Favorite Album of the 90’s for us Old Timers

One of these 3

485BF35B-0D01-4FE1-A1BC-323E34B1F813.pngCC0D6663-3DDC-4EBC-9CE0-15B040E3846B.pngA1074A9A-C59D-413F-8E16-A957BFEB8436.png

Man, this thread is really reminding me how the 90s take were the best era for so many genres of music. I suppose most people probably feel that way about the music from their middle school to college years, but I'm actually right in this case, not just biased. 🤣
Funny, because I would say although there are always great albums and good music in every decade (most of what's on this thread proves that), as a whole, the only thing worse than the 90s was the 2000s.

Funny, because I would say although there are always great albums and good music in every decade (most of what's on this thread proves that), as a whole, the only thing worse than the 90s was the 2000s.

Weezer - The Blue Album is one of my favorites. Still listen to it all the time.

"Dogman" from King's X is probably my favorite of that decade ('93 HS grad). Every song on that album hits, and to this day guitar players are still chasing Ty's tone from that album.

Runner ups include Mineral's "End Serenading", Saves The Day's "Through Being Cool" and Weezer's "Pinkerton".

The gold medal goes to…

1676033489503.jpeg

Silver medal - Nirvana, Nevermind.

I think every era has great music. It takes time to appreciate it though mostly because the stuff that becomes popular is earworm mass produced pop music. Also a lot of grumpy people shaking their fists at the sky saying this ain’t what I’m used to.

A great example is Foo Fighters song Everlong. It’s one of the greatest rock songs ever but it wasn’teven the most popular song off that album in the 90’s. People kind of forgot about it till it showed up in the 2nd Guitar Hero game and then it started getting traction as more and more people saw the band play live and realized how freaking awesome they were. As their popularity started to skyrocket and Dave Letterman had them on for his final show the song kind of entered the lexicon of all time greats. It was always great but it took a long time to realize it.

In the exact opposite vein is a song from the early 90’s that was basically exalted as the greatest song ever within days of its release. That song was Guns N Roses November Rain. It was number one forever, it was MTV’s number one song of all time several years in a row, but when Nirvana hit the scene they totally blew up that long operatic dynamic. Now hardly anyone would put November Rain as the greatest rock song of all time.

Time changes perceptions.

Incubus - Make Yourself
Bone Thugs N Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
Outkast - ATLiens

The gold medal goes to…

View attachment 9156550

Silver medal - Nirvana, Nevermind.

it's shocking that this album went unmentioned until the 4th page of the thread. it's the goat of that genre for me. best song is hard to nail down, but i'm going with mayonnaise. still gives me chills to this day and i've probably listened to it over a hundred times.

I saw them on the Smoking Grooves tour in 1997. With The Roots, Cypress Hill, a bunch of others, and George Clinton finished the show coming down from the ceiling in a big UFO.

It was cool.
That sounds about like the best concert ever
I actually saw the Smoking Grooves tour in 1998 @ the Red Rocks amp in Colorado. Unfortunately Outkast wasn't part of it that year but Cypress Hill, Gang Starr, Wyclef, etc. were. Black Eyed Peas (I belived pre-Fergie) opened the show actually and no one knew who they were. Was a great day.

I think every era has great music. It takes time to appreciate it though mostly because the stuff that becomes popular is earworm mass produced pop music. Also a lot of grumpy people shaking their fists at the sky saying this ain’t what I’m used to.

This right here. There's so much amazing music out there from all eras, and to be honest it's pretty easy to find it. The 2000s is when MTV stopped being about music and a lot of radio stations went the pop route, but that doesn't mean there wasn't tons of fantastic guitar-based rock out there. Honestly the spread of the internet and the lowered cost of recording music meant a huge explosion in bands and music genres. The past 15-20 years have been a great time to be a music fan.

Old Timers? You bite your tongue! But to answer your question,

Album: Nevermind - Nirvana
Song from that album: Breed
Nice deep cut

i knew i liked you!!! two of my favorite bands are in this lineup. incubus started to lose me with aclotm, but fa all the way through mv may be the best run of that genre of music of all time. amazing musicianship, innovative, and evolving. and they still put on a helluva show. same with 311!!!
Love the philosophy of Make Yourself. Just a great album when I was in college.

We had tickets to go see 311/Incubus in the summer of 2020. I was going to take the whole family and it COVIDed. Would have been my 7th time seeing 311 and 2nd for Incubus.

For me it had to be 2-PAC All Eyez on Me. That entire album was downright gold! Just thinking of it brings back memories right now. I may pour a bourbon and throw on some…

I was such a huge Grunge head in high school that I almost went with something from Local H or Foo Fighters or Nirvana. But man - All Eyez on Me defined the last two years of high school for me. It played at every party - every sporting event bus trip. Anytime I hear that album I'm transported back so I have to go with that.

I don't know if I could pick one album. Every time I think of one, I think of another one.

Green Day’s Nim Rod album really put music on the map for me as a kid. I stumbled upon a Nim Rod CD at a Boys and Girls club when I was 9 and it blew me away. It introduced me to punk music and from there I fell in love with Blink-182, The Offspring, and so many others. Killer era of music for me.

Time of your life(Good Riddance) is hands down my favorite song from that album.
I was introduced to Green Day from a German exchange student that stayed with our family. Listened to that album so much!

Where are my Black Crowes people at???
Their first two albums were great.

I still love this Album too.

Back