New Callaway CB Wedges

I've been struggling with this too. Where I would normally land the ball with the Jaws Raw wedges, I have to adjust a bit and it's been a bit of a learning curve. Definitely seems harder to spin these. That said, I do enjoy getting on the green a lot more with these wedges because they're so damn forgiving.
Is this mostly on greenside chips or just all around in general? I feel like I've been able to get good spin out of these in pretty much all situations. I've never been able to hit those nippy spinners around the greens so I don't have a comparison to that aspect, but I dont feel like I've had to adjust that much to account for any more significant rollout than before. I'm definitely not the best wedge player so I probably don't extract the most spin that I could with my SM8s to start with, which is why I may not experience a noticeable difference.

Is this mostly on greenside chips or just all around in general? I feel like I've been able to get good spin out of these in pretty much all situations. I've never been able to hit those nippy spinners around the greens so I don't have a comparison to that aspect, but I dont feel like I've had to adjust that much to account for any more significant rollout than before. I'm definitely not the best wedge player so I probably don't extract the most spin that I could with my SM8s to start with, which is why I may not experience a noticeable difference.

More so on full shots like 50-60 yards in I find myself running past a lot more than I used to. Very easily could just be how i'm delivering the club face that I'm not getting the spin I used to see . I've never been a person to stop it and spin it back, but I just don't seem to get any sort of bite on these right now. I haven't had a whole lot of time to sit at the chipping green and try manipulating it, to see if it makes any changes.

More so on full shots like 50-60 yards in I find myself running past a lot more than I used to. Very easily could just be how i'm delivering the club face that I'm not getting the spin I used to see . I've never been a person to stop it and spin it back, but I just don't seem to get any sort of bite on these right now. I haven't had a whole lot of time to sit at the chipping green and try manipulating it, to see if it makes any changes.
That’s interesting, have you put them on a launch monitor or something to compare spin rates?

Ah interesting. The 50-100 yard range is where I feel like I've been seeing some pretty solid stopping power, though I'll say part of it is likely due to ball flight. I feel like these launch a lot higher than I'm used to seeing, so could be a combo of less spin + higher launch for me.

That’s interesting, have you put them on a launch monitor or something to compare spin rates?

Not yet. Hoping to do that soon. The landlord actually put a golf simulator room (that can be reserved like a conference room) in our building at work. Should be open sometime next month so I'm hoping to get in there and compare those numbers.

I feel like I'm still getting flight I like to see, but running a lot past.

Not yet. Hoping to do that soon. The landlord actually put a golf simulator room (that can be reserved like a conference room) in our building at work. Should be open sometime next month so I'm hoping to get in there and compare those numbers.

I feel like I'm still getting flight I like to see, but running a lot past.

That would be great! Looking forward to those numbers, pls share when you get them

For me on the launch monitor the CB is a few hundred rpm less spin than my CBXs. Not enough of a difference to be noticeable. But that's off a perfect lie on a mat. No way for me to measure the difference on the course, but observation would indicate that on 60 yard and longer shots when there is grass and moisture present the spin drops off probably 1000-1500 rpm. The ball will still stop, but it needs more landing room. It has to be the lack of microgrooving. I am already a high spin player so I can live with it, but for the spin challenged it may not be the best option.

I would like to reiterate, the feel and flight control of these CB's fantastic. The sole is easy yeat versatile. If they had microgrooving I'd change my whole wedge lineup to them in a heartbeat.

I would like to reiterate, the feel and flight control of these CB's fantastic. The sole is easy yeat versatile. If they had microgrooving I'd change my whole wedge lineup to them in a heartbeat.
So comparing them to the CBX Zipcores, how is the turf interaction(likelihood of chunking) and forgiveness on mishits?

So comparing them to the CBX Zipcores, how is the turf interaction(likelihood of chunking) and forgiveness on mishits?
They are great through the turf. Better than the Zips for face manipulation and thin lies. Not quite as forgiving, but plenty forgiving. Versatility and feel has a price. Nothing can make an absolute trash strike a great shot.

I like to play the ball back just a bit for some shots. The leading edge design takes away fear of a chunk.

Last edited:
For me it's night and day on the turf interaction, the CBs are just so easy and forgiving, in my previous wedges, or more traditional wedges, fatting and thinning was always a possibility, on these it just doesn't feel while I'm swinging them to be an option.

I think I've used the term before and I'll use it again, idiot proof! Just makes it so easy to make contact and pull a shot off vs worrying about the mis hit

Got out to a grass range this morning and primarily focused on fuller swings with the CBs to hone in on the turf interaction. These really just move through the turf so easily. Even when I've hit it super fat, the CB gets through the turf and I still probably get the ball around 80% of the intended distance. With my bladed wedges, no chance those kind of shots would have gone more than 50% of the distance. I saw this early on when I took these out to the course and was still able to hit the front edge of the green on fat shots, but it was very apparent today my swing was all over the place, yet I was still seeing decent outcomes. There is a lot of forgiveness in these wedges.

Some good feedback so far. I think I'm going to have to try a 54* to compare to my CBX Zipcore.

Took the CB 54 and 58 on the course for 9 holes this evening. First test other than practice/range/backyard due to many days of rain and a bit of bursitis in the elbow. Now with money on the line, sort of speak, these clubs handled real well. I was in fairway and a bit of rough and I have to say these are the easiest wedges I have ever hit. {Remember -high handicapper here). And on at least one shot, where I felt that I hit behind the ball (where normally I would have bladed it), it somehow got under the ball with perfect trajectory for a nice easy 65 yarder that landed on the green.

Also, while I didn't hit any traps today, I had a couple holes gap between us and the folks behind, I dropped a few in various traps, and I was very comfortable hitting them out ( 3 out of 4) (my usual is about 1 out of 5). But I had no pressure on me hitting these, so I need to see me hit bunker shots when they count.

Now a couple negatives. On one of my shots, the way the sun was setting hit directly on the polished chrome causing a glare. Now it was just one shot, but it was annoying. While I love the look of the polished chrome, a little more matted look would solve the glare issue.

Negative 2 - {caveat-I am not a spinner of the ball, nor quite understand how to put back spin on a wedge shot}. While the shots had a nice trajectory and landed on the greens, I noticed that they would release and carry a greater distance than my current MD5 wedge. After the first couple shots, I adjusted by reducing the shot distance and letting them roll out - which did work out well the rest of the round.

Overall, for higher handicaps (like me) these are great clubs in the bag. easy - very easy to hit out of the rough. These may ultimately stay in my bag, the extra rollout notwithstanding. By the end of the round I had a lot of confidence in these clubs.

Yesterday in league play I left myself inches on a long, (31yds on Google Earth) uphill chip from 5 yards off the green. I played the 54 back a bit. Landed 3 yards on and ran it up there just as planned. The predictability of these on short pitches and chips is mind boggling. I had a couple other good up and downs yesterday with the 54 and 58. That's why I am not in the least unhappy to be married to them for a while. You never know, they might just push the CBXs aside, and that would be impressive.

Played a short course called Brookfield Hills this morning. Near Milwaukee. Me and some coworkers decided to play 18 before meeting some other coworkers at the Brewer game. Short Par 62 course only 4,962 yards. Lots of Par 3s and because it was raining and I wasn’t sticking a lot of greens, lots of work for the 54 and 60 CB wedges.

Once again found myself with distance control issues at times but again addicted to the forgiveness. I’m not leaving chips short and that was always a problem with the Jaws wedges. I’m more than confident once I spend more time with them I’m going to figure out ways to knock it close.

This shot just off a Par 3 I nestled sort of close for Par with the 60 degree. It was a light mist/rain all morning and the wedges handled it easily. Typically this is the type of shot I’d blade past the hole but no issue’s getting this one up

IMG_5231.jpeg
IMG_5232.jpeg

Also forced myself to hit a bump and run with the 54 on the shot below and was more than pleased with the outcome. Still struggling on full shots with the 54 but it’s a weapon for getting creative around the greens.

IMG_5237.jpeg
IMG_5240.jpeg

The clubs are holding up pretty well. Still awfully shiny. Some bag chatter has afflicted the 54 but nothing outrageous. Just really enjoying the wedges a lot. I’ve got a round scheduled on Friday and 9 hole’s Saturday evening so looking forward to doing some more work with these. Gonna try to hit the chipping green on Friday to do some comparison with the Jaws Raw some more. Maybe some bump and run comparisons and what not.

IMG_5234.jpeg

Played a short course called Brookfield Hills this morning. Near Milwaukee. Me and some coworkers decided to play 18 before meeting some other coworkers at the Brewer game. Short Par 62 course only 4,962 yards. Lots of Par 3s and because it was raining and I wasn’t sticking a lot of greens, lots of work for the 54 and 60 CB wedges.

Once again found myself with distance control issues at times but again addicted to the forgiveness. I’m not leaving chips short and that was always a problem with the Jaws wedges. I’m more than confident once I spend more time with them I’m going to figure out ways to knock it close.

This shot just off a Par 3 I nestled sort of close for Par with the 60 degree. It was a light mist/rain all morning and the wedges handled it easily. Typically this is the type of shot I’d blade past the hole but no issue’s getting this one up

Also forced myself to hit a bump and run with the 54 on the shot below and was more than pleased with the outcome. Still struggling on full shots with the 54 but it’s a weapon for getting creative around the greens.

The clubs are holding up pretty well. Still awfully shiny. Some bag chatter has afflicted the 54 but nothing outrageous. Just really enjoying the wedges a lot. I’ve got a round scheduled on Friday and 9 hole’s Saturday evening so looking forward to doing some more work with these. Gonna try to hit the chipping green on Friday to do some comparison with the Jaws Raw some more. Maybe some bump and run comparisons and what not.

The forgiveness is very noticeable. I swear one shot today I am almost certain I would have bladed with my Jaws wedge. But the "worn down" front middle edge of the blade on these CB wedges had to soften the blow leading to a solid shot.

I was FINALLY healthy enough to get out the last couple days and work with these again. It’s been a crummy road, but I’m mostly healthy again.

So, my feelings are mixed. I’ve got my reviewer thoughts, and my for my own game thoughts.

The reviewer side immediately sees how much of a jump these are from the previous gen. They’re obviously light years better sounding (feeling), but the sole changes are the real star imo. They’re more versatile while Not sacrificing the bread and butter for most who will use them, the straight forward shot.

They’re easy to hit, and easy to hit high, the 48 boggles my mind there still as I’m hitting some silly peaks for the loft. That’s where the personal fit side comes in, I’m hitting them shorter than my Jaws Raw, but, I know that’s a shaft and design thing so I’m good with it.

The spin is currently through the roof, which makes them even more fun for what they are imo. Not to mention, I can get away with murder.

Heck, I can even knock them down.

These are definitely what the first should have been imo.

The forgiveness is very noticeable. I swear one shot today I am almost certain I would have bladed with my Jaws wedge. But the "worn down" front middle edge of the blade on these CB wedges had to soften the blow leading to a solid shot.

Yeah I've been seeing this a lot too. I've got a friend on my golf league team who needs to try this ASAP. Playing again with him on Saturday and I'm going to have him hit a few shots because I think he blades 85% of his wedge shots so he always used a 5 iron to bump and run on the green. Kinda feel like these might suit him really well.

I was FINALLY healthy enough to get out the last couple days and work with these again. It’s been a crummy road, but I’m mostly healthy again.

So, my feelings are mixed. I’ve got my reviewer thoughts, and my for my own game thoughts.

The reviewer side immediately sees how much of a jump these are from the previous gen. They’re obviously light years better sounding (feeling), but the sole changes are the real star imo. They’re more versatile while Not sacrificing the bread and butter for most who will use them, the straight forward shot.

They’re easy to hit, and easy to hit high, the 48 boggles my mind there still as I’m hitting some silly peaks for the loft. That’s where the personal fit side comes in, I’m hitting them shorter than my Jaws Raw, but, I know that’s a shaft and design thing so I’m good with it.

The spin is currently through the roof, which makes them even more fun for what they are imo. Not to mention, I can get away with murder.

@Jman - what's the secret to spinning these babies?

@Jman - what's the secret to spinning these babies?
My crazy swing apparently hahahaha

I’ve seen some pretty serious action, but, like I said, the shaft isn’t the ideal fit for me obviously coming from PX wedge shafts haha

Sounds like these should be in the hands of a lot of golfers.

I've also been hitting these sky high. Not a ball flight I'm used to seeing with wedges and I'm not great at flighting the ball. I'm sure the added height is helping me stick some greens though.

Had a terrible range session today so ended up moving to the chipping area with the CBs and my SM8s. Starting to notice some more nuances as I go back and forth between the CBs and SM8s on chips.

Spin - I'm starting to notice what others have in that these spin a little less. This is more noticeable around the green. On full shots, any less spin I might be getting is probably offset by the added height. I think the CBs still spin well and I was able to see really great spin on plenty of chips when I was hitting the ball well, but when looking at it overall, the spin is a little less. This is just my eyeball data.

Look - chrome finish is holding up well even after having hit it out of every kind of lie. I'm not sure if its because I noticed it very early on, but I've been having issues with the glare almost every time I've used it. It can shine pretty bright off the face and the chrome finish. Not on every shot, but when its really sunny, its a little challenging.

Forgiveness - this is what stands out every single time I use the CBs and the thing everyone has commented on over and over. The ball can come off a little hot at times, but overall, my bad chips are just nowhere near as bad as they are with a bladed wedge. I think this is really the big selling point and helps me overlook some of the other things like less spin.

Couple pictures of the practice session today that I think best illustrate what I was feeling/experiencing today. I was hitting shots from about 15-20 yards out. First picture is with the CBs and second is with the SM8s. With the CBs, you can see the ball tended to stop past the hole, so a touch more rollout. The short one was a mishit, but I'd still be putting. Overall, a grouping I am very happy with. With the SM8, I seemed to get a little more spin, hence the much tighter grouping closer to the pin on the better shots. However, one mishit ended up way short, where if this was out on the course, I'd be chipping again. Last picture is just to show the current state of the chrome finish. Still looking good, but glare can be tough to deal with at times.

IMG_1127.jpeg
IMG_1128.jpeg
IMG_1129.jpeg

Reading Callaways site, I believe they purposefully moderated the spin to make hitting exact pace and carry less demanding. They think it fits their target audience. I think It certainly seems to help many with shorter chips and pitches, where unpredictable excessive spin often leaves the ball short.

Back