Do you overwinter your strawberrie?
Yes i do. I usually trim them up a bit removing anything thats dead. Then cover with mulched up leaves for winter.

Yes i do. I usually trim them up a bit removing anything thats dead. Then cover with mulched up leaves for winter.
So the whole plant covered? Or do you trim the leaves towards the crown

So the whole plant covered? Or do you trim the leaves towards the crown
So I trim all the foliage, like the picture below, then I cover the entire plant with mulched leaves.

Screenshot_20221008-093644_Chrome.jpg

Do you clear some of the leaves come spring? At least what hasn’t broken down?
Yes. I tried to keep it one year, but then a bunch of slugs took over, so I now clear out most of the mulch come spring.

Made some homemade applesauce the other day. The smell you get while making is like a fresh apple pie. Then the taste...so much better than store bought! So grateful my grandma taught me, and my wife's grandma gave us her food mill so we could do it ourselves

20221026_122718.jpg
20221026_124938.jpg

Gf is more of the gardener though she jokes she kills everything. I got a bunch of orchids, palm tree, and money tree I take care off.

So the rest of the carrot harvest and garlic cloves are going into the grinch soup for Christmas this year. I am pretty excited about it.

Also, looks like me and the wife are gifting ourselves another raised bed which is exciting!

So the rest of the carrot harvest and garlic cloves are going into the grinch soup for Christmas this year. I am pretty excited about it.

Also, looks like me and the wife are gifting ourselves another raised bed which is exciting!
That's awesome! Did you get some more garlic in the ground for next year?

That's awesome! Did you get some more garlic in the ground for next year?
No... life got a little busy this year around planting time and we didn't use them as much as I thought. Plus my neighbors weren't keen on taking my extras. Tomatoes and peppers were easy to give away but I kept getting polite declines on the garlic.

What about you? Got garlic going?

No... life got a little busy this year around planting time and we didn't use them as much as I thought. Plus my neighbors weren't keen on taking my extras. Tomatoes and peppers were easy to give away but I kept getting polite declines on the garlic.

What about you? Got garlic going?
I did put some in the ground a while ago, so that I can keep the crop going next year. Have about 20 heads of garlic in the basement that I'll use this winter and next spring. We use quite a bit here for cooking.

I did put some in the ground a while ago, so that I can keep the crop going next year. Have about 20 heads of garlic in the basement that I'll use this winter and next spring. We use quite a bit here for cooking.
Nice! Part of it was we had been kicking around overwintering strawberries. Unfortunately before we topped them, but after garlic planting, the deer took their last bite at the crop 😢

I think we will make another go next season, as the scapes were arguably the best part!

Nice! Part of it was we had been kicking around overwintering strawberries. Unfortunately before we topped them, but after garlic planting, the deer took their last bite at the crop 😢

I think we will make another go next season, as the scapes were arguably the best part!
I started growing garlic without even knowing about the scapes, and I agree, they are so good!

How's everybody's garden or landscape looking? Most everything is fully up now here in CT. Including the damn rabbits! :mad: They are doing a number on much of my plants. Mostly my hosta collection
20220611_134643.jpg

I have a double fence around the exhibition hybrid tea roses I grow for rose shows. 2ft of one inch hardware cloth around the perimeter slows them down.
Then I have circular cages around the individual plants.

My wife’s layout by row and position in the row in the garage for the 100+ Dahlias she is planting:

IMG_1434.jpeg

Last edited:
How's everybody's garden or landscape looking? Most everything is fully up now here in CT. Including the damn rabbits! :mad: They are doing a number on much of my plants. Mostly my hosta collection
View attachment 9183555
Our garden is filling in nicely. Got the mulch down just in time for this hot week. Usually I'm doing it in 90 degree heat, so glad I missed that this year.

My wife's favorite peonies have been producing like crazy, but are almost done. A good year for them overall though.

My wife’s layout by row and posting in row in the garage for the 100+ Dahlias she is planting:

View attachment 9183562
That's awesome!! I planted 15 tubers that I saved last year. And thanks to your suggestions on storage, I was able to plant that many. Right now 10 of the 15 have come up, but it's been a good start thus far for my much smaller dahlia collection.

My wife’s layout by row and position in row in the garage for the 100+ Dahlias she is planting:

View attachment 9183562
That is fantastic! I have never had much success over-wintering dahlia tubers the couple of times I tried. Love them

Our garden is filling in nicely. Got the mulch down just in time for this hot week. Usually I'm doing it in 90 degree heat, so glad I missed that this year.

My wife's favorite peonies have been producing like crazy, but are almost done. A good year for them overall though.
Our peonies should be opening any day now. Hopefully not already as there are thunderstorms in the area this afternoon :confused:

I have a double fence around the exhibition hybrid tea roses I grow for rose shows. 2ft of one inch hardware cloth around the perimeter slows them down.
Then I have circular cages around the individual plants.
Talked to my better half a short time ago and she informed me they ate a newly planted replacement echinacea. I ordered a live catch trap today. I've had enough of them. Time to play hardball

I got 10 yards of mulch done on Tuesday and Wednesday. There's still 2 yards in the driveway because I miscalculated so my next door neighbour is going to take it.

I need to visit this post more often. @gkeller813 , what material do you use in your strawberry bed to suppress weeds? My strawberry bed is a hot mess (hoping to get to it this weekend). The asparagus in the same bed has no issue growing through the tangled mess, but the strawberries need some care.

Other than that, I am hoping to harvest garlic soon.

I got 10 yards of mulch done on Tuesday and Wednesday. There's still 2 yards in the driveway because I miscalculated so my next door neighbour is going to take it.
You just reminded me I was supposed to order some for this weekend. Too late. Delivering monday 👊

I need to visit this post more often. @gkeller813 , what material do you use in your strawberry bed to suppress weeds? My strawberry bed is a hot mess (hoping to get to it this weekend). The asparagus in the same bed has no issue growing through the tangled mess, but the strawberries need some care.

Other than that, I am hoping to harvest garlic soon.
I've used a thin layer of straw in the past, and this works pretty well, but it also gives slugs a place to hide from the sun. So I usually just hand pull the weeds to keep it in order.

Garlic has been growing well for me too! Have you been growing it long?

That is fantastic! I have never had much success over-wintering dahlia tubers the couple of times I tried. Love them

Our peonies should be opening any day now. Hopefully not already as there are thunderstorms in the area this afternoon :confused:
Those storms can wreak havoc on the peonies, so I hope the best for them and for you!

Back