Favorite Album of the 90’s for us Old Timers

I remember this album coming out and EVERYONE listening to it.

View attachment 9157515

Then again, I could say the same thing about that one damn Spice Girls album hahaha

Meanwhile I was listening to Nas, Em, JayZ, Noreaga, Biggie, KRS One, etc haha
No Doubt was so good for a little while there. Loved them. Gwen looked and sounded like nobody else. Now she looks and sounds like every other blonde singer ever. Never saw anyone lose her "cool" so completely.

No Doubt was so good for a little while there. Loved them. Gwen looked and sounded like nobody else. Now she looks and sounds like every other blonde singer ever. Never saw anyone lose her "cool" so completely.
I think the same thing happened with Paramore, and probably many others.

There's a certain style that pays an awwwwful lot more money to play into haha

This was a more raw version of them, then they came with aquemini and it was just 🤯

One of my favorites to this day

This was the one for me. DMX was just coming out too but I still have my original copy of this cd in my truck right now

Body Count (Ice T's Heavy Metal Group). A classic.

Since @odom730 took mine, I will go with my #2.

TomWaits-MuleVariations.jpg

Where to start.......

Nevermind
Unplugged in New York
Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop
The Black Album
Evil Empire
Mellon Collie
Dookie
Sixteen Stone
Superunknown

and to round out the decade: Californication.

I'm sure there are loads more, but these are off the top of my head, and still in my regular rotation.

Just to clarify things, us old timers listen to music from the 50's, 60's & 70's.

Just to clarify things, us old timers listen to music from the 50's, 60's & 70's.
If we are including those years, I will have to add Sheer Heart Attack by Queen. Or maybe Rubber Soul. Or maybe Welcome to My Nightmare...

Since @odom730 took mine, I will go with my #2.

TomWaits-MuleVariations.jpg
I don’t remember this one I need to look it up!!!
Where to start.......

Nevermind
Unplugged in New York
Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop
The Black Album
Evil Empire
Mellon Collie
Dookie
Sixteen Stone
Superunknown

and to round out the decade: Californication.

I'm sure there are loads more, but these are off the top of my head, and still in my regular rotation.
So many good ones on that list.
hahahaha the title of this thread was old timers…not ancient. 😉 Just kidding.

Reactions: Ooo
I don’t remember this one I need to look it up!!!

I believe it won two grammies, which is weird considering the artist. Hold On is a stand out track.

So many great albums released in the '90s. But my top always ends up being:

Green Day - Dookie

1682977902265.png

So many good ones. I’ll go Warren G - G Funk Era - Regulate. I could listen to the whole album straight through, including the skits.

• Appreciation
Reactions: Bus
Alvin Lee 1994 - Yes, 1994 is the name of the album. Has some great cuts like this superb piece of work:

"Clarity" from Jimmy Eat World.

The song, "For Me This is Heaven." The chorus makes me think of my wife.

Top 3 band for me.

Cheshire Cat- blink 182

Ghostface Killah's album "Ironman" which is one of the greatest rap albums ever.

Favorite songs either Winter Warz or Black Jesus

• On Fire
Reactions: Bus
Many good choices. My first thought was The Cure - Disintegration, but checking the wiki to refresh my aging memory that suffers greatly from my activities in the 90s, that actually came out in May 89. So it's out.

Rancid - and out Come the Wolves is an excellent choice I'd have a hard time arguing against. Absolutely a perfect album front to back.

In my twisted little world of heavy metal, I'd have to offer up Mayhem's De Mysteriis dom Sathanas (94) which essentially defines second wave black metal or the equally astounding In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor (94). For death metal, possibly Cannibal Corpse's Tomb of the Mutilated (92), Obituary's Cause of Death (90), Morbid Angel's Blessed Are the Sick (91), or the band that is always the correct answer in metal circles: Bolt Thrower and though several of theirs could be the pick, I'd go with For Victory (94). Opeth's brilliant Morningrise (96) is possibly the best melodic death metal album of the decade, though it pales in comparison to what they would go on to in the 00's.

On the other side of the coin, there is the ethereal dream pop of Mazzy Star's So Tonight I Might See (93), the audiophile perfection of Massive Attack's Mezzanine (98), the riotous chaos of Wu Tang's Enter the 36 Chambers (93), or the unending proof that 3 white guys from NYC could define hip-hop in ways that no one could have ever imagined on Check Your Head (93) and Ill Communication (96) - take your pick.

So lots of words, but no definitive answer. So if I had to pick today, I'll go to what I spent the most time with at the time and still holds up against anything released at the time or since. Final answer, for today at least. Ask me tomorrow and you'll get a different answer.

Bad Religion - Generator (92)

Don't break my heart

I still love this Album too.

This is what I was going to say. My absolute favorite band too. Have tickets for two shows this summer. An absolute masterpiece of an album.

Back