Do you work out before or after golf?

• Before

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • After

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Walking to and from the cart is the workout. :p

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
I couldnt imagine an arm day or leg day pregolf. That would just be misery.
Yeah there is no way I would have gone before if it was a heavy lift day. The stars aligned with today being one of my lighter days at the gym.

Leg day would especially suck considering that I walk my rounds. Ugh.

Yeah there is no way I would have gone before if it was a heavy lift day. The stars aligned with today being one of my lighter days at the gym.
Yeah, I could see doing light weight and still being able to swing decent. I did chest tonight, and went heavy, there is no way I am swinging a club at the moment!

Leg day would especially suck considering that I walk my rounds. Ugh.
Yeah, even in a cart I wouldn’t be able to do it!

Leg day.. If I ever did a leg day, hypothetically.. your legs are incredibly weak and shaky. Quads felt like just pure trash city and it was a terrible idea.

Arms were honestly fine, that’s probably the one you can get away with.

I do much prefer to workout after a round as opposed to prior. I’m not going to go heavy if I do workout before. A little cardio, some lighter weight, some core. I have zero issue getting a full workout in after a round.

But I’ve definitely done both. Plenty.

I have similar experiences. I’ve actually lifted heavy before and saw some pretty good distance gains. The caveat is that I can’t be sore or have muscle fatigue. If I’m feeling the gym the day before it’s not going to be a good round.

I do weight training or a golf workout each morning. On days I will play or practice extensively, I do the golf workout which warms my body up to rotate. I find this is a massive boost to my readiness to swing a club. My friends show up cold and hit a small bucket before a round and frequently never get to turning. I think this is a major mistake for older golfers.

Where's the neither option? I'm a gym goer and I don't do either. I'd be too knackered from one or the other.

I’ll hit the range on days I workout but I won’t play on the days I workout.

I’ve workout before rounds and after. Usually I temper it a bit. More stretching and less lifts. I always do a Peloton ride. Usually early in the morning . It has more to do with my health than my golf

If I am working out it’s going to happen before golfing.

I've done both. I plan to work out and do a speed session this Friday morning and then play that afternoon. I also plan to work out each morning at the Bag Boy Championship (even if it's a mobility, band and ab workout). Gotta get it in!

and do a speed session this Friday morning and then play that afternoon
Be careful with that. It’s how I injured myself mid summer and it completely threw off my golf game for months.

Be careful with that. It’s how I injured myself mid summer and it completely threw off my golf game for months.
I will. I've been training for just over a year now and it's why I play to take a 3-4 hour break between the speed sesh/workout and when I actually play. Wont be the first time I will have done this this year.

Leg day.. If I ever did a leg day, hypothetically.. your legs are incredibly weak and shaky. Quads felt like just pure trash city and it was a terrible idea.

Arms were honestly fine, that’s probably the one you can get away with.
This is my thought. Legs would be the first absolute avoid pre round. Core would be second. Chest & Back third. Arms might be doable. It would at least make you not get too armsy in the swing…I think

This is my thought. Legs would be the first absolute avoid pre round. Core would be second. Chest & Back third. Arms might be doable. It would at least make you not get too armsy in the swing…I think
I usually don’t get armsy outside of run on, so thankfully that’s not my issue. Chest and back though, oof. That’ll absolutely have an effect.

I hate, hate, hate afternoon/evening workouts, and I’m not a fan of early morning golf. So it’s morning at the gym, lunch, then whatever I do at the course that day. Often in the summer, a brief range and/or short game session will precede the gym, but the formula still remains. Best way to balance things for me.

take a 3-4 hour break between the speed sesh/workout and when I actually play
This is exactly what I’m doing today. I’m in route to the gym currently but it won’t be warm enough to play here until around 1 PM. It’s a heavy lift day but I think I’ll be OK with that rest in between.

This is exactly what I’m doing today. I’m in route to the gym currently but it won’t be warm enough to play here until around 1 PM. It’s a heavy lift day but I think I’ll be OK with that rest in between.
You should be as long as you don't go overboard. You can still lift heavy and still be ok. I saw a thing on IG where DJ did pretty intense workouts before his rounds. I know I'm not close to the shape hes in but as an example haha.

Not a regular thing to work out before golf, but I like doing some yard work just to get loose. Mowing my yard takes almost an hour so it fits in just right.

As I've aged, I'm more inclined to work out after my rounds.
Unless I could get to the house with in an hr of being at the gym, I'll be tight on the course. Especially after upper body session, Chest, back, tricep and biceps day.
When I was in my 30's, it wasn't an issue.

I've done both. I plan to work out and do a speed session this Friday morning and then play that afternoon. I also plan to work out each morning at the Bag Boy Championship (even if it's a mobility, band and ab workout). Gotta get it in!

I can speak from experience that Ballyhack makes for an immaculate morning run.

I can speak from experience that Ballyhack makes for an immaculate morning run.
I'm not a runner. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Was hoping it had a fitness center, but if not workout bands will be coming with.

Back