Is Golf A Sport?

• YES!

Votes: 157 94.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
Thanks. I didnt think there was right or wrong here, people were suppose to be able to give their opinions, openly and freely, but here once you contradict the majority, your "trolling" or "stirring things up" or "trying to start an argument". Opinions are not respected and debated, opinions are commented on by you or other forum leaders then everyone else piles on.

Wow. Differing opinions are respected here. Bad support for those opinions is not respected.

Thanks. I didnt think there was right or wrong here, people were suppose to be able to give their opinions, openly and freely, but here once you contradict the majority, your "trolling" or "stirring things up" or "trying to start an argument". Opinions are not respected and debated, opinions are commented on by you or other forum leaders then everyone else piles on. And again, I dont really care this is a great source of golf news and interesting discussions about equipment which is what I love, the radio shows, the pre-releases, the 40 page threads about equipment that wont come out for months, reading guys stories about how they played golf, reading someones frustration about how they had a bad day on the course after having a great day the day before, knowing we all have been there. Following the merchandise shows, especially on twitter, i was re-tweeting alot of things. Thats what I like, I think a lot of people here take them selves wayyy too seriously, no one here is a professional besides Jeff, all the rest of us are hacks. People are here cuz they love golf, regardless of their opinion on if golf is a sport or not, any member here loves golf.

When someone gives incorrect facts, it is wrong. In that case there is a right or wrong which happened in this thread. I have NEVER taken a side on this debate and wont because frankly I dont care enough to do so.

As for who is a professional? I think you are incorrect in that statement as well, we have quite a few professionals here including our own THP Teaching Professional.

The idea that everybody gets an opinion is absolutely correct. The idea that opinions have to be correct or even respected in many cases is 100% false. What we saw in this thread seems to be the norm for quite a few posters here and when you get over 120 (recent count as of 25 minutes ago) complaints about the same 5-6 posts in one thread, you know as a mod exactly what is going on.

Obviously that was a poor attempt at a joke on my part. At least Gus got it.

No problem no one usually gets my jokes either...

huh? I openly admitted in this thread that I was wrong. I'm sure Mstng would agree.

TC offered to tee it up with me and said he should not get so bothered by opinions as we each have the right to our own.

When someone gives incorrect facts, it is wrong. In that case there is a right or wrong which happened in this thread. I have NEVER taken a side on this debate and wont because frankly I dont care enough to do so.

As for who is a professional? I think you are incorrect in that statement as well, we have quite a few professionals here including our own THP Teaching Professional.

The idea that everybody gets an opinion is absolutely correct. The idea that opinions have to be correct or even respected in many cases is 100% false. What we saw in this thread seems to be the norm for quite a few posters here and when you get over 120 (recent count as of 25 minutes ago) complaints about the same 5-6 posts in one thread, you know as a mod exactly what is going on.

Touring pros, PGA like Jeff, yea 120+ people are taking themselves too seriously

TC offered to tee it up with me and said he should not get so bothered by opinions as we each have the right to our own.

I'll also add that I tend to take things on a very logical/analytical/grounded view point. It comes with the territory for me.

As I stated, though rather offhandedly, people are welcome to challenge the definitions but I would hope it would be backed up with solid reasoning and consistent/appropriate logic.

Touring pros, PGA like Jeff, yea 120+ people are taking themselves too seriously

I was under the impression that a professional is one that played as a profession. Whether that be on the PGA Tour or a smaller tour. Its professional golf and it is a tour.

I'll also add that I tend to take things on a very logical/analytical/grounded view point. It comes with the territory for me.

As I stated, though rather offhandedly, people are welcome to challenge the definitions but I would hope it would be back up with solid reasoning and consistent/appropriate logic.

That is preposterous. Reasoning and logic on a forum?

You actually think that forum member One-T is Jeff Overton don't you?

Yea, Jeff O is a pretty awesome guy to have here at THP. I'm always glad to see him throw his hat in the ring for intelligent debates like this.

As I stated, though rather offhandedly, people are welcome to challenge the definitions but I would hope it would be backed up with solid reasoning and consistent/appropriate logic.

As I stated I will go with your defintion of sport.

RxGus: Did you do any epistimology/linguistics in your schooling? I think that post before is both:

A: Wonderfully worded

B: A great start if you want to dig into the wording of sport. However given this thread has run it's course and I don't want to bore anyone I won't put anything like that up. Mostly just curious if there was someone else out there as insane as I was in linguistical philosophy.

TC im not that gullible, just going along with it....

I'm pretty sure he didn't but he already had his back to the wall with the thread and didn't want to take a chance of calling B.S. and getting piled on even more on the minuscule chance he actually was Jeff O...

TC im not that gullible, just going along with it....

ah, just making sure everyone has all the right facts. I didn't think you were. One-T is my little brother.

ah, just making sure everyone has all the right facts. I didn't think you were. One-T is my little brother.

You're Jeff Overton's big brother!?

RxGus: Did you do any epistimology/linguistics in your schooling? I think that post before is both:

A: Wonderfully worded

B: A great start if you want to dig into the wording of sport. However given this thread has run it's course and I don't want to bore anyone I won't put anything like that up. Mostly just curious if there was someone else out there as insane as I was in linguistical philosophy.

I had a double major in undergrad, and one of my degrees was in philosophy. I "specialized" in philosophy of religion, but had a lot of basic logic and epistemology courses before I went off on the theology/religion side of things.

Thank you for your kind words. I am REALLY rusty.

Jeff Overton is on THP? Did he put an end to this finally?

So what was the final verdict is it a sport or no?

Punching out...goodnight

WOW! It just took me like 20 minutes to read over this thread. I had no idea of the beast I was creating in this one guys. BTW Thanks BogeyRuss for the nomination for poster of the year! LOL. Feel free to lock this one down if you want guys. I had my share of enjoyment from it! LOL

I'm sorry about this one getting out of hand TC/JB. I really had no idea people would get so passionate one way of the other. I thought It was an interesting topic.

if only i had more rep to give out young clay you'd be getting +1s right now

Back