20 with the shafts that I want and sell the i15's on the bay.

Will definitely keep you posted on a side by side comparison once I receive and start gaming the i20's

Back