Odyssey DART Putters

Rolled the mallet version today while waiting for my Golftec lesson to start tonight (they didn't have a backstryke). I was making 3/5 from 18 ft which is better than anytime I can remember using my putter on the same floor. I honestly think that if I knew the right putter length for me I would have already ordered it. But... I don't know my ideal length so I am off the hook.

The only worry that I really have is that the insert is sooooo soft. I wonder how distance control will be on slow greens and on long putts.

This is my biggest concern as well Rx. I know the thing is deadly from about 15' and in, but how is it on lag putts? I can't wait to find out.

This is my biggest concern as well Rx. I know the thing is deadly from about 15' and in, but how is it on lag putts? I can't wait to find out.

This is my exact concern also. That dang insert and just the overall feel so suuuuuper soft. I struggled with lag putting with my Backstrykes.

This is my exact concern also. That dang insert and just the overall feel so suuuuuper soft. I struggled with lag putting with my Backstrykes.
This will be interesting, so far I haven't been able to practice a putt say over 20 feet or so with this but the one thing that I really notice is how the ball just comes off the face so smoothly and you really feel like you barely have to hit it to get the ball to roll say 15 feet. I love the feel of the insert from that respect, but now you guys have me wondering how it'll perform from long distance. I guess one answer would be to hit it closer to the hole, but that's easier said than done!

This will be interesting, so far I haven't been able to practice a putt say over 20 feet or so with this but the one thing that I really notice is how the ball just comes off the face so smoothly and you really feel like you barely have to hit it to get the ball to roll say 15 feet. I love the feel of the insert from that respect, but now you guys have me wondering how it'll perform from long distance. I guess one answer would be to hit it closer to the hole, but that's easier said than done!

For me the real test will be outside on a real green. Ive used it on putts inside GG but that fake green and everything slanted into the hole is BS. Im really looking forward to rolling it outside. I hope the putters arrive soon.

I am the exact opposite. I went with the BackStryke because it was so much easier for me to lag putt with it compared to my previous putter. I always seem to leave it no more then 4-5 feet from the hole on long putts and then that 4-5 footer just feels automatic for me with it.

I have the White Hot XG insert putter and basing a little off of that I'm not too worried about lag putting. I think once you all have the putter in hand, you'll be able to figure out the stroke.

Maybe I'm a little uneducated on the subject but why would a soft insert be any tougher than a harder faced putter for longer putts?

Definitely a serious question on my part because I don't always pin hunt so this could really help me out in a lot of ways.

I was wondering the exact same thing?

I have the White Hot XG insert putter and basing a little off of that I'm not too worried about lag putting. I think once you all have the putter in hand, you'll be able to figure out the stroke.

Maybe I'm a little uneducated on the subject but why would a soft insert be any tougher than a harder faced putter for longer putts?

I find with inserts that if I miss the sweet spot on long putts, I see a terrible loss in distance. Ideally, I don't want to miss the sweet spot but if for some reason I catch the putt a bit on the toe, it's not near as soft or hot off the face.

That makes a lot of sense TC. I'm thinking about some graphics I saw of how one of the inserts line was layered and I could never understand why my XG insert seemed to point out the sweet spot. Makes sense now man, good lookin out! Sometimes I take for granted the sweetspot on a putter if that makes sense.

I find with inserts that if I miss the sweet spot on long putts, I see a terrible loss in distance. Ideally, I don't want to miss the sweet spot but if for some reason I catch the putt a bit on the toe, it's not near as soft or hot off the face.

That makes a lot of sense TC. I'm thinking about some graphics I saw of how one of the inserts line was layered and I could never understand why my XG insert seemed to point out the sweet spot. Makes sense now man, good lookin out! Sometimes I take for granted the sweetspot on a putter if that makes sense.

I hear ya. It's one of the reasons I am such a terrible putter with the heel shafted putter. I wasn't consistently hitting the ball in the center of the insert and not only can you feel the difference, you can hear it, and the putts always came up way short, like One-T short.

Lol poor One T. I always assumed the whole insert was a sweetspot if that makes sense. I could feel a bad stroke but I always attributed that to picking my head up or something other than missing the sweetspot.

Is it almost safe to say the mallets are easier to keep on line, increasing your chance to keep hitting the sweetspot?

I hear ya. It's one of the reasons I am such a terrible putter with the heel shafted putter. I wasn't consistently hitting the ball in the center of the insert and not only can you feel the difference, you can hear it, and the putts always came up way short, like One-T short.

Lol poor One T. I always assumed the whole insert was a sweetspot if that makes sense. I could feel a bad stroke but I always attributed that to picking my head up or something other than missing the sweetspot.

Is it almost safe to say the mallets are easier to keep on line, increasing your chance to keep hitting the sweetspot?

From my limited experience with the DART, yes sir, it's so much easier to hit the sweet spot, and aim, so I'm assuming I'm gonna make a whole shat load of putts.

It's all coming together now. It makes complete sense why one backstryke seemed softer than the other backstryke when I was rolling them. The setup probably fit better which equaled more sweetspot goodness. This is good info my friend!

I think you will be too and to be honest its a little scary lol.

From my limited experience with the DART, yes sir, it's so much easier to hit the sweet spot, and aim, so I'm assuming I'm gonna make a whole shat load of putts.

This is exactly what has killed me in the early going this year while trying to move to a blade putter. I've missed the sweet spot and I swear the thing gets half way there is all. The DART should certainly be easier to get good contact thus making those lag putts easier than what I'm seeing now. I could use that putter now please!! :smile:

Lol, I keep doing the looking at the doorstep thing. No expectations of delivery but I can't help myself.

This is exactly what has killed me in the early going this year while trying to move to a blade putter. I've missed the sweet spot and I swear the thing gets half way there is all. The DART should certainly be easier to get good contact thus making those lag putts easier than what I'm seeing now. I could use that putter now please!! :smile:

this is what I found I when I used a heel shafted blade putter...switching to a cs mid-mallet has made me more consistent at hitting the sweet spot on the insert

That being said, I found the insert on the DART to be a little soft for and the alignment aid a little busy for my taste when I rolled one at my local GG

That being said, I found the insert on the DART to be a little soft for and the alignment aid a little busy for my taste when I rolled one at my local GG

I felt the same way about the alignment aid. I liked the feel of the insert though

I thought so too at first. I rarely even use the alignment aid on a golf ball or my current putter and I couldn't imagine it being helpful. Once the associate on PGA SS walked me through it, I was draining putts or real close too especially on the 10-15 footers. Different strokes obviously but it was awesome haha.

this is what I found I when I used a heel shafted blade putter...switching to a cs mid-mallet has made me more consistent at hitting the sweet spot on the insert

Lol, I keep doing the looking at the doorstep thing. No expectations of delivery but I can't help myself.
I do the same thing, the second I can be expecting something I start looking immediately, even though it may not be humanly possible to get the item there that fast, I still start looking. I've found that the second I stop looking the item shows up, so let's try that!

Lol. Good call. I think on my out to dinner Im gonna stop by a golf shop and roll these again. Haha, that'll cure the need for a bit :)

I do the same thing, the second I can be expecting something I start looking immediately, even though it may not be humanly possible to get the item there that fast, I still start looking. I've found that the second I stop looking the item shows up, so let's try that!

Lol. Good call. I think on my out to dinner Im gonna stop by a golf shop and roll these again. Haha, that'll cure the need for a bit :)
I've stopped probably 4 times in the past few weeks just to visit the DART mallet and roll some on their greens. I never buy anything, just come in and roll the putter and leave. They're probably sick of me! Although the other day I did pick up a sleeve of each the Tour i (s) and Tour i (z) ball to test them out head to head so I did buy something.

I've stopped probably 4 times in the past few weeks just to visit the DART mallet and roll some on their greens. I never buy anything, just come in and roll the putter and leave. They're probably sick of me! Although the other day I did pick up a sleeve of each the Tour i (s) and Tour i (z) ball to test them out head to head so I did buy something.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the balls as well Jake. The i(z) was awesome the 1st time out for me.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the balls as well Jake. The i(z) was awesome the 1st time out for me.
I'm playing Saturday, 9 holes with 1 and 9 with the other. I have yet to hit either one at all so I'm really looking forward to it. I'll share my findings in the MC thread. As for the DART I'm pretty sure lag putts will be just fine, much easier than the blade I'm using now and probably amazingly easy to line up and get closer to the hole. Heck you never know, 1 of those long lag putts actually go down per round and just like that the DART is improving the way we play.

For those interested in this line, you will be happy to know that we have asked Callaway to come on THP Radio to discuss it. That show will be this week for everybody and I am excited to hear more.

Back