Is Golf A Sport?

• YES!

Votes: 157 94.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
I'm certainly not calling luge a wussie way to get down the track but Skeleton is certainly more invigorating. Honestly, it was waaaay more fun then sky diving and having the Olyimpc track not super far away is pretty rad.

So here is the deal... I have a bazillion posts that I want to quote and I simply can't find them all. Forgive me.

1. To the person who said that the dictionaries were wrong and that we should listen to Sir Charles...
Spoiler
"Is golf a sport" is a purely linguistic question. It deals with the derivative of languages and the meaning attached to words and ideas by those who speak those languages. You can not discount the opinion of those who wrote the dictionaries because they aren't engaged in "sport". They are scholars who study and trace the origin of words (etymology) and how they are used historically and currently within the english language. Sir Charles knows nothing about this and is in no way someone who's opinion matters on this subject.

You are welcome to disagree with the definition of sport and you can come up with whatever definition you want, but you are applying a personal bias and are not being true to the origin and "common" use to the english language.

As several people have posted the definitions of "sport" I don't feel the need to elaborate. Golf IS a sport. If you disagree you are welcome to disagree with the definition (you should write a dissertation and send it to Oxford, I am sure they like that a lot) but you can not argue that golf is NOT a sport based on the common english definition.

Also
Spoiler
"Sport is short for disport (14th c.). This came from Anglo-Norman desporter ‘carry away’, hence ‘divert’, a compound verb formed from the prefix des- ‘apart’ and porter ‘carry’. The noun originally meant ‘amusement, recreation’, and it was not used in its main modern sense ‘athletic contests’ until the mid 19th century."

2. About hunting and fishing not being a sport
Spoiler
If you look at this in a historical perspective- these are the ORIGINAL sports. In the original adaptation of the word to english "sport" referred to those who hunted. We have morphed it into other things, but those are the beginnings of the English understanding of the word.

3. Double standards on the long list of "qualities" that must be had for sports
Spoiler
Here you set a HUGE double standard. You claim that Ortiz and Haynesworth both contain the speed/endurance/etc/etc that is required for their sport. The problem is that I can argue that John Daly has all the power, speed, coordination, endurance necessary for his sport. You can not use subjective assessments of skill (what is "necessary") to define a sport.

The other major issue is that you are presupposing the sport. Put into logical terms your argument looks like this.

Givens:
1. It requires x,y,z skills in order for something to be a sport
2. Player A has skills x,y,z necessary to play his position in his SPORT

3. Therefore his SPORT is a sport
This is the very definition of a circular argument. You can not assume what you are trying to prove. Logic does not work that way.

I have more but I am done for now.
In conclusion: Golf IS a sport because the english language defines it as so. If you disagree with the definition of sport, feel free to take it up with Oxford or Merriam. I am sure they would be very interested in seeing your research in the area of linguistics.

So here is the deal... I have a bazillion posts that I want to quote and I simply can't find them all. Forgive me.

1. To the person who said that the dictionaries were wrong and that we should listen to Sir Charles...
Spoiler
"Is golf a sport" is a purely linguistic question. It deals with the derivative of languages and the meaning attached to words and ideas by those who speak those languages. You can not discount the opinion of those who wrote the dictionaries because they aren't engaged in "sport". They are scholars who study and trace the origin of words (etymology) and how they are used historically and currently within the english language. Sir Charles knows nothing about this and is in no way someone who's opinion matters on this subject.

You are welcome to disagree with the definition of sport and you can come up with whatever definition you want, but you are applying a personal bias and are not being true to the origin and "common" use to the english language.

As several people have posted the definitions of "sport" I don't feel the need to elaborate. Golf IS a sport. If you disagree you are welcome to disagree with the definition (you should write a dissertation and send it to Oxford, I am sure they like that a lot) but you can not argue that golf is NOT a sport based on the common english definition.

Also
Spoiler
"Sport is short for disport (14th c.). This came from Anglo-Norman desporter ‘carry away’, hence ‘divert’, a compound verb formed from the prefix des- ‘apart’ and porter ‘carry’. The noun originally meant ‘amusement, recreation’, and it was not used in its main modern sense ‘athletic contests’ until the mid 19th century."

Spoiler
If you look at this in a historical perspective- these are the ORIGINAL sports. In the original adaptation of the word to english "sport" referred to those who hunted. We have morphed it into other things, but those are the beginnings of the English understanding of the word.

Spoiler
Here you set a HUGE double standard. You claim that Ortiz and Haynesworth both contain the speed/endurance/etc/etc that is required for their sport. The problem is that I can argue that John Daly has all the power, speed, coordination, endurance necessary for his sport. You can not use subjective assessments of skill (what is "necessary") to define a sport.

The other major issue is that you are presupposing the sport. Put into logical terms your argument looks like this.

Givens:

This is the very definition of a circular argument. You can not assume what you are trying to prove. Logic does not work that way.

In conclusion: Golf IS a sport because the english language defines it as so. If you disagree with the definition of sport, feel free to take it up with Oxford or Merriam. I am sure they would be very interested in seeing your research in the area of linguistics.

umm, rep given. That should pretty much lock this one down. And yeah, there's a Doctor in the house folks.......BOOM!

Spoiler

Also
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Givens:

Come on Gus, lets not have this thread spiral down into a pit of logic and research.

umm, rep given. That should pretty much lock this one down. And yeah, there's a Doctor in the house folks.......BOOM!

+1 that cracked me up. I even said Boom outloud after reading it. Nicely done Gus.

What about languages other than English?

gus that was hands down the thp epic post of the century if only we had awards for posts of greatness

Come on Gus, lets not have this thread spiral down into a pit of logic and research.

lmao mr spocks mind is bottling right now

What about languages other than English?

Each language has it own unique applications and derivatives. The etymology changes.

An easy example is "Love". One word in english. Four separate words (and four separate meanings) in greek.
You are limited in your definitions based on the language you select. Words only have the meaning we apply to them, nothing more and nothing less (this is a cultural "we" and not an individual "we"- though you can make a strong case for individual expression of words and personalized languages).

Each language has it own unique applications and derivatives. The etymology changes.

An easy example is "Love". One word in english. Four separate words (and four separate meanings) in greek.
You are limited in your definitions based on the language you select. Words only have the meaning we apply to them, nothing more and nothing less (this is a cultural "we" and not an individual "we"- though you can make a strong case for individual expression of words and personalized languages).

What he said!

Spoiler

Also
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Givens:

Well doggy, I don't think any of what you just said could be said any better. Super explanation of what a sport is there good buddy . I suppose that pertains to mud wrestling to. lol

it's still not a sport, its a skill

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

You are welcome to disagree with the definition of "sport" but based on the common use and understanding of the word "sport" through out the english language you CAN NOT say that golf is not a sport. It is logically impossible to conclude anything other than golf is a sport.

1. A sport is defined as "physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in"
2. Golf is a physical activity engaged in for pleasure
Therefore
3. Golf is (by definition) a sport

you must have golf confused with bowling....

I am not confused about anything. For me golf is a recreational activity and a life style. For serious golfers it is a sport. I ain't a serious golfer by any means.

Look up there ^ I just did say it... and I used all words that appear in the dictionary

You are welcome to disagree with the definition of "sport" but based on the common use and understanding of the word "sport" through out the english language you CAN NOT say that golf is not a sport. It is logically impossible to conclude anything other than golf is a sport.

There is no comparison between the mental and physical of football and golf people.

I just read that post. Boggles my mind on how shortsided it is.

I am not confused about anything. For me golf is a recreational activity and a life style. For serious golfers it is a sport. I ain't a serious golfer by any means.

you must ride in a cart... make sure theres enough room for my bag :good:

This thread contains some ridiculous logic combined with a touch of straight trolling that doesn't belong here. Pure garbage and I like to think that THP is better than this crap.

1. A sport is defined as "physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in"
2. Golf is a physical activity engaged in for pleasure
Therefore
3. Golf is (by definition) a sport

OK, I will listen to the doctor, so sex, walking, eating, playing cards, exercise, hacky sack, drinking are a few physical activities engaged in for pleasure off of that, i will say that golf is a sport and so is everything else i listed. kool, i will accept that definition.

OK, I will listen to the doctor, so sex, walking, eating, playing cards, exercise, hacky sack, drinking are a few physical activities engaged in for pleasure off of that, i will say that golf is a sport and so is everything else i listed. kool, i will accept that definition.

To paraphrase Lewis Black:

Sex should be a sport, because if you're any good at it you deserve a medal.

Spoiler
also, most of those activities you listed are in the Olympics. Power lifting and speed walking are medal sports at the summer games. Poker is more mentally challenging than basketball or baseball.

Last edited:
Its not worth it Gus, some folks are here for, well you know the rest.

I came here to chat about the sport of golf.

Back