Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

That post

aka GolfOrElse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boycotting
Curious if anyone does this? Because of the way my day was scheduled I ended up at the gym for my workout prior to playing golf today. Usually I go after golf.

It wasn't a heavy workout day just cardio and core but getting that work in before golf got me loose and my muscles warmed up and ready to fire out on the golf course. Especially helpful in this colder weather we are dealing with here. I was swinging it well all afternoon and I'm wondering how much of that is a result of doing my workout beforehand.

It probably wouldn't have gone as well had it been a heavy push or pull day. But the light cardio and kettle bell core work seems like it hit the spot.

Anyone else?

After. I don't do cardio at the gym. I lift. And doing load and twisting movements at velocity after taxing and stretching muscles and ligaments like that is responsible for a large percentage of my golf related injuries. So I don't do that.

I used to do 20 minutes on an elliptical at low resistance when I was in a hotel before a round. Real nice way to shake off the rust of a long night and get your core activated.

After. I don't do cardio at the gym. I lift. And doing load and twisting movements at velocity after taxing and stretching muscles and ligaments like that is responsible for a large percentage of my golf related injuries. So I don't do that.
Yeah I get that. It would have likely gone terribly if it was a heavy lift day for me.

I used to do 20 minutes on an elliptical at low resistance when I was in a hotel before a round. Real nice way to shake off the rust of a long night and get your core activated.
Yep, this is what I did 25 minutes on the elliptical and 4 different kettlebell exercises focusing on the core.

Dojo 5 to 6 days per week. Usually before dawn, so obviously before golf. Sometimes evenings.

I have. I have golfed during the day and then trained in the evening.

It's possible. It's fine.

I have. I have golfed during the day and then trained in the evening.

It's possible. It's fine.
Yes its definitely possible and I do it just about every time I golf but mostly after. Except today.

All the time

Yes its definitely possible and I do it just about every time I golf but mostly after. Except today.
Yeah, I don't like working out early. I train differently than a lot of people here. The correct answer is actually just be consistent. If you golf first and then train, stick with that the best you can. And vice versa. You'll adapt and be fine.

Unless I have a really early tee time I work out before, sometimes hard, sometimes not so hard. Doesn't seem to affect my game one way or the other.

i have worked out before. it’s pretty terrible. working out after is much better, but i cramped up so i have to drink tons of water and some pedialyte.

After - prefer morning rounds , but really would rather not do both in a day

I did this quite a bit during the summer and it seemed to help as well. I was already "loose" and I seem to play better when I'm a little fatigued. Slow things down and don't get so antsy.

I prefer an evening workout and morning cardio, I dont typically lift before a round of golf. Cardio prior, no issue.

I don’t workout before. I especially wouldn’t lift any weights. I feel like that would be a recipe for a bad finish as the muscle fatigue set in

I don’t workout before. I especially wouldn’t lift any weights. I feel like that would be a recipe for a bad finish as the muscle fatigue set in
Chest or back sounds like it would be a terrible thing to do before golf. Everything would just be all tight and blah. I suppose if you got used to it, it wouldn't be a big deal though, but I can't see it being a good idea to be a heavy burnout kinda workout. That seems terrible.

I go to the gym on my off days from golf.

This would have been a pertinent question 20 years ago.

Chest or back sounds like it would be a terrible thing to do before golf. Everything would just be all tight and blah. I suppose if you got used to it, it wouldn't be a big deal though, but I can't see it being a good idea to be a heavy burnout kinda workout. That seems terrible.
I couldnt imagine an arm day or leg day pregolf. That would just be misery.

Wrestling practice after a round sometimes… that’s a butt kicker.

Back