Today was a good but tough day. Really ramping up the PT.

Tomorrow we take the bandages off..dying to see how bad it looks
Ice, Ice, and Ice... at whatever interval they give you. I've found that ice helps as much as the pain killers, maybe more. We had one of our assistant wrestling coaches get a knee replacement before last season... he was on the mat a few weeks later. Never did go full live with anyone, but on the mat was a win. He said ice was his best friend.

I had both knees replaced 2 years ago. One in late October and the other in early December. I tried to get the doc to do them both at the same time but he talked me out of it.
Yeah, the pain is a real pain. Stay on top of it with the pain killers (whether prescribed or over the counter). If you let the pain get out of control, it can really hinder your recovery.
The real key is the rehab. Don't skimp on it, especially the range of motion exercises. If they tell you to do 3 sets of 10, do an extra set or 2 spaced out. It will really help in the long run. I am not saying over do things to where you hurt what the doc has done, I am just saying to push yourself a little extra.

Did they give you a cold water circulation knee wrap? The one they gave me was a real help in pain management.
View attachment 9143404

I couldn't be happier with how my knees turned out and I hope all goes well with your recovery and rehab !
Sorry i missed your post, that looks like if would have helped a lot. Constantly changing ice is a real pain. Maybe next time 😆.

Ice, Ice, and Ice... at whatever interval they give you. I've found that ice helps as much as the pain killers, maybe more. We had one of our assistant wrestling coaches get a knee replacement before last season... he was on the mat a few weeks later. Never did go full live with anyone, but on the mat was a win. He said ice was his best friend.
Yes, ice has been my savior even more so then the pain meds.

Ice, ice baby….. I agree with both of my replacements ice was huge. As the PT gets rolling make it your mission to work like hell. It pays off.

Sleep right now is my biggest enemy. I started taking Tylenol PM a few nights ago and that has helped a ton with falling asleep but I just can't stay asleep. I wake up every morning around 4 and struggle to get back to sleep.

Sleep right now is my biggest enemy. I started taking Tylenol PM a few nights ago and that has helped a ton with falling asleep but I just can't stay asleep. I wake up every morning around 4 and struggle to get back to sleep.
Because of the turning with the knee pain? Or just pain in general?

I never found a comfortable way to sleep until I was weeks in - I move a lot in my sleep and that is not ideal.

Because of the turning with the knee pain? Or just pain in general?

I never found a comfortable way to sleep until I was weeks in - I move a lot in my sleep and that is not ideal.
I move a lot in my sleep and then boom the pain hits from you moving and it wakes me up. I am a side and belly sleeper, I rarely just sleep on my back, so I am already uncomfortable.

I move a lot in my sleep and then boom the pain hits from you moving and it wakes me up. I am a side and belly sleeper, I rarely just sleep on my back, so I am already uncomfortable.
Same. I ended up being a miserable back sleeper with my leg/knee under pillows. If I recall it was 2 under the knee and 1 under the calf/foot to keep it more level and even.

Whatever it was, it was not ideal. You get through it but it sure is not pleasant at the time.

Ice is definitely your friend, and I, too, am not typically one who sleeps on his back. Add to that, my first replacement was definitely my toughest, for sure. My issue in rehab wasn't so much getting good flexion, it was getting my knee perfectly straight, getting that "0" degrees. That also made sleeping on my back somewhat awkward.

Saw you icing it with your little buddy taking care of you. Just thought I would throw this out as it was fantastic for me. Just an ACL for me but thought maybe would work?

Vive Compression Knee Ice Wrap - Reusable Brace with Air Pump - Hot/Cold Therapy for Men, Women, Pain Relief, Swelling and Recovery Support - Adjustable and Inflatable Pack for Sports Injury Sprains https://a.co/d/0yhgSgp

Gets both the top and back of the knee at the same time and doesnt move. Can add compression and packs stay pliable and form well. Ordered an extra set of gel packs as they last about 15 minutes. If I needed longer periods would change them out and refreeze the others for next session (repeat).

Saw you icing it with your little buddy taking care of you. Just thought I would throw this out as it was fantastic for me.

Vive Compression Knee Ice Wrap - Reusable Brace with Air Pump - Hot/Cold Therapy for Men, Women, Pain Relief, Swelling and Recovery Support - Adjustable and Inflatable Pack for Sports Injury Sprains https://a.co/d/0yhgSgp

Gets both the top and back of the knee at the same time and doesnt move. Can add compression and packs stay pliable and form well. Ordered an extra set of gel packs as they last about 15 minutes. If I needed longer periods would change them out and refreeze the others for next session (repeat).
im going to check that out right now, thanks

When I had my knee surgery and my shoulder surgery, the wife found this unit , saved the day both times.
Ossur Cold Rush Compact Therapy Machine System with Knee Pad- Ergonomic, Adjustable Wrap Pad Included- Quiet, Lightweight and Strong Cryotherapy Freeze Kit Pump

When I had my knee surgery and my shoulder surgery, the wife found this unit , saved the day both times.
Ossur Cold Rush Compact Therapy Machine System with Knee Pad- Ergonomic, Adjustable Wrap Pad Included- Quiet, Lightweight and Strong Cryotherapy Freeze Kit Pump
I really wish I would have gotten something like this. I followed my dr saying just ice is fine but I think this would have helped more.

I had to use pillows to decrease rolling around in my sleep. I'm primarily a left side sleeper but will roll periodically onto my back or right side during the night. My wife would place pillows behind me to encourage me to stay on my left side. I didn't sleep great but I slept without pain waking me up.

Saw you icing it with your little buddy taking care of you. Just thought I would throw this out as it was fantastic for me. Just an ACL for me but thought maybe would work?

@AndyL0711, this wrap is a must.
Should I still order it now?

I really wish I would have gotten something like this. I followed my dr saying just ice is fine but I think this would have helped more.

My surgeon sent me home with the unit, I guess it was somehow added to the overall bill, but it worked wonders. We bought the shoulder pack and they have these things on Amazon. Its come in so handy in so many ways.

Last edited:
Here's a good comparison between my legs right now

View attachment 9144101
It takes a while for the fluid that's built up to subside.

Yes, order the ice wrap. And get a couple of extra gel packs so you always have as cold as possible to rotate in.

This is close to the one I had.

Years ago I had surgery for a Tibial Plateau Fracture ( basically I fractured the top of my tibia). My PT introduced me to a breathing technique to help me get back to sleep when I would accidently roll over in my sleep. It's not a cure all but it did help me.

Years ago I had surgery for a Tibial Plateau Fracture ( basically I fractured the top of my tibia). My PT introduced me to a breathing technique to help me get back to sleep when I would accidently roll over in my sleep. It's not a cure all but it did help me.
Just read the article and I'm definitely trying this tonight 👊

Back