Favorite Album of the 90’s for us Old Timers

Here's a couple that jump out at me from my high school years...

1676050430102.png

1676050450500.png

1676050501649.png

1676050556096.png

I think every era has great music. It takes time to appreciate it though mostly because the stuff that becomes popular is earworm mass produced pop music. Also a lot of grumpy people shaking their fists at the sky saying this ain’t what I’m used to.

A great example is Foo Fighters song Everlong. It’s one of the greatest rock songs ever but it wasn’teven the most popular song off that album in the 90’s. People kind of forgot about it till it showed up in the 2nd Guitar Hero game and then it started getting traction as more and more people saw the band play live and realized how freaking awesome they were. As their popularity started to skyrocket and Dave Letterman had them on for his final show the song kind of entered the lexicon of all time greats. It was always great but it took a long time to realize it.

In the exact opposite vein is a song from the early 90’s that was basically exalted as the greatest song ever within days of its release. That song was Guns N Roses November Rain. It was number one forever, it was MTV’s number one song of all time several years in a row, but when Nirvana hit the scene they totally blew up that long operatic dynamic. Now hardly anyone would put November Rain as the greatest rock song of all time.

Time changes perceptions.
No argument, every era does have great music, and terrible music. When judging a decade, it's all a matter of the ratio between the two (and personal tastes of course). I rate the 90s and 2000s because the overall level of actual musicianship dropped off rather dramatically during these decades. There were exceptions, to be sure, but actually playing your instrument well kind of became something to be embarrassed by.

Late to the party as usual, so most of what I would mention has already been covered. I'll go in a slightly different direction, I found out about Kenny Wayne Shepherd in the mid-90s, and still listen to him today, and maybe more than any other 90s artist. I'll go with his second album, Trouble Is, and instead of the most popular song from that album, and probably his whole career, Blue On Black, I'll share this one:

Old timer, nineties? Never heard of any of that stuff mentioned, as a true old timer I still listen to CCR.
That’s okay Mr. Fogerty.

This is like picking a favorite child, but I'll go with this.

View attachment 9156447

Favorite song: All of them, but if I have to pick, "For Heavens sake"
Enter the Wu-Tang would be my choice. I expected more of that made-in-the-basement raw style from Forever so I ended up kind of disappointed

Also, we got like 3 or 4 albums fro A Tribe Called Quest in the 90s!!! 🔥🔥

The Roots' Illadelp Half-life and Do You Want More?!?!!? also up there

I'll just stop and say 90s hip hop 4 life!!!

Late to the party as usual, so most of what I would mention has already been covered. I'll go in a slightly different direction, I found out about Kenny Wayne Shepherd in the mid-90s, and still listen to him today, and maybe more than any other 90s artist. I'll go with his second album, Trouble Is, and instead of the most popular song from that album, and probably his whole career, Blue On Black, I'll share this one:

Lie to me is, to this day, a song that I'll stop and listen to when I come across it. Walking through a mall. I'm stopping. Searching through local stations, I'm stopping.

A lot of contenders for this one. But the one that sticks out the most is:

Which came out originally in 1991.
Fun story (at least for me). When I got married to my wife, this song was playing when she walked to me with her father and we went to the ceremony spot.

download.jpeg

Nostalgia triggered.

I've browsed the responses in this thread and overwhelming agree with most every album posted. If I had to pick *one* album that I feel defined the 90's - it would be TEN by Pearl Jam. That album came out of nowhere and it's opening track eerily and angrily announced itself like an exploding bomb. To me, that is the defining album of the decade.

I've browsed the responses in this thread and overwhelming agree with most every album posted. If I had to pick *one* album that I feel defined the 90's - it would be TEN by Pearl Jam. That album came out of nowhere and it's opening track eerily and angrily announced itself like an exploding bomb. To me, that is the defining album of the decade.
I love Ten too and it’s number two but Nevermind was first so that’s the one for me. I still remember the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. I went out and bought the cd within about a half hour. The last time I heard a song and went out and bought the record before hearing anything else on the album was Born to Run by Springsteen.

4dddccb81c502582f2e590d04f427af4.jpg

Easily Eminem Slim Shady LP. It was dark and told a story. I couldn’t get enough and him being from Detroit made it even better. I appreciate all the music from that time but this was the first album I can remember being excited about for its release.

I remember this album coming out and EVERYONE listening to it.

1676342546496.png

Then again, I could say the same thing about that one damn Spice Girls album hahaha

Meanwhile I was listening to Nas, Em, JayZ, Noreaga, Biggie, KRS One, etc haha

oh man, so many great albums. I can't just say one, but my top two would be Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream with Mayonaise being my favorite song on the album, or Pantera - Cowboys from Hell with my favorite song being Cemetery Gates, but that entire album shreds.

Prodigy was so good and put on a great show. I love Music for the Jilted Generation. Such a solid album. I've never listened to all of Fat of the Land that I remember.... I'm going to have to.
I like your style...

My two favorites are so close to 2000 that I'm barely sure they're considered 90's, which is probably pretty telling of my age.

Dr. Dre - 2001
1676346796834.png

Blink-182 - Enema of the State
1676346747591.png

I really do love
Nevermind and In Utero by Nirvana
Aquemini and ATLiens by Outkast
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins
Weezer

And I think RAtM - Battle of Los Angeles is also pretty underrated.
1676348822905.png

Tom Petty - Wildflowers (Song: Crawling Back To You)

Runner up: Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union (Without a Trace)

Such a good thread and lots of great answers already, but i'm going this one:

1676376298364.png

With Notorious Thugs being my favorite of a great album.

Back