The garlic scapes were just plucked from the beds and they smell amazing. I'm looking forward to cooking them up this weekend. I'm hearing good things about a garlic scape pesto I might try.

Harvested some garlic scapes! So good as a green onion substitute. Can eat them fresh on a salad, or even grill them and eat them like asparagus.

20220615_121851.jpg

The garlic scapes were just plucked from the beds and they smell amazing. I'm looking forward to cooking them up this weekend. I'm hearing good things about a garlic scape pesto I might try.

Wow, crazy timing there!! I've read about scape pesto...but never tried it. Will have to let me know how it turns out!

Also wanted to note that the beer cup trap also works on the millepede things that keep attacking my strawberries and bush beans....

That timing is crazy! I plan on going with them a few different ways. I think I will put them on a salad, grill them, and make a small batch of the pesto.

That timing is crazy! I plan on going with them a few different ways. I think I will put them on a salad, grill them, and make a small batch of the pesto.
They are a fun addition to garlic, and one I really look forward to. Just add a new complex flavor you don't usually get elsewhere.

They are a fun addition to garlic, and one I really look forward to. Just add a new complex flavor you don't usually get elsewhere.
I loved the small and texture when I was cutting them out today. Have you ever seen them in stores or farmers markets?

I loved the small and texture when I was cutting them out today. Have you ever seen them in stores or farmers markets?
No I have not, but I haven't been to many farmers markets, which is where I think you'd see them.

No I have not, but I haven't been to many farmers markets, which is where I think you'd see them.
that's kinda my thought. there are a few specialty grocers near me that 'might' get them in. I should call them tomorrow now that I think about it.

So I am in the middle of a test drive of three Earth Boxes. ANyone else use these?

We were out shopping for large rectangular planters for when we came across these:

They looked to be decent quality, I was tired of looking, so we bought two. It wasn't until we got them home that we saw we had purchased a gardening system for veggies - it would be wasted on annuals. It's a self-watering pot with packets of fertilizer and dolomite (lime), plus two plastic mulch covers. They don't hold a lot but the yields are said to be fantastic. The first two went together easily enough and looked credible, so my wife suggested we go back and buy the remaining unit. As I'm checking out at this large garden center, the cashier says, "These are my favorite things in the entire store!!! I love these things!!! Have you tried them? No? You're gonna LOVE them!!!"

I'll post some pictures soon, but after two days the box is taking up water as it said it would. The sixteen lettuce, four green peppers, and two Brussels sprouts look very happy. I never have luck with green peppers or Brussels sprouts, so I will watch with interest. The initial outlay is a little steep, but if it works as advertised, especially as we get older . . .

I might not have gone in such a big way, but my 1987 Troy-Bilt rototiller that was my dad's pride and joy has been in the shop for six weeks, waiting for two drive belts. .

So I am in the middle of a test drive of three Earth Boxes. ANyone else use these?

We were out shopping for large rectangular planters for when we came across these:

They looked to be decent quality, I was tired of looking, so we bought two. It wasn't until we got them home that we saw we had purchased a gardening system for veggies - it would be wasted on annuals. It's a self-watering pot with packets of fertilizer and dolomite (lime), plus two plastic mulch covers. They don't hold a lot but the yields are said to be fantastic. The first two went together easily enough and looked credible, so my wife suggested we go back and buy the remaining unit. As I'm checking out at this large garden center, the cashier says, "These are my favorite things in the entire store!!! I love these things!!! Have you tried them? No? You're gonna LOVE them!!!"

I'll post some pictures soon, but after two days the box is taking up water as it said it would. The sixteen lettuce, four green peppers, and two Brussels sprouts look very happy. I never have luck with green peppers or Brussels sprouts, so I will watch with interest. The initial outlay is a little steep, but if it works as advertised, especially as we get older . . .

I might not have gone in such a big way, but my 1987 Troy-Bilt rototiller that was my dad's pride and joy has been in the shop for six weeks, waiting for two drive belts. .
I can't say I've used those but they look pretty awesome. I will be waiting along with you as the design has me intrigued.

First is year #2 of the wildflower garden. Just starting to get lots of flowers.

20220617_093738.jpg

Next are the dahlias I grow for my wife. 7 different varieties this year. The open area behind the raised bed is the pumpkin patch which I'm planting this weekend.

20220617_093801.jpg

Garlic growing really well for me. Harvested most if the scapes, and the bulb harvest isn't too far off.

20220617_093808.jpg

Here is one of the boxes after three days - four peppers, two Brussels sprouts:

1655473682001.jpeg

And what I'm most excited about. There's only one on the tree, but I'm excited about this apple. It's a Scarlet Crush, a mix of Pink Lady and Honeycrisp. Really can't wait to try it!

20220617_093913.jpg

typically how long do you go from scape picking to bulb harvesting?
Here is the visual I use to help remind me of when to harvest:

Screenshot_20220617-102818_Email.jpg

Back