New Callaway CB Wedges

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
One of the more enjoyable developments over the past few years has been companies getting behind the concept of having a forgiving wedge that isn’t just a match to whatever iron set someone is using. After all, golfers who play more forgiving irons should have the ability to play a uniquely designed wedge that blends into that profile while still offering a unique playability.

Callaway Golf got in on the party with their Mack Daddy CB wedge, and while it was a great start, they acknowledged there was room for improvement. That brings us to today, and the introduction of the new Callaway CB Wedges.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst best kept secret…it’s cool the graphite isn’t upcharged. As someone that just switched to high bounce wedges I can see how there will really help some golfers.

Nice looking wedges that will fill a need for the growing golfing public.

Bingo, need to replace my gap wedge in the near future and these will definitely be getting a hard look.

Nice looking. They will be on the Radar when My CBXs need replacement.
I do find it odd that Callaways marquis GI iron, the Paradym X has a 41⁰ "PW" while the new CB wedges start at 48. That's more than the Paradym X AW. One would think they would make these new wedges at least align with their premier set wedges, the way my Clevelands CBX wedges fit right into my UHX irons, IE both PW's are 44.....

Oh those look clean and the soles look mean. Looks there is potential for a winner here.

Was very disappointed with the first gen MD. It has very little feel, which the graphite shaft probably made it worse. Still kicking myself for choosing the MD over the CBX2 wedge. Hopefully, they have improved the feel on this one.

So I spent some time with this last night in the Tech Studio.
First impression, massive improvement over the first one. I thought the first one was fine with what it was. It offered good forgiveness, especially around the perimeter for me and the larger sole really helped with the turf.

This one feels much better, and at least on the indoor hitting mat, glides a bit better. The sole should add some versatility and help where needed and it will get tested outside.

Definitely interested to hear people's thoughts on the feel aspect, because I know the UM's are highly regarded. I can't say I'm loving the look, especially the chrome. I get that they'll match with some of Cally's iron sets, but that borders on deal breaker for me. I don't know why or have a really rational explanation for that.

Those look really good. I have some cbx2 wedges I might compare them.

I know where my Callaway rewards will be getting spent this weekend.........LOL

These look good and I feel will hate a love / hate relationship for some. To be they look
Large and as we see above in the article they are an oversized wedge. Outside of that everything about these look fantastic. The sole …ingenious and will help many with delivering the club through turf and providing the right amount of bounce.

Now that the information has been released I am eager to take some swings with the CB Wedges.

Edit: Must not post before coffee. Grouchy.

CB - yes it is needed for many. But not a fan of shiny chrome. Satin anyone? I skimmed the bounce numbers - that's a lot of bounce, then I saw that they cut off the bounce with a trailing edge grind - I assume that is part of the tri-level design to help skidding the sole and not digging. I'm sure it will work for the intended market.

Last edited:
Really enjoy reading @Jman article here. Feel was a huge turn off for me on the 1st ones although they performed well for what they were.

Seeing the article about them having the urethane microspheres and @JB comments with his testing gives me a lot of hope for these in the future!

CB - yes it is needed for many. But not a fan of shiny chrome. Satin anyone? I skimmed the bounce numbers - that's a lot of bounce, then I saw that they cut off the bounce with a trailing edge grind - I assume that is part of the tri-level design to help skidding the sole and not digging. I'm sure it will work for the intended market.
It’s satin at address. Also not a lot of bounce for the type of wedge and who it’s for, they selected the bounces that fit the most people and will blend from an iron set.

Definitely interested to hear people's thoughts on the feel aspect, because I know the UM's are highly regarded. I can't say I'm loving the look, especially the chrome. I get that they'll match with some of Cally's iron sets, but that borders on deal breaker for me. I don't know why or have a really rational explanation for that.
The microspheres are MAGIC!

I do find it odd that Callaways marquis GI iron, the Paradym X has a 41⁰ "PW" while the new CB wedges start at 48. That's more than the Paradym X AW. One would think they would make these new wedges at least align with their premier set wedges, the way my Clevelands CBX wedges fit right into my UHX irons, IE both PW's are 44.....
Loft gaps don’t automatically mean distance gaps. Design matters there.

Some in hand pics

Good information @Jman . I really like the looks of these. They will complement the Big Bertha irons well. A 54-14 or 56-14 would be fun to test from the fairway, fringe, and certainly the bunker.

It’s satin at address. Also not a lot of bounce for the type of wedge and who it’s for, they selected the bounces that fit the most people and will blend from an iron set.

First, Well written presentation.

Second, Yes, I saw the hitting surface is satin, which helps.

As to bounce, the initial hit with large bounce at the leading edge will help prevent digging, then the bounce is cut off to give some versatility. I know, it's all a balance for that market. Attractive looking wedge. Nice work on the groove tech.

Last edited:
I don't hate the look- and from another thread I bet some folks get to test these out soon :).

Look forward to hearing more about these as folks get their hands on them! Nice write up @Jman

These are meant to be more forgiving wedges with versatility of a standard wedge and if you got the set AW then this would likely slot in right after. Not meant to be a set AW/GW replacement

Ok. These look exciting. They look like an all weather wedge with the grind. Our golf season is either really wet and soft or the same soil turned hard pan with no dust. (That they look sexy is a bonus)

Nice looking wedge jammed with Tech.

Back