New Callaway CB Wedges

These are high on the ponder list. Which one are you using from 30ish yards out? It’s usually such a trouble spot for me. Ironically from the fairway is worse than short rough…

I've been using the 60 degree with no fear of mishits and I struggled from 30ish yards with the Jaws Raw 60 degree. I feel like the forgiveness and turf interaction really gives me the ability to "take a bit off" of the swing and not have fear it's going to end up short. I leave myself with 30 degree shots all the time and in the past when I'd choose to maybe run it up there with a 54 or 48, I'm now taking the 60 degree.

Haven't been able to get out onto the course the last couple of weeks, but got these back out to the range. When I'm hitting those 20-70 yard shots, these are just so incredibly consistent for me now that I'm able to take the chunked shot mostly out of the picture. The CBs are really becoming kind of like a comfort blanket in that yardage range, that's how much confidence I have with them. I know its like a broken record, but the forgiveness and turf interaction just make this such an easy club to hit.

These are high on the ponder list. Which one are you using from 30ish yards out? It’s usually such a trouble spot for me. Ironically from the fairway is worse than short rough…
I seem to pull my 58* the vast majority of the time in that yardage range. Its just becoming a point and shoot kind of club and I've gotten comfortable with it. I probably actually use the 58* in most situations inside of 50 yards now. As I mentioned above, chunking was my #1 nemesis and none of that with the 58*. I feel like for anyone struggling with the wedge game who just needs a little more consistency and help, these should be high on the ponder list.

For me that would be a 58. 54 if I wanted to bring it in low and running.

I use the 58*. 30 yds used to be a trouble spot for me too. Usually I would overhit it with my old 58* ending up going 40-45. These 58* for me with a easy half swing and choking down middle of grip is about 50-55 yards. For 30 yards, I've been gripping at the bottom of the grip and using a 1/4 to 1/3 swing - less than my half swing.

Getting back out again tomorrow hopefully for a full 18. Then I'll be taking a day off next week to go play somewhere i haven't yet played this year. Location TBD.

Then a week from Friday I have simulator time finally booked so I can get some numbers. Again - love these wedges. I think I may be swapping out the grips on them here soon. Just want something in midsize to match the rest of my clubs. I haven't hated the Golf Pride grips on them, but they just aren't my favorite.

Well........... that worked out well for Callaway. I never had a Callaway in the bag before. After a bit of getting used to, I was impressed enough with the CB's that last weekend I hit the DCBs at Carl's. They haunted me, and today they ended my 3 year foray into the world of cast clubs. I just bought a set of DCB's ( on sale) with the Dart 65 shaft. 5-A. I hope I like them as much as I think I will. I didnt mind the cast clubs too much, but after playing forged irons for 40 years, cast felt odd.......

Well........... that worked out well for Callaway. I never had a Callaway in the bag before. After a bit of getting used to, I was impressed enough with the CB's that last weekend I hit the DCBs at Carl's. They haunted me, and today they ended my 3 year foray into the world of cast clubs. I just bought a set of DCB's ( on sale) with the Dart 65 shaft. 5-A. I hope I like them as much as I think I will. I didnt mind the cast clubs too much, but after playing forged irons for 40 years, cast felt odd.......

We’ve got similar bags then :D

The DCBs are some of the best irons I’ve ever played and I think they blend really well with the CB wedges.

I think I've finally figured out the roll out on these, and how to fully compress and spin the ball on full shots.

I have been so happy in the results with the 56/60 and can't wait to add the 52 to the mix.

I played the last three days this weekend and I would almost say these were point and shoot, I had a couple thin shots that were completely my fault with the swing, but 85%-90% of the time these things flat out perform.

The full face wedges are a huge help on the mis hits, which happen from time to time!

And the forgiveness across the entire face really makes them easy to use on longer shots.

I apologize with the delay in posting these thoughts. Kids going back to school and soccer/dance starting again have made time disappear.

I played at Northern Bay Resort in Arkdale, WI last week (think North of Wisconsin Dells). It's a course I've been dying to play for a few years now, lost of replicas of famous golf holes from around the United States. Because of this some of the greens are pretty crazy with slope. For example #3 at Northern Bay is the 16 Replica of Augusta. I landed my tee shot 4 feet above the back left pin location and because of the slope I still ended up with a Bogey because getting to stop was not happening.

It was a fun test, but some of the CB wedges shined. My playing partner was getting frustrated with his wedges and even grabbed mine a couple of times just to see why I wasn't blading or mis-hitting any wedge shots short. He's played with me a lot in the past and wanted to know why. And that's a big thing with these wedges, the confidence boost I've seen from any lie around the green or even on full shots. "Did you hear me, I'm not scared anymore?". I keep thinking of that stupid Home Alone line.

Anyway...The Par 10 at Northern Bay is the TPC Sawgrass 17th hole replica and while I found water on my tee shot, the drop zone was still intimidating, but a 58 degree CB wedge from 88 yards left me 8 feet from the pin. It's shots like that where I feel like these wedges shine. I've become some comfortable with both them I absolutely will be buying a 48 degree to compliment the bag at some point. I played a tough course for a guy of my skill level, but the game was still fun because I was able to play some wedge shots that were either rolling up to pins or even spinning and stopping a bit off the fringe. Im just overall very pleased with the wedges and how I'm playing with them. There has a been a huge adjustment period and it took me awhile to get dialed in, but absolutely loving them right now.

Also from last week Friday I promised some numbers. This wasn’t what I would call a good test because I had a coworker pushing into my simulator time because he wanted to try it. I intend to go back just hit wedge shots and get better numbers after having time to warm up.

But Jaws Raw 54 degree:
IMG_5732.jpeg

Vs CB 54 Degree

IMG_5733.jpeg

Based off of course numbers I had zero clue I could hit the 54 104 yards. I’ve done it with wind in my back but normally 80ish would be my max.

Jaws Raw 60

IMG_5737.jpeg

Vs CB 60

IMG_5736.jpeg

Again not a fair test. Wasn’t warmed up and was rushing a lot. Also I was offline from rushing a bit but interesting as well.

I’ll definitely be scheduling more time to do this again.

A bit of work on the monitor late last night convinced me that I am too flippy with the CB's, that may be why they dont perform quite the way I am used to with other wedges. I really think it may be that I never changed the grips, I have been playing MCC+4 midsize on all my other wedges, and the smaller OEM standard grip may be encouraging a flip. I am going to throw some midsize MCC's,+4's (which are on all my wedges) and try some Jumbo CP2 wraps ( which I have on everything but the wedges since a month or so ago ago) on them and see what it brings tomorrow at the sim. Its supposed to rain so I am not hitting a course tomorrow, besides the data may be helpful.
I will blow the grips on so I can try them both, then use tape& solvent when the issue is settled. I have a built in compressor with an auxillary air tank in the truck for volume and pressure so I can switch out grips in the parking lot of the Sim for a quick comparison.

I went to the range, after I ended up with Midsize MCC+4 with two extra wraps under the whole grip. No sim numbers, but if I consciously led with the hands I was getting a flight a bit more to my liking. These things sure like to launch HIGH, probably a good thing for the majority of their target audience.
Kid got us a time at a sheep farm I absolutely hate for 1450 today. I'll see what happens. That place is nothing but old seabed baked clay, and the greens are like landing on asphalt.

The grips got me hitting them even better. I tried different balls on different holes to see if I could get one dancing in real life.The wedges definitely stop, they just don't pull the string like I'm used to. A firm 54 Or 58 will usually be even with, if not in front of its pitch mark under these conditions for me.

84 yard 58⁰ , Chromesoft
20230916_171132~2.jpg

103 yard 54⁰ TP5X
20230916_154855.jpg

I had some other examples on other holes with different balls. But essentially the same. Kid suggested taking pics somewhere on the back. Still great wedges I just need to aim shorter.

Last edited:
Been battling some back issues, but did play 18 holes yesterday. The only bright spot was the wedges. Full shots, partial shots, off the fringe, out of the sand - these things just work for me. I don't know how else to put it. Every shot I need to hit, even the "Oh I gotta give this one a little more if I want to get it there" shot - they handle it all with ease.

I've finally got myself ready to get rid of the Jaws Raw wedges completely.

I have a round scheduled for Friday afternoon, given the back is better, but I'll take some more pictures just so people can see how these are holding up.

Spent a few hours at the pitch and putt. I have decided to play the CBs in an important outing this weekend. They are too good around the green to not play.

I cannot describe the level of confidence I feel if I pull one of these out of the bag.
IMG_2611.JPG
I've finally figured out more of my yardages on full shots on all 3 and they're truly point and shoot.

I feel like they're so dummy proof that I have to put a horrible swing on them to really get a bad result. Even on a general mis hit I get a great yardage and trajectory out of them.

I can't keep them down as much as I'd like, say turning the 52* down to hit a punch style shot, but I'm perfectly ok with that and love getting the added loft and launch from all.

I cannot describe the level of confidence I feel if I pull one of these out of the bag.
View attachment 9210204
I've finally figured out more of my yardages on full shots on all 3 and they're truly point and shoot.

I feel like they're so dummy proof that I have to put a horrible swing on them to really get a bad result. Even on a general mis hit I get a great yardage and trajectory out of them.

I can't keep them down as much as I'd like, say turning the 52* down to hit a punch style shot, but I'm perfectly ok with that and love getting the added loft and launch from all.
Timely bump. last week I hit a ton of shots with the 56* comparing it to a more traditional wedge and I was pleasantly surprised to see so much action on the ball. No loss in spin at all and really darn consistent distances.

Timely bump. last week I hit a ton of shots with the 56* comparing it to a more traditional wedge and I was pleasantly surprised to see so much action on the ball. No loss in spin at all and really darn consistent distances.
The consistent distances I'm seeing I'm equating to the more consistent contact, no matter where on the face that I seem to get on them. I assume the club design has to do a lot with that for me, also, seems to really progress nicely from the set GW in to these.

I finally made it through this thread from beginning to end. I wasn’t looking at new wedges until recently, and these are an intriguing option. I have played CBX and CBX2 wedges and often miss their forgiveness. Around the green is why I went away from those, but I think I miss too many greens from 60-100 yards with my current wedges. I am going to give these a long look next week.

I was recently fit for a full bag of clubs. We focused quite a bit on the wedge section. My weird bag setup ended up with FIVE wedges. I have a really steep swing. The fitter put me into the CB 54 and 58 because the bounce would really help.
Ended up in a 80g shaft. My irons are 65g for reference. Just had more control going heavier.
First thoughts:

The shape looks really wide until address, where it looks like the wide sole disappears.
I like the full face grooves. I got a chance to ask about them. The answer was -paraphrasing here- “ having the full face can’t possibly hurt, but it’s not going to make a toe shot stick like a well struck shot. But its goal is to move the ball forward from any hit” Oh and also add confidence.
Onto the shots: There was a real fear that I was going to “skull” every shot off of a tight lie. Not a chance. The low CG on these really helped put the ball upwards right away. I think the real secret positive of these clubs is the fact that it works so well off the really short grass. I play an interlocking grip. As long as I kept the pinkies tight, not a single low screamer.
My height was much much much higher than my standard 54/58 wedges. The distances were a bit shorter (approx 5 yards- but I will be setting up Shotscope tags to give real numbers). I wanted the same lofts because I wanted to stay comfortable with familiar yardages. Was not expecting the height I got. The fitter was concerned about my lack of height with the wedges until he gave me these. It felt good to strut a bit using the divot repair tool.
Big overall thought: I played two rounds and not once, did I chunk one with a full swing.
More thoughts on the shorter swings (SPOILER alert: lots of sand!!!) in a bit.

Last edited:
As someone who struggles with sand, and pitching out of the rough around the greens I couldn’t wait to give these a try.
Trial by fire: two rounds, two courses seemingly filled with more sand traps than fairway these got a workout.
Almost an automatic out each time.

It’s been mentioned in the thread that they don’t stop and “dance” and that is true. There is a bit of roll upon landing, but not more than a few feet. The consistency is shocking. It is designed (literally, the bounce degree is not a choice, it’s the only option) to get the ball up safely. Green side bunkers became easier. The only hiccup again, was any time the right pinky grip got “lazy”
But more common in my game is the rough 15 yards off the green. The 54 got a workout. As a bump and run it was perfect. Not most, not some, but all the shots went forward pretty well.
ready to go GIF by BrownSugarApp

Friday I managed to get only 9 holes in with our FD group. Actually another solid round with the wedges. I've found on my home course I'm very rarely in any situations where I need a full shot out of the 54 degree and that's probably just as well since those full shots with that club aren't always confidence inspiring for some reason. It is very good at bump and runs and I need that a lot around that course with some of the greens that are a bit elevated. I've been putting some bump and runs really close to the hole and It's just been fun to play around with. Knowing the face is very forgiving doesn't give me pause when playing that shot. I've got the feel down and I know what I need to do to get it close most of the time.

The 60 degree has been my full shot club a lot of times and I'm just finding the right spots on the green to land it and have it roll out to the pin. Forgiveness is still in abundance and I have all the confidence in the world that it's going through the turf. Just like last Wednesday I had a couple 45 yard shots that I just hit nice and easy and they rolled out to a few feet.

Sand Shots: Finally had two shots out of the sand and I could not be more pleased with how these handled them. Not gonna lie the sole shape and thickness does not inspire confidence for a player like me out of the sand, but these things got through beautifully and though I didn't have the distance control down I safely got myself on out of the sand and on the green both times. Again, just like the other spots with this club, practice with them is key and once I get the feel down I feel like this will get me out of a lot of bunkers in the future with no issue.

Few More Overall Comments: These things are just fun. I have no intention of going back to the Jaws Raw. Might even sell the ones I have after I get the chance to get some numbers off the work simulator. The finish on them is still holding up and I still have no issues with it. The shafts have sort of grown on me, though I might switch over to a graphite wedge shaft in the future just to have more consistency through the bag. It's weird though, I've oddly preferred steel in wedges and graphite in the rest of the bag for the last few years. These are the first wedges (outside of my approach wedge) where I've felt like maybe graphite shafts might make them the perfect weapon.

League is done now, so really it's going to come down to finding some time to get out when the kids don't have school/soccer/dance or other activities. I'm going to try and get into a few charity scrambles coming up as well.
A little late to the party, but I didn’t want to attempt it on the course until I practiced for a while on the range.

But, did you ever get to open these up for flop shots? If so, what are your thought?

BTW - These are now available on CPO now.

A little late to the party, but I didn’t want to attempt it on the course until I practiced for a while on the range.

But, did you ever get to open these up for flop shots? If so, what are your thought?
I remember taking these out to the chipping green for this situation and being pleasantly surprised with how well it handled it. I still struggle with how much these are going to spin from time to time and with distance control. I mean they're ultra forgiving, so I'm not expecting precision, but I was happy with what I saw from flop shots. The grind is really well done and gets under the ball easily. I think you'll be impressed.

My CB wedges are presently in a buddies bag. They have been for a little while. A slower swinger, 85 mph absolute tops with the driver, he needs as much help with launch as he can get. The CBs. Which didn't fit my game well, fit his perfectly. He is attacking pins with confidence, and Is loving the consistent, high launch.
I miss them for the chipping aspect, but dont miss watching harder struck wedges launch straight up in the air and carry well short of where my CBX of the same loft would be. I don't know if it's shaft or head that doesn't fit me. But it's a misfit, not a bad club.

I hope the next Gen has a better full shot fit for me and retains the excellent around the green usability. They certainly are are already good looking. They looked fantastic next to my Apex DCBs.

Back