Is Golf A Sport?

• YES!

Votes: 157 94.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
Checkers is a game! Golf is a sport!!!

You can get injured playing golf. You can't get injured playing Chess or Checkers unless your opponent backhands you. Sport.

You can get injured playing golf. You can't get injured playing Chess or Checkers unless your opponent backhands you. Sport.

I know this guy who got injured playing chess. Glass shard got him in the eye... set was glass and the cross on the king caught him flush.

Alex

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night btw :D

Last time I played chess it ended in a stalemate after almost three hours.

I know this guy who got injured playing chess. Glass shard got him in the eye... set was glass and the cross on the king caught him flush.

Alex

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night btw :D

LOL Are you serious? Did the piece fall down and just freak accident? Or did someone actually smack the king with their piece as they put him in checkmate?

Golf is a sport. Darts, billiards, corn hole....those are games. Ask a DH in baseball if he is playing a sport. Golfers do more than a DH in 4 holes than he does an entire game. Sometimes they even get people to run the bases for them.

Can golf be both? Can sports be considered games too? How does a game enter the echelon of sport?

Theres no question that most sports are games. But not all games are sports?

Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Have you ever walked a round? Is Checkers or Chess in the in the Olympics? Golf is a sport!

Can golf be both? Can sports be considered games too? How does a game enter the echelon of sport?

Theres no question that most sports are games. But not all games are sports?

Interesting stuff.
Most definitely. People go to the football game, the baseball game . . .

A game and a sport. Best of both world's

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I didn't used to think of it as a sport, but now I KNOW IT IS !!

Anyone that has experienced what walking, or even riding, 18 holes, or more in one day, + the range, + the practice swings (I don't do full power practice swings) knows full well the physical, mental and emotional toll the game will have on you.

How EASY is it when you are on #12 and you've been have a REALLY BAD DAY, and you are tired, and the game is sucking all the energy out of your mind and body, to just say f888it, I quit ! We've all had those thoughts, but yet we fight through and .... then, on 14 you get that surprise birdie, HOW FAST do you rebound, how light are you on your feet now, you head high, your chest pumping WAHOOOOOOOO

Oh it's a sport alright !!

LOL Are you serious? Did the piece fall down and just freak accident? Or did someone actually smack the king with their piece as they put him in checkmate?

Dead serious. It was the oddest thing. Two of my buddies were playing chess. Nothing crazy...then again it's chess. The king in question must have had a flaw in it. It was me who actually stubbed my toe on the table jarring the game board. The king does fall down of course due to outside interference and all of the sudden my buddy belts out.. "wtf? I have something in my eye." I asked "is it an eyelash?" so we get under light. I looked for the lash (must be my maternal instincts) and there was a shine. Piece of glass from the piece right there in the corner of the eye. He was lucky.. that could've been a scratched retina or something.

Alex

Tomato fruit or vegi?????

Track is not a game, but I think it is a sport.

Kevin

of course it's a sport,problem is people who don't and have never ever played the game.they are the ones that usually tend to say that golf is nopt a sport.there was a readers letter in a newspaper over here after rory won the us open going on about how pathetic it was the praise that rory was getting after winning etc and that he is not an athlete and stuff like that,i was a bit peeved off to say the least.

How can it not be? Its harder than football, baseball, basketball and any other sport. He!! ya its a sport!

How can it not be? Its harder than football, baseball, basketball and any other sport. He!! ya its a sport!

Methinks this isn't necessarily true. If you put time into any sport you can be competant. Those other sports take more physical talents while golf takes more mental strength. Anything can be a sport. A sport is competitive. My game of pickup football today was just that, a game, while my skins match the other day was a sport.

Ok so people seem to be a little sensitive to the fact that some people call it a game, not a sport.

Why? Why is it any lesser of an activity if it's not considered a sport? Why does the degree of difficulty make it a sport, not a game? Why does the physical factor make it a sport?

Ok so people seem to be a little sensitive to the fact that some people call it a game, not a sport.

Why? Why is it any lesser of an activity if it's not considered a sport? Why does the degree of difficulty make it a sport, not a game? Why does the physical factor make it a sport?

I think sports imply competition. Golf can be a sport as can anything. But it can also be a game, like anything else.

Chess involves competition? As does POGs.

When competitive I believe they're sports. Where else would you put the cut-off?

The question was answered definitively on page 1 of this thread.

Oxford: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
Merriam: a source of diversion : recreation
Free Online: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively

The answer in all three circumstances is yes.

It's a sport. Gus did the same thing I did. Definition of sport = golf. May not be the most physically strenuous sport, but it is one.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Question answered, case closed!

But there are 31 more pages, so why did I read the remaining 31 pages? Because there are 32 pages which made me think there must be some substance here, I was looking for the substance. (also looking for details of OG wrestling alligators since that brought to mind my first...uh, never mind) What did I find? Nothing that contradicts, overturns, nullifies or in anyway negates the above definitions.

So golf is a sport by definition, whatever else it is, golf is a sport.

Golf is definitely a sport. I've had many people bash my pursuit of perfection and laugh at cars going in circles or left turns. Those folks never competed or had to use their hand eye cordinates for anything other than turningn a page in a book! So to the nay sayers and non golf/non nascar folks I say "fooyee"

golf is a philosophy
a way of life
"its like a finger pointing away to the moon
dont concentrate on the finger
or you will miss all that heavenly glory" - bruce lee
lol

Back