NUNCHUK Shaft Review

Swingweight IMO is the least important thing to fit for, unless something is WAY off. I like the concept of the shaft but his concept of fitting is ridonkulous.

So instead of fitting for flex, you fit for his design specs?

I think the length fitting is just as important. This shaft should be able to be but trimmed and tip trimmed to spec to get the proper fitting and balance point, instead of making a broad sweeping statement of "44 inches is best for everyone".

I like the idea of the flexless shaft, but not the idea of everyone should play 44" for it to work properly. Thats like saying your car will stop at every red light if you let it coast far enough.

Swingweight IMO is the least important thing to fit for, unless something is WAY off. I like the concept of the shaft but his concept of fitting is ridonkulous.

Im with Thainer on this one 10000%.

Maybe thats why online reviews of this shaft are so popular in 3 woods and fairways? Because thats what fits the designers specs to work properly.

So instead of fitting for flex, you fit for his design specs?

I think the length fitting is just as important. This shaft should be able to be but trimmed and tip trimmed to spec to get the proper fitting and balance point, instead of making a broad sweeping statement of "44 inches is best for everyone".

I like the idea of the flexless shaft, but not the idea of everyone should play 44" for it to work properly. Thats like saying your car will stop at every red light if you let it coast far enough.

I don't really understand your gripe here. No where does it state that the shaft has to be played at 44" or less. That's what is recommended. Kind of like a speed limit in a way. The simple fact is, the average tour driver shaft length is 44.5". Why? I think b/c there is much more of a premium of hitting fwys than creaming the ball.

I can't confirm any distance gains or losses yet b/c I've only been on the range but I don't really care. It's simple, if you want a shaft to significantly lower your launch and to increase accuracy, look no further. Personally, I would love to see someone test the shaft at 45.5" or 46" but as for me, after speaking a few times with Mr. McCall, I decided to go with 44". Kind of similar to the way you respect the advice received from Mr. Boccieri, no?

As far as the weight of the shaft creating fatigue: again, I need more time with it. I imagine if I hit it all day on the range it could get tiresome, but the reality is that around here, I might hit driver 5 or 6 times in a round. That's not too bad.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I never once said you shouldnt respect his advice. I just personally think that him recommending to everyone to play it as 44 or less is a bit of a sweeping statement. Especially because he does so to get the kickpoint in the right spot on shaft, and calling it fitting.

I never once said you shouldnt respect his advice. I just personally think that him recommending to everyone to play it as 44 or less is a bit of a sweeping statement. Especially because he does so to get the kickpoint in the right spot on shaft, and calling it fitting.

When did anyone ever say anything about the kick point? All he said was that he believes that at 44" or less, the shaft he created is more effective. No different than another company making a lighter, longer shaft and saying their shaft is more effective there. The only true way to dtermine anything is to get it, try it, and see what happens.

The shaft design and specs are extremely different than 99.99% of the shafts on the market. If you are someone who is interested in this shaft or bought it already, I don't understand why you would want to set it up a) just like you do any other 60g shaft that you can buy or B) against how the person who designed it is recommending you play it.

Yes, the length recommendation is a sweeping generalization. Sure, if you are 6'5" and very strong, then by all means set it up at 45". The inventor has said that these recommendations are for 95% of the golfers out there. It is one size fits all - but the "one" is not quite 100% of everyone. If you don't set it up to his parameters (minimum of 10.5* loft, 43.5 - 44", D1/2 SW) and don't get decent performance, I think you owe it to yourself to at least try his suggestions and see what happens.

In no way does the designer state you are going to get increased distance over a normal driver shaft. That is not the intent. The intent is to improve accuracy while not losing significant distance, or maintaining your current distance. I think JB earlier in the thread said he lost 5 - 7 yards and thought that significant. Me, I would take that loss in distance for say increasing my accuracy from 6 FIRs to 9 FIRs. and being closer to the fairway for the other misses. Sure, I would be foregoing the occasional 280 yard blast, but I suspect my game would improve.

I think JB earlier in the thread said he lost 5 - 7 yards and thought that significant. Me, I would take that loss in distance for say increasing my accuracy from 6 FIRs to 9 FIRs. and being closer to the fairway for the other misses. Sure, I would be foregoing the occasional 280 yard blast, but I suspect my game would improve.

I think this greatly depends on the person. I am not long off the tee now, so losing 7 yards or so can be a bigger deal for me than for others. Secondly, I also dont struggle too much with accuracy off the tee, as I play a nice controlled cut or straight ball. I am however a huge fan of forgiveness on misses, because unlike so many on the internet, I miss quite a bit. That is where I am struggling here or did with this shaft. Because when I did miss, it seemed to go no where.

Now, I have not done a lot of testing yet and I will be continuing to test this one out, but if I had to make an assessment after 1,2 trials, I would say that for my game there are vastly superior items for my swing. This is just me though, and I am sure that others will find this beneficial.

I think this greatly depends on the person. I am not long off the tee now, so losing 7 yards or so can be a bigger deal for me than for others. Secondly, I also dont struggle too much with accuracy off the tee, as I play a nice controlled cut or straight ball. I am however a huge fan of forgiveness on misses, because unlike so many on the internet, I miss quite a bit. That is where I am struggling here or did with this shaft. Because when I did miss, it seemed to go no where.

Now, I have not done a lot of testing yet and I will be continuing to test this one out, but if I had to make an assessment after 1,2 trials, I would say that for my game there are vastly superior items for my swing. This is just me though, and I am sure that others will find this beneficial.

Agreed - if you are already hitting a large number of fairways, then this shaft might not be for you. I'm making an assumption here, but one part of the suggestion for the 43.5 - 44" length recommendation is probably to decrease the number of mishits for most people relative to playing a 45.5 - 46" shaft that are standard in most drivers these days.

If someone is averaging 245 off the tee, 7 yards is 3% loss of distance and may or may not require a change of club to reach the green. But for someone who struggles with accuracy, losing the distance could mean no change in average club hit into the green if the second shot is from the fairway vs the rough.

Different than you, I do struggle with accuracy off of the tee. And my swing gets way long with the driver. I played yesterday and hit the driver 6 times. 2 FIRs, 1 big pull that did not get me in trouble, 2 big pushes that turned out OK, and a huge draw/hook that turned out OK. Each of the pushes/draws did cost me a stroke due to being in the rough, but I lucked out and did not need to take a penalty. This Nunchuck might be what I need to settle down my swing and put it out there 245 - 255, but in the fairway, vs. 255 - 270 but all over the place right now.

One more question for you JB - you did say it was set up at 44" and D2, what about the loft of the driver head? Is it at least 10.5* effective loft?

One more question for you JB - you did say it was set up at 44" and D2, what about the loft of the driver head? Is it at least 10.5* effective loft?

yes, I play a 10.5 degree head and it is every bit of that in effective loft.
Heading out today to test again.

yes, I play a 10.5 degree head and it is every bit of that in effective loft.
Heading out today to test again.
Excellent - can't wait to hear the report back.

I will have more thoughts coming up soon, but I have some questions for those that are just loving this shaft.
1. Were you fitted previously for your previous shaft?
2. What were your spin numbers normally like?
3. Do you feel the shaft load and unload now? Previously?
4. Have you ever thought about putting a steel shaft in your driver?

I took this one out to Grand Cypress today and hit it on the range for over an hour. Also put it in play for 6 holes (there are members practice holes there). To me it feels similar to having a steel shaft in my driver. Not only is the ball flight too low for me to achieve proper launch conditions, the ball was routinely 10+ yards shorter than what I am normally at on these holes. It is getting less spin, there is no question about that, but I do believe that "less spin" is not only not right for everybody, it can be quite detrimental for a lot of golfers. Especially those that need that spin to create carry off the tee.

I would like to see those that are loving this shaft find a way to compare this shaft to a 44" steel shaft in the same driver. And then take another properly fit graphite shaft and see where they stack up. Its not easy to pull off, and maybe its something more THP Outing specific, but I think people would be very much interested in the results and I have a feeling I know which way they would come out.

I'm curious about the "flexless" aspect. How does the shaft feel during the loading unloading portion of the swing? I'm trying to wrap my head around the feedback you guys are giving but (not a knock on ya'll) I can't for the life get an idea of how this shaft feels at the top and just after impact. Does it feel softer than your normal shaft, or more firm?

Thanks for posting your observations. If someone's launch is too low with the Nunchuck, couldn't they use a driver head with more loft to achieve better launch conditions? So instead of launching high and ballooning, it would launch high with lower spin and roll out a little bit? And there would be added benefit of reducing side spin due to the nature of the higher lofted driver, correct? I would like to see this added to a THP Outing specific test, should there be one.

So instead of a properly fit 60g stiff flex on a 9.5* head that for instance launches at 13* w/2800 backspin, someone might be better fit in a Nunchuck on a 12.5* head that launches at 12.5* with similar backspin. This might be a better driving club since it could (and I stress could) find more fairways for the majority of golfers.

The more I am reading about this, I want to try (funds permitting) and put this combo together. It will take me some time to find the right driver head (maybe an older Ping as they normally have more loft than stated) and a used Nunchuck within my budget. But this is something I am looking forward to trying.

Interesting stuff JB. Sounds like a 12* head would help. But that seems like a ton of work to get this shaft to work.

I missed this, but is it in a Supertri?

I will have more thoughts coming up soon, but I have some questions for those that are just loving this shaft.
1. Were you fitted previously for your previous shaft?
2. What were your spin numbers normally like?
3. Do you feel the shaft load and unload now? Previously?
4. Have you ever thought about putting a steel shaft in your driver?

I took this one out to Grand Cypress today and hit it on the range for over an hour. Also put it in play for 6 holes (there are members practice holes there). To me it feels similar to having a steel shaft in my driver. Not only is the ball flight too low for me to achieve proper launch conditions, the ball was routinely 10+ yards shorter than what I am normally at on these holes. It is getting less spin, there is no question about that, but I do believe that "less spin" is not only not right for everybody, it can be quite detrimental for a lot of golfers. Especially those that need that spin to create carry off the tee.

I would like to see those that are loving this shaft find a way to compare this shaft to a 44" steel shaft in the same driver. And then take another properly fit graphite shaft and see where they stack up. Its not easy to pull off, and maybe its something more THP Outing specific, but I think people would be very much interested in the results and I have a feeling I know which way they would come out.

Interesting stuff JB. Sounds like a 12* head would help. But that seems like a ton of work to get this shaft to work.

I agree - it is a ton of work to get this set up correctly. I think this is because the design is so out of norm of what is being produced, the components needed to get it right are not readily available (high lofted heavy headed driver head). To me, this is a niche product and if someone is really interested in making it work, then they are probably ready to put in the extra effort to get it set up right for them. I think you need to commit to getting the setup right. If after you do all that and you aren't hitting more fairways, then it was a failed experiment. The problem is it isn't necessarily a cheap experiment!

I'm curious about the "flexless" aspect. How does the shaft feel during the loading unloading portion of the swing? I'm trying to wrap my head around the feedback you guys are giving but (not a knock on ya'll) I can't for the life get an idea of how this shaft feels at the top and just after impact. Does it feel softer than your normal shaft, or more firm?

Dead. There is no loading that I felt. I've hit X and XX shafts and can feel it loading this shaft I felt nothing.

Dead. There is no loading that I felt. I've hit X and XX shaft and can feel it loading this shaft I felt nothing.

According to the inventor, this is a good thing because without "load" (and flex and droop), there is nothing to time. You simply need to get your hands to the ball and the shaft will square itself up at the right time.

Again, I have never hit this shaft so I am just relaying what I have read elsewhere. It makes sense in theory to me, but I wonder in practice switching from this driver to a hybrid to irons in the same round swing to swing, and how that would work.

You feel nothing, which is what you are supposed to feel according to the product. I personally dont care for that at all. Its like hitting a steel shaft in my driver.

Thanks for posting your observations. If someone's launch is too low with the Nunchuck, couldn't they use a driver head with more loft to achieve better launch conditions? So instead of launching high and ballooning, it would launch high with lower spin and roll out a little bit? And there would be added benefit of reducing side spin due to the nature of the higher lofted driver, correct? I would like to see this added to a THP Outing specific test, should there be one.

So instead of a properly fit 60g stiff flex on a 9.5* head that for instance launches at 13* w/2800 backspin, someone might be better fit in a Nunchuck on a 12.5* head that launches at 12.5* with similar backspin. This might be a better driving club since it could (and I stress could) find more fairways for the majority of golfers.

The more I am reading about this, I want to try (funds permitting) and put this combo together. It will take me some time to find the right driver head (maybe an older Ping as they normally have more loft than stated) and a used Nunchuck within my budget. But this is something I am looking forward to trying.

Yes I could change lofts to get it right (maybe), but at what point are the returns diminishing. If I can get optimal launch numbers with a different shaft, why bother having to purchase another head just to match up with this shaft. And of course make sure that the head I want is available in 12 degrees. At the same time, it does not take the place of the fact that it feels like a crowbar rather than a golf shaft and while that may work for some, for me it feels off.

Add to that the fact that my swing speed is slightly lower with this shaft and I am struggling to see the appeal for my game. Sure, I think some people that struggle greatly to keep the ball low enough, could benefit, but I also think they could benefit from a full blown fitting as well.

With all things being equal, the goal for ANY driver is to fit into proper launch conditions to maximize both distance and accuracy.

According to the inventor, this is a good thing because without "load" (and flex and droop), there is nothing to time. You simply need to get your hands to the ball and the shaft will square itself up at the right time.

Again, I have never hit this shaft so I am just relaying what I have read elsewhere. It makes sense in theory to me, but I wonder in practice switching from this driver to a hybrid to irons in the same round swing to swing, and how that would work.

I strongly urge to try it first.

Hopefully I can try and clear up some questions about this shaft with my plans that I'm making for Friday afternoon. I plan on taking this shaft along with my supertri when it gets here, as well as my Adams 9032 that I have been playing for the last year up to Golf headquarters for some LM time. With the combo of these I want to test my current driver ( 9032 10.5 YSQ-x) that I self fit myself for; Super Tri 10.5 with Fubuki -x (I was fit for this shaft during a demo about a year ago with the Nike rep), and the Super Tri with the nunchuk.

Hopefully with this shaft/head combo I can fine tune the loft and weight via a TM weight Kit to see what kind of LM numbers it can put up Vrs these other two options. I've also told the head guy there some of what I'm wanting to do and plan on letting him and maybe some other folks take a rip at it while I'm up there.

Here's hoping it all plays out like I want lol.

JB what driver are you testing this shaft with?

JB what driver are you testing this shaft with?

Callaway Diablo Octane Tour.

interesting. It's a different shaft for sure. Having played tons of golf with you I can see why this shaft isn't ideal for you. I like it for my game though.

Back