New Callaway CB Wedges

These CBs definitely hit the ball higher and with less spin than any of my other wedges. But I love them for short pitches and chips.

After playing 7 of the last 9 days in the hill country of NW lower MI, I am still not sure how I feel about these wedges. They are absolute money for less than full shots, and approcahes with room for run out. But for me they just dont spin the ball as much as I am used to for uphill approaches, or shots out of the rough or to a tucked pin. They hit the ball very high and I think the intent is to stop the ball with descent angle not spin. That approach to stopping the ball is why I originally went to an aftermarket PW instead of my T300 set wedge, I'd rather bring it in lower, out of the wind and spinning. Distance control for me is much easier on a little lower trajectory. . On the other hand, that moderated spin is probably why I get great results with short pitches and chips no unexpected check ups.
I thnik it's a great wedge, especially for those who struggle with short pitches and chips. I want everything. But you cant have everything....So I have to decide where I can save more strokes, more spin or more consistent less than full shots..

After playing 7 of the last 9 days in the hill country of NW lower MI, I am still not sure how I feel about these wedges. They are absolute money for less than full shots, and approcahes with room for run out. But for me they just dont spin the ball as much as I am used to for uphill approaches, or shots out of the rough or to a tucked pin. They hit the ball very high and I think the intent is to stop the ball with descent angle not spin. That approach to stopping the ball is why I originally went to an aftermarket PW instead of my T300 set wedge, I'd rather bring it in lower, out of the wind and spinning. Distance control for me is much easier on a little lower trajectory. . On the other hand, that moderated spin is probably why I get great results with short pitches and chips no unexpected check ups.
I thnik it's a great wedge, especially for those who struggle with short pitches and chips. I want everything. But you cant have everything....So I have to decide where I can save more strokes, more spin or more consistent less than full shots..
I think you're right on the less spin than others, but since I don't spin any other clubs, I actually like that in the wedges as now from 5i to LW I get about the same amount of spin overall!

If you know Joey Coldcuts you know this is a great addition to his bag. Some really good improvement to his wedge game using the CB's.

Before league the other night I was afforded the luxury of spending some extra time at one of the chipping/putting greens at my club. Not as much time as I would’ve liked but got to play around with different ways to put some spin on these and primarily did some bump and run comparisons. I haven't had much time to try and manipulate the way I hit these, but I actually got some balls to just spin and stop pretty good. I wasn't sure I could do that with the sole, but I was wrong, just took me a little bit of time to figure out how to deliver the club head.

First picture though wanted to show how the 60 is holding up (the 54 looks pretty similar). A few scratches which are hard to see with the chrome and the picture. And you can see the scuff marks or other marks from bag chatter, etc. The other marks will come off with a magic eraser or even a good scrub I think, either way it's held up well, especially the face. I remember when I first go the clubs I accidently scraped one and got a big scratch on the face. I thought oh no these are going to get messed up quick, but that's not the case at all. These still look good and i still have no issues with the glare in the sun. I lost my brush a week ago and it’s yet to be replaced, so forgive me if these are dirty. 🤦🏻‍♂️

View attachment 9198073

So my goal that night was trying to land it just on the green and see how far they’d run between the Jaws Raw and the CB 60 degree. (I did the same with the 54 but had no time for pictures). Used the same ball for all 3 shots (Chromesoft X LS 360 TT). Was playing in the longer cut just off the fringe. Didn't have a lot of time so just hit 3 balls with each and tried to let the results speak for themselves.

View attachment 9198074

First shots are with the Jaws Raw. Little less forgiving but still feel good to me when I swing them. Like I’ve mentioned before I prefer the weight and feel of the head on the CBS these days. The Jaws just feel less stable when I swing. Greens have been fast at my club so all I was try is to bump this up on the green and let it roll towards the pin. If I had tried hitting it at the pin, the guy practicing on the other side might've taken some friendly fire to the chest. Keep in mind I’m not the most skilled golfer these days but results with Jaws 60 below.

View attachment 9198076

Same type of shots with the CB 60 degree and they just ran farther. To be fair this is not a representation of how close they got to the pin. Just literally trying to land a bump and run on the first foot of the green and see where it ends up. I was aiming towards the same pin, just to have an aiming point.

View attachment 9198078

I did the same type of thing with the 54 and had oddly different results because I think I managed to blade the CB for the first time ever :D but still very similar. Just more rollout from a face that seems a bit springier…I guess.

Again. Quick test - and not really scientific but wanted to try and provide some feedback from questions asked earlier in the thread. I’ll repeat my overall thoughts with these wedges stay the same. Forgiveness and Fun come to my head every time. They just feel good when you hit them and for someone who has struggled with wedges a lot the past few years, this is a welcome change. I had one bunker experience the other night and it wasn't positive, but I'm attributing that to having literally no practice out of them this year and a terrible swing on my part. I put some chips close Wednesday night because I’m figuring out the way these fly. Hoping to get on the simulator with them next week. For reasons I've yet to understand the landlord who owns are building at work, put a simulator in the basement and it looks like it's available to everyone. So hopefully I can reserve an hour or two and get some numbers to add in here. Looks like my next day on the course won’t be until next Wednesday unless the kids and I get out to hit some balls.
Great side by side test. The consistency on the CB looks really good. The bump and run is everything in my game so this is good to see. How far we’re you trying to go airborne ( ie how much room did you need before landing the green?)

Before league the other night I was afforded the luxury of spending some extra time at one of the chipping/putting greens at my club. Not as much time as I would’ve liked but got to play around with different ways to put some spin on these and primarily did some bump and run comparisons. I haven't had much time to try and manipulate the way I hit these, but I actually got some balls to just spin and stop pretty good. I wasn't sure I could do that with the sole, but I was wrong, just took me a little bit of time to figure out how to deliver the club head.

First picture though wanted to show how the 60 is holding up (the 54 looks pretty similar). A few scratches which are hard to see with the chrome and the picture. And you can see the scuff marks or other marks from bag chatter, etc. The other marks will come off with a magic eraser or even a good scrub I think, either way it's held up well, especially the face. I remember when I first go the clubs I accidently scraped one and got a big scratch on the face. I thought oh no these are going to get messed up quick, but that's not the case at all. These still look good and i still have no issues with the glare in the sun. I lost my brush a week ago and it’s yet to be replaced, so forgive me if these are dirty. 🤦🏻‍♂️

View attachment 9198073

So my goal that night was trying to land it just on the green and see how far they’d run between the Jaws Raw and the CB 60 degree. (I did the same with the 54 but had no time for pictures). Used the same ball for all 3 shots (Chromesoft X LS 360 TT). Was playing in the longer cut just off the fringe. Didn't have a lot of time so just hit 3 balls with each and tried to let the results speak for themselves.

View attachment 9198074

First shots are with the Jaws Raw. Little less forgiving but still feel good to me when I swing them. Like I’ve mentioned before I prefer the weight and feel of the head on the CBS these days. The Jaws just feel less stable when I swing. Greens have been fast at my club so all I was try is to bump this up on the green and let it roll towards the pin. If I had tried hitting it at the pin, the guy practicing on the other side might've taken some friendly fire to the chest. Keep in mind I’m not the most skilled golfer these days but results with Jaws 60 below.

View attachment 9198076

Same type of shots with the CB 60 degree and they just ran farther. To be fair this is not a representation of how close they got to the pin. Just literally trying to land a bump and run on the first foot of the green and see where it ends up. I was aiming towards the same pin, just to have an aiming point.

View attachment 9198078

I did the same type of thing with the 54 and had oddly different results because I think I managed to blade the CB for the first time ever :D but still very similar. Just more rollout from a face that seems a bit springier…I guess.

Again. Quick test - and not really scientific but wanted to try and provide some feedback from questions asked earlier in the thread. I’ll repeat my overall thoughts with these wedges stay the same. Forgiveness and Fun come to my head every time. They just feel good when you hit them and for someone who has struggled with wedges a lot the past few years, this is a welcome change. I had one bunker experience the other night and it wasn't positive, but I'm attributing that to having literally no practice out of them this year and a terrible swing on my part. I put some chips close Wednesday night because I’m figuring out the way these fly. Hoping to get on the simulator with them next week. For reasons I've yet to understand the landlord who owns are building at work, put a simulator in the basement and it looks like it's available to everyone. So hopefully I can reserve an hour or two and get some numbers to add in here. Looks like my next day on the course won’t be until next Wednesday unless the kids and I get out to hit some balls.
Also,
That chrome finish looks like it is going to age beautifully. I love the old style clubs with the wear (or love) marks they get from use!

Great side by side test. The consistency on the CB looks really good. The bump and run is everything in my game so this is good to see. How far we’re you trying to go airborne ( ie how much room did you need before landing the green?)

I was only 3 feet from the green in this specific test. Not a whole lot of room around this practice area at my home course.

I was only 3 feet from the green in this specific test. Not a whole lot of room around this practice area at my home course.
That’s such a common distance. Love seeing the high lifts doing well from there. I was hoping it was close to the green. 👊

I'm getting out again tomorrow morning at The Springs (House on the Rock Resort) in Spring Green, WI tomorrow. Early tee time and if I remember right this course will give several spots where a bump and run comes in handy. Might even have some time for practice at their short game area.

Probably had my best round ever with these wedges. Shot an 87 at my favorite course in Wisconsin (so far). Obviously not great and I left some shots out there but the wedges performed beautifully and I even got one out of a crazy wet bunker. We had 3 inches of rain the day before and this course was still drying out. The sand was really packed down but this went right at the hole and still held on the back of the green.

IMG_5373.jpeg
IMG_5376.jpeg

Also had a couple bump and run opportunities on the back nine and left them super close. This might be my new favorite thing to do with the 54 degree. The one below is on my favorite Par 4 to play. See picture of the tee box below. 478 yards and the fairway looks narrow but opens up and slopes right. Just love how the trees frame the fairway and the water in front

IMG_5380.jpeg

I hit a drive down the middle and then a 3 wood to the front of the green. I was about 15 yards off and just punched the 54 within inches for a satisfying par.

IMG_5381.jpeg

Just really enjoying these wedges. Might be purchasing a 48 soon to replace my approach wedge. Could make a decent 100 yard weapon. I’ll be out again Wednesday and Friday this week and will add some more thoughts.

IMG_5377.jpeg

During league Wednesday night these were the only clubs I hit really well. Had some full shots with the 54 degree that I felt really good with. Full shots with the 54 have been a struggle at times for reasons I still haven't figured out, but Wednesday night I had no issues. The wind was a big factor as it was whipping around at 25 mph all night long, but I hit the 54 to the center of the green and was seeing the distances I like to see. Had one true bump and run opportunity and I failed to convert on it this time.

The 60 degree continues to be solid all around. I just can't speak highly enough about its versatility. From just off the fringe I had a chip close to save Par on a long par 5. Got enough spin too that it didn't roll on past the cup as the pin was on a downslope.

The building that my company leases in Madison recently had a golf simulator put in that we can reserve, so yesterday I reserved it for an hour. I don't normally go into the office, but I might have to more often now. Unfortunately the simulator wasn't working so it wasn't picking up any of my swings and I didn't have a chance to try it again after the repair technician from Golfsmith showed up.

Might see if I can make something work next week, but there will definitely be some changes for me to get some simulator data and comparison with these and the Jaws Raw.

This afternoon I've got 18 with the fire department crew, so we'll have some more thoughts. Gonna try a few out of the bunkers today if I can, just see what I can do because I've honestly not had many opportunities. I guess at the very least I've been keeping myself out of sand this year, but I've found plenty of trees and tall grass.

going to order a 52* with a DART shaft to bridge the gap between my set GW and the 56, so I'll have 52/56/60 in the CB, can't wait!

going to order a 52* with a DART shaft to bridge the gap between my set GW and the 56, so I'll have 52/56/60 in the CB, can't wait!

Didn't even think about pairing a DART shaft with these and now my mind is running wild with possibilities.

Played 18 holes at my home course yesterday and probably had my worst round with these wedges. My driver was dead straight all day (a first all year for me) and then the most consistent part of my game left me. Putting and chipping were atrocious all day. God forbid I put everything together.

It was sort of a backwards day. Had some 54 degree full shots that I hit perfectly, but the half shots and bump and runs were a mystery. Just couldn't get out of my own head and the greens were running fast after some windy days here in the midwest.

The wedges still look good, still feel good, just need a day where I have it all together between the ears.

Distance control with these has gotten much better. They're so much hotter off the face I have to pick different landing spots on the green, but I'm getting better every time. The feel of them is still just addicting. You hit it well and you get instant feedback. The only negative is sometimes I feel like if you hit them too well you're flying the greens. The most disappointing thing ever is hitting them square in the middle, feeling like it was a perfect strikes (from the feedback) and then watching them roll off the back of the green. That's not the clubs fault, I'm just not used to it. I'm hitting wedge shots at least 5-10 yards farther than I did with my Jaws Raw which is good, but has taken some time to dial in.

Still hoping to get these on a simulator for some real data soon. I think I can make that happen next week, but with young kids my plans can go up in smoke in a hurry. Overall thoughts just stay the same, if you're struggling with wedges I demand you give these a try. So many of my playing partners who struggle with wedges have tried them and came away super impressed. Hoping I have a good two months left of midwest golf left so I'm looking forward to getting as much playing time as possible with these.

Didn't even think about pairing a DART shaft with these and now my mind is running wild with possibilities.
I think it could be a deadly combo and going from the Recoils in my irons I think it could be a great transition in the wedges. If it works out I have no doubt I'll get DARTs in all the CBs eventually.

Played 9 holes of pitch and putt today. I played most of the holes hitting bump & runs and knockdowns. The CBs excel at those shots.

Played 9 holes of pitch and putt today. I played most of the holes hitting bump & runs and knockdowns. The CBs excel at those shots.
Agreed, just pops and rolls so nicely!

Played 9 this morning and the CBs were fantastic. I missed several approach shots today, but the 58 in particular saved me several strokes. I was able to get up and down on three holes to save par, helping me shoot a PB for 9 holes. Best shot of the day was from about 40 yards out after I hit my approach way right of the green. Pulled the 58 and stopped it 2ft from the hole.

IMG_1310.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg

I think I’m really finding my groove with these and they’ve helped out what was a huge weakness in my game. I really can’t rave enough about the forgiveness. Out of everything, forgiveness is by far the most impactful thing that these wedges offer for me. I’m often hitting a little behind the ball on chips and pitches, but these really help get the club through the turf to minimize the chunking. Package that with a good looking wedge that sounds and feels great and I’m a happy camper. I know there’s some feedback that these spin less and I’ve seen it here and there, but as a very average weekend golfer, I don’t think the lesser spin really makes a significant difference in my game right now. These are simply helping me enjoy the game more, especially in a part of the game that is typically very challenging for me.

We had our last night of league last night and like others have said it feels like I'm finding my groove with these wedges. We teed off at 99 degrees last night so it was warm, but we had a little breeze making it a little more manageable. After a par on the first hole we headed to the hardest hole on my course. Most might look at the picture below and ask how is that hard? It's dead straight, but I can't tell you how big of a mind **** this hole is. Par 5 (520 yards from the tips) and everything left (from the tee box) is in a corn field. That farmer brings in anywhere from 8 to 10 five gallon buckets of balls every year out of his field. So you stand on the tee and are thinking anything but left from the start. Most times, for me and my natural slice, this is no problem.

So I hit my tee shot (top of the pic below in yellow) with a baby draw that hugged the tree line and ended up dead center of the fairway on the top of the hill, even with a sand trap. Wind in my face and got it about 240 yards. Purest shot I've hit with driver all year. Dead center. Grabbed a new to me 3HL Paradym fairway wood and just smoked it (first shot ever with it and just wow), again wind in my face. 220 yards-ish. Leaving me about 60 yards to the flag in the front the green.

So I pulled out the 60 degree CB and 60 yards with wind in my face gave me some pause, but with the flag in the front my goal was to hit the area before the green and try to run it up. Instead I hit it pure and put the ball right on the front edge of the green, it stuck a little bit and then rolled to 3 feet from the pin. It was probably the best hole I've played all year leaving myself an easy birdie and great start to my round.

1692881651369.png

Now the wheels fell off after that, as they do most days :ROFLMAO: but these wedges are becoming weapons for me. I've been pricing a 48 degree to add and I think it's going to be added soon. I could use a tad more forgiveness from that club than what I currently get from my approach wedge.

The only shot I haven't mastered with it is really opening it up around the greens and i think that's what I'm going to focus on next. The 54 degree has continued to be my bump and run weapon and I used that to perfection on a tricky hole with a green that runs off the front. Put it close and saved par. Once again yesterday I tried to get these guys on the simulator at work and once again the simulator was not working. I had to work with tech support for an hour to determine it wasn't going to happen, but I will get some numbers from the clubs that I can share soon. Might be able to make another trip in next week or the first full week of September.

Golf season is dwindling down here and I don't like it, but I'm going to try and play as much as I possibly can. Have another round scheduled Friday, even though we're still looking at high 90's. And now that league is done it should be easier to take my kids out in the evening and at least get some practice rounds in.

I agree, once you get used to these wedges they are crazy good. Really, really consistent.

Friday I managed to get only 9 holes in with our FD group. Actually another solid round with the wedges. I've found on my home course I'm very rarely in any situations where I need a full shot out of the 54 degree and that's probably just as well since those full shots with that club aren't always confidence inspiring for some reason. It is very good at bump and runs and I need that a lot around that course with some of the greens that are a bit elevated. I've been putting some bump and runs really close to the hole and It's just been fun to play around with. Knowing the face is very forgiving doesn't give me pause when playing that shot. I've got the feel down and I know what I need to do to get it close most of the time.

The 60 degree has been my full shot club a lot of times and I'm just finding the right spots on the green to land it and have it roll out to the pin. Forgiveness is still in abundance and I have all the confidence in the world that it's going through the turf. Just like last Wednesday I had a couple 45 yard shots that I just hit nice and easy and they rolled out to a few feet.

Sand Shots: Finally had two shots out of the sand and I could not be more pleased with how these handled them. Not gonna lie the sole shape and thickness does not inspire confidence for a player like me out of the sand, but these things got through beautifully and though I didn't have the distance control down I safely got myself on out of the sand and on the green both times. Again, just like the other spots with this club, practice with them is key and once I get the feel down I feel like this will get me out of a lot of bunkers in the future with no issue.

Few More Overall Comments: These things are just fun. I have no intention of going back to the Jaws Raw. Might even sell the ones I have after I get the chance to get some numbers off the work simulator. The finish on them is still holding up and I still have no issues with it. The shafts have sort of grown on me, though I might switch over to a graphite wedge shaft in the future just to have more consistency through the bag. It's weird though, I've oddly preferred steel in wedges and graphite in the rest of the bag for the last few years. These are the first wedges (outside of my approach wedge) where I've felt like maybe graphite shafts might make them the perfect weapon.

League is done now, so really it's going to come down to finding some time to get out when the kids don't have school/soccer/dance or other activities. I'm going to try and get into a few charity scrambles coming up as well.

Grabbed a bag and headed out to a scramble yesterday. I neglected to move the CB's into the bag. First two opportunities to hit a wedge in, I came up short, for I was playing for roll out I wasn't getting., Started throwing it at or past the pin and the approaches were much better.
But my short pitches and chipping would bite one time, roll out a bit the next time..... just not as good as I am with the CB's. I am becoming a believer..........

I agree, once you get used to these wedges they are crazy good. Really, really consistent.
Could not agree more, took them out for a range session yesterday and man do I feel dialed in with the 56/60 on full swing stuff, on chips and bumps and runs they still run a bit more than I'd like, but I think it might have something to do with how I'm hitting on them.

Can't wait to see what the 52 will be like for approaches, I really need something for that 115-125 style shot.

So true. I love these wedges. Having them now in the bag roughly 6-7 weeks, these wedges are very easy to hit, and help to minimize my wedge shanks. rarely do I hit these leading edge first. Was able to get out twice in the past week, and they performed consistently for me. Since I often find myself short on holes, I use these on almost every Par 4 hole - from roughly 30-65 yards out. For any other high handicappers on the fence, these certainly are worth a try.

So true. I love these wedges. Having them now in the bag roughly 6-7 weeks, these wedges are very easy to hit, and help to minimize my wedge shanks. rarely do I hit these leading edge first. Was able to get out twice in the past week, and they performed consistently for me. Since I often find myself short on holes, I use these on almost every Par 4 hole - from roughly 30-65 yards out. For any other high handicappers on the fence, these certainly are worth a try.
These are high on the ponder list. Which one are you using from 30ish yards out? It’s usually such a trouble spot for me. Ironically from the fairway is worse than short rough…

Back