Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

So, what did I miss? I had to work today, and between appointments I was Montying out 100+ shrimp scampi. I'm assuming the U.S. squad, their spirits dampened by the gentle early Autumn Welsh drizzle, are getting their pampered asses kicked? I know our poor target golf boys just can't be handling these conditions well at all. The Euros, their skin already leathered from many years of play in the howling wind and pounding rain, except for Poulter who appears to have the creamiest skin of all the competitors aside from the two babies, probably took that early lead and ran it into a right smart drubbing.

Am I close in my assumptions?

Kevin

Of course he's tight. He's Irish. They're tight ten minutes after they get out of bed. It's Guinness morning, noon, and night for those Irish boys. Well, not all the time. Sometimes they drink whiskey with their potatoes.

Kevin

Tiger Woods and Matt Kuchar consider the Welsh scenery during the opening ceremonies.

Kevin

article-1316589-0B6BA1C0000005DC-597_634x830.jpg

Kevin is cracking me up, this is way too funny.

I know the early weather reports for the weekend called for the kind of conditions on Saturday that we saw on Friday afternoon and then back to more rain on Sunday. I think the weather conditions will be immensely important. If we have conditions like we had on Friday late afternoon that will be a major advantage for the US team. If we get the kinds of conditions we had in the morning that will be a major advantage for the Euro team. In fact as I had indicated in an earlier post, we can be very thankful that the teams came out into the sunlight after the break as I believe that the much better weather along with players probably taking it upon themselves to make a better showing than they had to that point made the afternoon sessions for the US team. I think the advantage one way or the other is both physical and mental as the better weather will really help to boost the confidence of the US team.

The rescheduling will be a real issue for the US team as now all 12 members will be playing almost regardless of format (four ball, singles etc). The course favors shot makers and we have big hitters in the main. On the one hand one element of the team that has turned out to be a bit of a weakness in my view Pavin, has been neutralized as the captain can shuffle people around a bit but he really can’t make decisions like resting someone or hiding someone. The downside for us is that those big hitters will not be hitting the fairways and thus the greens in regulation as much as the Euro counterparts. That brings us back to the weather. The rough appears almost unplayable when the rain is falling and the wind is howling. While it will not be any fun is it is dry at least team USA has a chance then. So as I said above it sort of boils down to the weather. If the weather is OK some of team USA’s shortcomings will not hurt as much and we have a real shot in my view. If we have more days like today and worse if they are just good enough to continue play I think we will likely be in real trouble.

There is one seed of an undercurrent here that I actually kind of like that may also help us. While I think the players themselves taking advantage of the better weather are in large part responsible for the turnaround we saw today, the players are also not allowing Pavin to be roasted for what in my view is some pretty shoddy management. I know that at least Phil thinks that Westwood ruling was a real home town call. To me there is developing something of a real underdog spirit in that team. Frankly they are something of an underdog anyway. Now the schedule is against them as well. I think they are going to gut this thing out and I think they could well be on a refuse to lose track. As long as the weather does not come back to haunt them in a big way I really think they have a shot to win. The wild card here might be the Molinari’s since they may turn out to be formidable enough as a team to just be a points machine. The potential Molinari machine combined with the fact that Phil and Tiger appear not to have arrived at their hotels yet could turn out to be their undoing. My real hope is that the US kids just blow everybody away and carry us to a very satisfying victory.

3 letters! USA! USA! USA! USA! Be up around 6 to watch!

I'll leave you with one thing and that's all I'm gonna say.... "I'm a big believer in fate. I have a good feeling about tomorrow. That's all I'm gonna say."

Well we got more at the end of the day on the Raingeargate story. Sun Mountain produced a ******** press release about how many people and teams they outfit bla bla bla. The fact is that Sun Mountain no longer has a deal with Gor-tex which makes their go to material their proprietary rain flex and there is the problem.

I own a rain flex jacket so I know what it is and what it is not capable of doing. Sun Mountain markets rain flex clothing as waterproof and it simply is not waterproof. In fact one of the reporters said that Team Pavin took Sun Mountain’s word for the moisture integrity of rain flex instead of testing it themselves and got burned in the process. My problem even with that is that I am not the only guy that knows what rain flex is and is not capable of. You can read review after review that will basically say the same thing. They will take a drizzle to a modest rain for a limited period of time. However eventually the weave that actually offers a benefit under the right conditions does the garment in and you are done and dusted. You are soaked to the bone and your only option will be to get out of the garment.

Some players and a few journalists are insisting that any garment would have soaked through under those conditions. Did you see what the Euros looked like compared to our guys when they finally called play? Our guys were standing there in their 50 pound jackets, water running out of their golf bags while the Euros looked just fine and in fact were just fine. I have a rain suit that would have survived the worst of that for an hour or so. There are a number of rain suits most using Gortex that would have survived for an hour or two. The Sun Mountain Tour lite suit using rain flex is not one of them. You wear rain flex when you expect a little moisture in the air, like a drizzle, and something like spring like temperatures. It does nothing for cold, nothing for wind and nothing for real rainfall. It is however quiet, it stretches a great deal and will work for most of the inclement conditions that golfers are willing to deal with in this country. However it is not by any means waterproof.

Team Pavin should have done at least a cursory investigation of Sun Mountain garments made with rain flex as even a cursory review would have exposed rainflex and its real capabilities relative to moisture resistance. This is another debacle like the airplane that was too small, and the golf bags that are water buckets and on and on.

I'm not loving the lilac sweaters the U.S. are wearing. Is that another Mrs Pavin special?

Overton and Watson are looking a good pairing.

I'm not loving the lilac sweaters the U.S. are wearing. Is that another Mrs Pavin special?

Overton and Watson are looking a good pairing.

Props for team Euro styling today. Even Snaggletooth Westwood looks sharp out there. Lilac and men's golf should never be used in the same sentence.

Is it just me or is One-T packing on some pounds lately (lilac and the camera must add 10 pounds)? The 2 rooks are holding up, Cink's putter is hopefully still on fire, Kooch has got to snap out of it, Phil looks a little lost and DJ can only do so much, and if Stricker can get hot with the flat stick watch out.

Another observation... are golfers the worst high fivers ever? I've seen some flat out misses, grazes, non-committals, non-coordination. I want to see some fist bump with an explosion action with a little a$$ slap to finish. C'mon man!

Another observation... are golfers the worst high fivers ever? I've seen some flat out misses, grazes, non-committals, non-coordination. I want to see some fist bump with an explosion action with a little a$$ slap to finish. C'mon man!

Overton and Watson have resorted to hugging to avoid punching each others lights out with a badly co-ordinated high five.

Props for team Euro styling today. Even Snaggletooth Westwood looks sharp out there. Lilac and men's golf should never be used in the same sentence.

Is it just me or is One-T packing on some pounds lately (lilac and the camera must add 10 pounds)? The 2 rooks are holding up, Cink's putter is hopefully still on fire, Kooch has got to snap out of it, Phil looks a little lost and DJ can only do so much, and if Stricker can get hot with the flat stick watch out.

It's probably that bacon flavored popcorn he's been eating

The U.S is on fire this morning. Figuratively.

Overton and Watson are pretty much home and hosed already.

Morning Spanks! Been up since 3?

Where I'm at it's only 1A. So yeah, i've been up since 12A. So I'll be rolling off to bed soon hopefully when 4ball is over.

Where I'm at it's only 1A. So yeah, i've been up since 12A. So I'll be rolling off to bed soon hopefully when 4ball is over.

the Bubba match may be over soon....so will the Mickelson Match.

first point goes to Europe...Westwoon/Kaymer defeat Mickelson/Johnson 3 and 2

Europe 1 USA 0

first point goes to Europe...Westwoon/Kaymer defeat Mickelson/Johnson 3 and 2

Deservedly so. Phil's not on his A game and DJ looks like he was going through the motions. Pretty disappointing first pairing for the US.

Deservedly so. Phil's not on his A game and DJ looks like he was going through the motions. Pretty disappointing first pairing for the US.

DJ did not look good at all. His short irons were all over the place.

really Phil disappointed in a Ryder Cup match?

why when every European player makes a putt they shout COME ON!!! Noticed it in 08 too.

why when every European player makes a putt they shout COME ON!!! Noticed it in 08 too.

I think it's a football thing. I'm not sure when it started, but we've always said it when something good happens.

I think it's a football thing. I'm not sure when it started, but we've always said it when something good happens.

ok good so its not me then. Rory's bomb just brougt back flashbacks to sergio @ Valahalla.

Back