Coolest Thing you have Seen on the Course?

I was playing golf in Florida at Pensacola NAS..My bother got me on the course, he was a Captain stationed there...I was a single and hooked up with 7 great guys, all retired Navy veterans in their late 60s, early 70s.....FYI: Pensacola NAS golf course is surrounded on 2 sides by a veteran's cemetery..My group was on a tee box and their buddies were just finishing up on the green we just left....There was a burial going on nearby (about 100 yards away) and the bugler started palying Taps...All 7 guys just dropped their clubs, removed their hats, faced the ceremony and saluted...I was never in the service but I followed their lead..3 of the guys had tears...Very solemn gesture on their part..Is this not a great country...

Forgot to mention Pensacola NAS is home to the Blue Angels And on Tuesday and Wednesday of most weeks (I was there on the course one of those days) they practice their entire routines...You haven't felt the ground shake on a golf course like it does when an F-18 flies over at just 250 feet....Awesome...Sidenote: my brother was the commander and flew Jet #1 during that time...

One of the coolest things is at a course where I play often is near Airforce Base. I get to see the airshow free while golfing. It pretty cool to be playing gof and watching the Blue Angels doing their stunts. I get to see those cool F-22 (I think thats what they are) doing touch and goes quite frequently.

You guys are living my dream.

In 2007 I was playing golf in Florida at Pensacola NAS..My bother got me on the course, he was a Captain stationed there...I was a single and hooked up with 7 great guys, all retired Navy veterans in their late 60s, early 70s.....FYI: Pensacola NAS golf course is surrounded on 2 sides by a veteran's cemetery..My group was on a tee box and their buddies were just finishing up on the green we just left....There was a burial going on nearby (about 100 yards away) and the bugler started palying Taps...All 7 guys just dropped their clubs, removed their hats, faced the ceremony and saluted...I was never in the service but I followed their lead..3 of the guys had tears...Very solemn gesture on their part..Is this not a great country...

I think this one wins hands down. God Bless America, and her service men.

I had a great father-son experience. My father was in town visiting from California. The night before we watched Field of Dreams, a great father-son flick. Then the next morning, I got my first and only hole-in-one paried up with my Dad. A weekend to remember.

The only thing interesting so far is seeing a family of deer walking across the fairway. Then one of then turned around and pooped haa haa haa

Its all fun and games till one of your new pink golf balls lands in it. Then... it's war.
The only thing interesting so far is seeing a family of deer walking across the fairway. Then one of then turned around and pooped haa haa haa

A tree getting struck by lightning while under cover... It just exploded about 200 yards from us...

As far as nature goes I saw coyotes fornicating....Damn dogs.
The coolest thing was, as we were on the 14th green putting, a ball came out of nowhere and went right in the cup! A guy on the 12th tee box hit a wild shot and holed it on our green. About a 175 yard shot!

I see deer all the time at a certain course I play.
I have seen a giant coyote resting under a tree when I played a few rounds in Reno where my dad lives.
One of the funniest things (I guess you could say) is when I was driving along the cartpath headed to my ball when all of a sudden one of the many, many, squirrels on the course confused itself, ran left and right multiple times until it ran into my cart's tire and died. :( poor squirrel.

At a course in Canada called Wooden Sticks I saw a deer run out of the woods under my partners wedge shot into the green. It would have been a perfect picture but who is ready for those types of situations.

Definitely some great stories! I like the one about the Vets!

so i work at a course and i was coming off the range after collecting empty baskets and i witnessed...
a guy had his cart parked under a big tree and almost died
it was unbelievably windy today and the wind blew a branch the size of a log/tree trunk right next to this guys cart
dude jumped out of the cart on the other side so fast he ran into the tree hahaha
it just fell straight down from maybe 30-40ft up and it thudded really loud... almost a boom lol

I believe there is an air force base somewhere around Myrtle Beach. I was playing a round at one of the courses there and the jets were practicing different formations while we were playing. At my home course, I was playing a par 3 that borders the woods. I heard something running in the woods and then a deer came sprinting out with a dog right on its heels. I don't know if the dog ever caught it, but it was hilarious to watch.

I ran across this little critter next to the 16th green this morning:
IMG_0399.jpg

Well he looks like a nice little furry guy..

Better watch out though, may be like the little CaddyShack gopher lol

i was on hole 5's tee box today and 4's green is right behind it. We were waiting for the (slow) group in front of us to hit their second shots and i looked back and the 1 guy in the 3 some behind us was wearing a Captain America Mask and a bright blue skirt with red suspenders holding it up!!!! i quickly told my buddy i was playing with to turn around and look as we were staring at this guy he said "hello evil doers" i couldn't stop laughing. We came to find out later that these guys play often together and if anyone gets a double bogey on a hole you have to wear the Captain America mask on the next and if you Triple Bogey or higher you have to wear the skirt and the mask. The poor guy that was wearing the skirt and mask had it on all but 2 holes that we saw. thinking about adding this to my bag for my regular 4 some when we just wanna go out and have a good time! lol

That's hilarious. Hopefully the skirt is moisture wicking and not cotton, haha.

LIving in Florida the aligators are a pretty common occurance, but none the less awsome and have seen a bald eagle standing on a branch of a tree, love those birds, but the one thing i saw that i still think about was a great horned owl. Playing at Reunion in Orlando we had just left a hole and had a quick curvy drive through a wooded area to the next tee box. My partner and i had just come around a corner when this owl which was comming the other way along the path pulled up just short of the cart as I slammed on the breaks, Its wing span, spread out, had to have been 4-5 feet wide. We were face to face no more than 4 feet apart. We both ducked and the owl flew off, but it was an awsome sight.

I was standing on a tee box (playing alone) waiting for the twosome in front of me, kind of doing that arms-up-lean-on-your-driver thing just watching patiently. I hear something in the woods to my left and look over as a young deer (still a few spots) pops out not 30ft from me. I stood perfectly still as it munched on some bushes and grass. Then the damn thing just looked at me and started moving towards me. Again, motionless and trying not to even breathe too loudly, I watched Bambi Jr. walk right past me (10ft away) and meander back into the bushes and down the hill. It was pretty damn cool.

Oh yeah, this was on Robins AFB, so they're not too shy as there aren't too many people shooting at them. I have had other nearby sightings, but this one, I could've almost reached out and touched.

I believe there is an air force base somewhere around Myrtle Beach. I was playing a round at one of the courses there and the jets were practicing different formations while we were playing.

I played a few weeks ago at the AC Read Air Force base in Pensacola. The Blue Angels were taking off, landing and screaming overhead practicing their formations for their upcoming show on July 9th. AC Read is their home base so they put on their best show for the home crowd.

Back