Glad to hear your out of surgery. Hope the recovery goes well. I have a few guys I golf with who have had knee replacements and they were all happy they did it. Most were back to golfing within a few months.

I'm out and up in my room. Tons of pain but no biggie. Now comes therapy.

Goals:
- being able to walk downstairs without fearing of falling
- able to run around and play with my daughter
- not being in pain all the time, will make me less crabby = better husband, father and business owner
- GOLF!!!!! it will be nearly 1.5 years, since I picked up a club

Now back to work. I will post updates....thanks guys.
Glad to hear, Andy. Holler if you need to.

I had a tough night, couldn't get comfortable and was in a lot of pain. The foot pumps are a pain ass and kept me up.

Looking forward to going home today.
God bless for a successful recovery. i remember when I had mine they had me on the machine that moves my legs while I was still under anesthesia. Do the rehab!!!

PT coupled with pain killers is king...

A

Hey guys, any help on staying asleep at night? I can fall asleep but I keep waking up around 2am and can't fall back to sleep. Pain is tough.

Hey guys, any help on staying asleep at night? I can fall asleep but I keep waking up around 2am and can't fall back to sleep. Pain is tough.
I elevated my leg and used the ice almost to the point of frostbite. The first 4 to 5 days were the toughest for me. It got much better after that.

Hang in there! You will soon be so thankful that you had this done. I was forced to use a walker prior to my surgery just to get around the house.
Now I can walk 18 holes and carry my bag with no pain. You got this!

My mom went through the same thing when she had her knee done. They had her elevate her leg and it helped but it took her about 10 days to even get comfortable, she is older so that may have had something to do with it.

Sorry for the delayed response. I remember this well. We all go through this. It take patience and the understanding that you get this for the good outcome which you won’t begin to see and feel for awhile. Don’t overdo the drugs. This is the hardest part but it will get way better

Drugs are a bummer, but ! stay ahead of the pain until it subsides. But Advil PM works for a a lot of people , 2 worked for me after my head and neck surgery and of course your pain meds the doc gave you should put you to sleep if there is a drowsy additive to them. ( maybe). We are pulling for ya 👍

Last edited:
i am going to push to try and go home the same day. right now they want to keep me overnight. i HATE staying in the hospital. i know a few people who went in for common'ish things and never left. 2 got viruses in the hospital and never left
You either have good insurance or extensive health issues ;)…staying over night after a TKR is unheard of these days!
request a nerve block (femoral would be my choice but they may do adductor canal block . Lumbar plexus for posterior knee) if they aren’t offering it for post op pain.
id also request spinal anesthesia with sedation as opposed to general anesthesia…

best of luck to you!

Elevate the leg, and ask about using a sleep aid that won't get you hooked... the pain meds are enough for me when I need them (they knock me out), but not for everyone.

After my 1st TKR, I was in the hospital and rehab for about 10 days before being cleared to go home. Once home, I probably spent all my time, including sleeping at night, in a recliner with my leg elevated. That lasted probably another 10 days or so before I attempted to sleep in my own bed. With my 2nd replacement, it was a totally different story, as I was sent home on the 2nd day and the pain I had to deal with was much less. I don't know if the difference was only receiving a femoral block for the first one and an epidural for the 2nd, but two totally different recoveries.

Very bad night last night. Almost went back to hospital, the pain was too mich and then of course I took the oxy too early and that made me dizzy and nauseous. Wife got me through it...but not easy. I am nervous about tonight.

Very bad night last night. Almost went back to hospital, the pain was too mich and then of course I took the oxy too early and that made me dizzy and nauseous. Wife got me through it...but not easy. I am nervous about tonight.
Hope tonight is a better one for you.

Thank goodness for a loving wife!!!! I know at night you feel almost afraid because you’re in some pain and you’re alone in a sense. Sleeps hard to come by. Try to relax it will get better.

Good luck with the recovery, everyone has said the right stuff. My dad had knee replacement many years ago and the first week was tough but get off the strong meds as soon as you can. If not, I have heard too many horror stories of what can result.

As far as waking up in middle of night, keep leg elevated and watch TV or read a book to distract yourself otherwise you’ll just ferment the pain. The good news is it gets better every day so just do your exercises and things will get better. Best of luck.

I had both knees replaced 2 years ago. One in late October and the other in early December. I tried to get the doc to do them both at the same time but he talked me out of it.
Yeah, the pain is a real pain. Stay on top of it with the pain killers (whether prescribed or over the counter). If you let the pain get out of control, it can really hinder your recovery.
The real key is the rehab. Don't skimp on it, especially the range of motion exercises. If they tell you to do 3 sets of 10, do an extra set or 2 spaced out. It will really help in the long run. I am not saying over do things to where you hurt what the doc has done, I am just saying to push yourself a little extra.

Did they give you a cold water circulation knee wrap? The one they gave me was a real help in pain management.
Knee.jpg

I couldn't be happier with how my knees turned out and I hope all goes well with your recovery and rehab !

Back