What would you say your typical GIR was before gaming the SMS? 13 and 12 is pretty fantastic! Were you fighting a particular miss in your irons that these have helped with? Curious since you have the heavy weight in center vs out in the toe or heel where others have placed it to help with the face at impact and things like that.
I would say GIR were about 6-7 per round before give or rake a few here or there. I had a left miss but I was in a lighter shaft also. I went form 85R to 105S. Every time I hit someone’s club with a heavier shaft I hit it better so I decided to dive in on that. When we did the fitting I was getting the best smash factor, distance and overall result with the weight in the center. We tried the heel and toe option and the results were not as good. It is cool I can always change that if ever needed. From my results on course I’m not touching a thing!

Tested wedges today and brought my GW for gapping purposes.

Biggest takeaway is the snow needs to melt quick so I can go play. They still feel great.
Soon my friend...soon...

I'm the same way, really can't wait to hit the SMS 7i some more once the weather turns. In early testing it's been really good. A great feeling and performing iron. Really excited to give this a real workout in the spring, when the conditions are usually varied and challenging.

I would say GIR were about 6-7 per round before give or rake a few here or there. I had a left miss but I was in a lighter shaft also. I went form 85R to 105S. Every time I hit someone’s club with a heavier shaft I hit it better so I decided to dive in on that. When we did the fitting I was getting the best smash factor, distance and overall result with the weight in the center. We tried the heel and toe option and the results were not as good. It is cool I can always change that if ever needed. From my results on course I’m not touching a thing!
Wow, that is awesome and some pretty huge improvements. The 2x GIRs is crazy and hope it stays that way for the long haul - the irons are definitely working for you!

Wow, that is awesome and some pretty huge improvements. The 2x GIRs is crazy and hope it stays that way for the long haul - the irons are definitely working for you!
I hope so also lol. They are working really well. I had to recount the GIR because i didn't believe it. The DART V shaft and this head paired up just work very well for me for whatever reason.

Working on learning to hit a knockdown shot today. @Wildcat makes that shot look easy lol. That is going to take some work but will be worth learning. I didn't hit a ton of irons today just a few PW and 7 irons then went into the woods. Came back to the irons at the end to work on the knock down. The SMS are feeling really dialed in.

Third round in the 70’s today with a 78 and the irons were awesome. I had 9 GIR and just had some on the fringe that rolled off a bit. I had two 5 iron shots today that I loved. First was a par 3 playing 205. I figured I would roll the ball up on the green if I hit it well. I crushed the ball flew right over the road and just rolled off the back of the green. Here is the tee shot view and where I ended up.
IMG_4892.jpeg20240224_140020.jpeg
On 18 I put my drive to the right side of the FW and had 180 up to the pin with a headwind. I pulled the 5 as I didn’t want to be short. I hit it well but a hair thin and though I was well short. When I walked up here is where I found my ball! Kick in bird on 18 is a great way to finish.
IMG_4893.jpeg
Irons are feeling really dialed right now. I also ordered the matching 4 iron today. Will fill a gap perfectly.

Third round in the 70’s today with a 78 and the irons were awesome. I had 9 GIR and just had some on the fringe that rolled off a bit. I had two 5 iron shots today that I loved. First was a par 3 playing 205. I figured I would roll the ball up on the green if I hit it well. I crushed the ball flew right over the road and just rolled off the back of the green. Here is the tee shot view and where I ended up.
View attachment 9244672View attachment 9244673
On 18 I put my drive to the right side of the FW and had 180 up to the pin with a headwind. I pulled the 5 as I didn’t want to be short. I hit it well but a hair thin and though I was well short. When I walked up here is where I found my ball! Kick in bird on 18 is a great way to finish.
View attachment 9244674
Irons are feeling really dialed right now. I also ordered the matching 4 iron today. Will fill a gap perfectly.
A measly 9 GIRs today and not 13? ;) I kind of really really want some SMS irons.

A measly 9 GIRs today and not 13? ;) I kind of really really want some SMS irons.
They are worth looking at for sure!

Working some takeaways today. I was working on a more controlled shots so i don't overdraw the ball.

I’ve been fortunate enough to game these for almost a year, yet I’m still amazed at the quality of contact I get from being able to dial them into my swing.

I just built a complete custom set of single length irons using SMS Pro irons. I have to go through my final testing and make the final changes in the next week before we start getting on the course regularly. I did decide to add an SMS 4-5 irons also built as custom single length just because I thought those heads would be a little more forgiving.

Here are some pictures of the clubs and also the club data from my initial testing. The club testing was with my old launch monitor and I didn’t have club stickers on so the club data isn’t real, but the ball data is. These are the best clubs I have ever owned:

EDEL SMS Pro 4-PW
EDEL SMS wedges GW, SW, LW - I believe they were the T grind. If anyone wants more info I will look it up to confirm.IMG_0069.jpegIMG_1391.jpegIMG_1360.jpegIMG_1362.jpegIMG_1363.jpeg

Got some rounds in this weekend. Sat i was just off with the irons so i went to the range early Sunday and got it figured out. I had a great day in the scramble i played in and felt great about the swing. We had an opening tee shot on a par 3 at 148 yards that looked like it was 170 lol. It just felt long with the desert carry and huge ravine in front. I grabbed my 8 and put a nice shot about 20 feet right of the pin and made the put! It was nice to start out with a birdie for the round. I think 7-8 people tried out my 7 iron yesterday while warming up. Rave reviews for the Edel SMS on the feel and looks. I explained the weighting system a lot yesterday lol. Here is a pic of the first tee shot we had.
paloma.jpgpaloma1.jpg

Got some rounds in this weekend. Sat i was just off with the irons so i went to the range early Sunday and got it figured out. I had a great day in the scramble i played in and felt great about the swing. We had an opening tee shot on a par 3 at 148 yards that looked like it was 170 lol. It just felt long with the desert carry and huge ravine in front. I grabbed my 8 and put a nice shot about 20 feet right of the pin and made the put! It was nice to start out with a birdie for the round. I think 7-8 people tried out my 7 iron yesterday while warming up. Rave reviews for the Edel SMS on the feel and looks. I explained the weighting system a lot yesterday lol. Here is a pic of the first tee shot we had.
View attachment 9246291View attachment 9246292
That’s awesome! Congrats. It’s funny the number of people I have spoken to that believe the weighting system is just a gimmick.

I probably thought that same thing until I went through my own testing. Now I am a believer.

Brought the 7 iron this weekend to a bachelor party. 11 guys. They all enjoyed trying it out and the best part was none of them had ever heard of Edel. They were impressed.

Got the SMS 7i out on course again yesterday. I continue to be impressed with the feel, and the performance is there to match it. Such a consistent club for me from 160 out. Turf interaction on a wet muddy course has me very impressed as well.

That’s awesome! Congrats. It’s funny the number of people I have spoken to that believe the weighting system is just a gimmick.

I probably thought that same thing until I went through my own testing. Now I am a believer.
I find that hard to believe also considering there are a few good YT videos showing the weighting does actually work.

I find that hard to believe also considering there are a few good YT videos showing the weighting does actually work.
The weights are 100% real. It's kinda crazy, but also so clear once you think through how some irons can work well for you and others just don't. There have been several I've tried in the bay and when I look at all the mass in a certain area, I go, yeah, I know that's why that doesn't work well for me.

The weights are 100% real. It's kinda crazy, but also so clear once you think through how some irons can work well for you and others just don't. There have been several I've tried in the bay and when I look at all the mass in a certain area, I go, yeah, I know that's why that doesn't work well for me.
So, I mean this makes sense, but do you have different setups in specific irons?

So, I mean this makes sense, but do you have different setups in specific irons?
I'm a heel guy down through PW. So there have been other models with a bunch of mass towards to toe that just don't work well for me.

I do, however, transition to center in the GW and then go with a 2-4-6 combination in my SW and LW to push it towards the toe. Toe-biased seems to work better for me for partial swings and chips based on both my fitting and confirmed on course.

I'm a heel guy down through PW. So there have been other models with a bunch of mass towards to toe that just don't work well for me.

I do, however, transition to center in the GW and then go with a 2-4-6 combination in my SW and LW to push it towards the toe. Toe-biased seems to work better for me for partial swings and chips based on both my fitting and confirmed on course.
Me too actually.
I was a heel guy through the PW and then moved to the two on my wedges.

I’ve had more iron shots with that sizzle with the Edel irons than any others I’ve bagged. I 100% attribute that to the weighting.

Solid day with the SMS irons. I hung a few out right but no slices and hooks today. I had 9 GIR in total today. I had a few just on the fringe. The feel and sound i get with them is so good. Back at it tomorrow so hoping to continue with the good play.

I got my first 9 holes with my new irons today also. The Edel irons are badass. That’s all I can say. I am going to start another thread on the new bag I bought to keep them looking sexy as ever. :)

Back