what does 'bulb cut in half is pulling away from the hardneck' mean? that's the one I'm not sure on
It's the one I'm least sure on too...but I think it means when you harvest, the cloves pull away from the stem (hardneck) easily. So you won't know unless you actually pull a bulb up.

It's the one I'm least sure on too...but I think it means when you harvest, the cloves pull away from the stem (hardneck) easily. So you won't know unless you actually pull a bulb up.
that makes sense

I won a ton of awards at the Rhode Island Rose Society Rose Show, sweeping the top three awards, Queen of Show, King of Show, Princess of Show.

I entered a stunning display of five different hybrid teas to win the Rhode Island Gold Rosarian Award.
In the old days you had to enter HTs, the most difficult roses to grow, but they watered down the rules to get entries.
It is a little easier in the fall, when you can time roses by cutting them a set time ahead of the show. But in the Spring the roses bloom when they want.
I had to go to Rhode Island because my roses bloomed a week early. The CT show is tomorrow.
I saw Manny (Big Boy) Mendes win the award with six Double Delights in 2009 by growing fifty bushes to get enough blooms for the award.

I was up at 3AM, drove over to RI, entered my roses, and played golf while waiting for the judges to do their thing!GoldRosarian.JPGHotPrincessQueenS.JPGFrancisMeillandS.JPGCrescendoPrincessS.JPG

I won a ton of awards at the Rhode Island Rose Society Rose Show, sweeping the top three awards, Queen of Show, King of Show, Princess of Show.

I entered a stunning display of five different hybrid teas to win the Rhode Island Gold Rosarian Award.
In the old days you had to enter HTs, the most difficult roses to grow, but they watered down the rules to get entries.
It is a little easier in the fall, when you can time roses by cutting them a set time ahead of the show. But in the Spring the roses bloom when they want.
I had to go to Rhode Island because my roses bloomed a week early. The CT show is tomorrow.
I saw Manny (Big Boy) Mendes win the award with six Double Delights in 2009 by growing fifty bushes to get enough blooms for the award.

I was up at 3AM, drove over to RI, entered my roses, and played golf while waiting for the judges to do their thing!View attachment 9097480View attachment 9097481View attachment 9097482View attachment 9097483
Congratulations! And beautiful looking flowers!

I was up at 3AM, drove over to RI, entered my roses, and played golf while waiting for the judges to do their thing!View attachment 9097480View attachment 9097481View attachment 9097482View attachment 9097483
Congrats on the wins!!

Squash have taken over the garden again :cautious: and tomatoes which I don’t eat are thriving. Apparently mint grows vines??

4728103B-BAE5-400D-9AE9-003546EA2A55.jpeg

Hey @mav52 any idea of this guy?

20220712_164530.jpg

Any good recommendations beyond fencing and projectiles to try to keep the deer away?

Any good recommendations beyond fencing and projectiles to try to keep the deer away?

How big of a space are you talking?

Buy a pack of Irish Spring bar soap.

Bust out your cheese grater, and grate around the plants. Works like a charm.

How big of a space are you talking?

Buy a pack of Irish Spring bar soap.

Bust out your cheese grater, and grate around the plants. Works like a charm.
Just a half dozen big pots and two raised beds roughly 3'x4'.

Sounds like I am off to the grocery store this evening.

Just a half dozen big pots and two raised beds roughly 3'x4'.

Sounds like I am off to the grocery store this evening.

Yeah, def the Irish spring then.

I know it sounds wacky, but I use it in the spring around/on my tulips, and roses. Deer won't go near it, and it's way better than the wolf pee.

2 tiny zucchinis and a little chubby cucumber may be all we get from those plants this year (n) of course there are no less than a dozen freaking butternut squash coming from the same vine.

How did everyone’s gardens turn out this year?

The deer fought me to a draw, but the garlic went well and the carrots are looking good as long as we don’t get a hard freeze for another 3-4 weeks

How did everyone’s gardens turn out this year?

The deer fought me to a draw, but the garlic went well and the carrots are looking good as long as we don’t get a hard freeze for another 3-4 weeks
Garlic was good for me too this year. Planting some more today for next year!

Pumpkins did well. Got enough to decorate the porch, and for the kids to carve. Strawberries really came on late in the year after I thinned them put in spring. The dahlias I grow for my wife have been amazing. We've had cut flowers since early summer, and most of them have been from the 6 varities of dahlias we grew.

Peppers did meh... and I did get some cilantro but it didn't last long before it bolted and went to seed.

Garlic was good for me too this year. Planting some more today for next year!

Pumpkins did well. Got enough to decorate the porch, and for the kids to carve. Strawberries really came on late in the year after I thinned them put in spring. The dahlias I grow for my wife have been amazing. We've had cut flowers since early summer, and most of them have been from the 6 varities of dahlias we grew.

Peppers did meh... and I did get some cilantro but it didn't last long before it bolted and went to seed.
Do you overwinter your strawberrie?

Kept ahead of the bugs so I got roses all season long. Plenty of buds waiting to open right up to the killing frost.

I stopped growing sunflowers because the squirrels would rip them apart.
Chipmunks got all the strawberries so I stopped growing them. There may be a few plants that survive year after year.
The hawks caught two bunnies in my yard in the past two months.

Zucchini & cucumber were duds. Butternut squash and strawberries did well. Snap peppers and green beans did ok too. Basil & mint were very successful and peppers & tomatoes are still going wild.

Back