Coolest Thing you have Seen on the Course?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a decent one.

I saw, as I walked across a bridge to the 18th green, a heron swoop down and land on a log in the middle of the greenside pond. As I sunk my putt, the heron speared a fish out of the water, and shot into the sky. I was in awe.

Years ago at the 9 holer I play all the time , at the 8th tee box early in the morning I was Teeing up my ball and 3 young red fox came out of the trees and were playing pretty hard with each other , they were having such a ball I just sat on the grass and watched them for several minutes till momma came and ran them back into the trees .
On the same hole this past year in the heat of the day I watched a huge Snapping turtle ( 40 -50 lbs ) go across the fairway into the water .

That is pretty awesome. I love seeing deer on the golf course. When I am alone on the course, they come out quite often, and mind their own business as I play.

Years ago at the 9 holer I play all the time , at the 8th tee box early in the morning I was Teeing up my ball and 3 young red fox came out of the trees and were playing pretty hard with each other , they were having such a ball I just sat on the grass and watched them for several minutes till momma came and ran them back into the trees .
On the same hole this past year in the heat of the day I watched a huge Snapping turtle ( 40 -50 lbs ) go across the fairway into the water .

Were you golfing with me? I saw the EXACT same thing last year.

Two of the courses I play regularly have a pair nesting bald eagles. That is a cool thing to see, today I was coming down #18 and one was eating a fish beside a fairway bunker. I see a lot of wildlife everyday but eagles always stand out.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

just yesterday one of the courses bald eagles scooped a huge fish out of the lake and took it up into its nest

Golfers viewing wildlife is one of the main causes of slow play.

Kevin

Back in late summer last year, I was playing at a local course outside of town when I saw a bobcat with two kittens following behind it!

We see a lot of deer, ducks, road-runners, etc. on courses in my area!

My 5 yr old getting his first par ever. Yes it was on a short course, hole was 65 yards. He drove the green and 2 putted. Safe to say I was awestruck.

Ha! That's me, but its a part of the golf experience...plus its cooler than watching the old gray snowbirds flapping around the greens.

Kevin

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Several years ago playing a course in Southern Minnesota a young otter came bounding out of the grass at the edge of a pond right in front of me, scared both of us so bad we both turned to run. Was pretty cool, haven't seen an otter in the wild since I lived in Ottertail county in Northern Minnesota many years ago.

A coyote lying along the fairway, after we walked by it "stalked" us for about 100 yds, then trotted off in the other direction. (I had my wedge in my hand the whole time it was "stalking" us, while I was walking backwards keeping an eye on it)

Saw the wickedest squirrel fight ever. These 2 little squirrels started going at it about 30 feet above us in some trees. Fighting from tree to tree till finally they both went over the limb and came crashing down about 20 feet from us. They both hopped up, shook it off, and ran after each other continuing the fight. It was awesome.

Kevin

Look at them over there, just watching.

When I play with my dad at Hurlburt AFB I have seen C-5s and Ospreys

Coolest thing -- 5 holes-in-one during my lifetime so you guys may want to pay me cash money to golf with you. My favorite one involved my brother who was probably 17 at the time and the hole was facing due east into the glaring sun. He caught it a hair thin and we were a bit "volcanic" back in the day and he couldn't see it and thought he'd hit a bad shot and was in the process of slamming his club repeatedly into the ground when I said, "Uh, I think that just went in". He stopped mid slam and said, "What?" Last year I was playing with my other brother when he got his first hole in one. Later that year I had a tee shot on the same 165 yard par 3 that lipped out. I guess that one would fit into the category of worst things you've seen on a golf course. Sigh. Still waiting.

The coolest thing I see on the course is the crows brawling with the squirells.

Oh and one time I hit an approach shot into a bunker and this Golden Retriever ran out from the yard along the golf course and picked up my ball and dropped it right beside the hole. Talk about a well-trained dog. Proof positive why they are called Man's Best Friend.

15th hole of the local dog-track. The tee is slightly elevated. There's a single deer about 50 yds in front of the tee, just standing there. There are numerous flies around it and it seems strangely preoccupied with them as it shakes its head, twitches its ears, and snorts heavily.

I tee off and head toward the deer, fully expecting it to do as deer do and bolt into the trees. But it remains, lost in its world of buzzing distraction. I could've made a wide berth around it, and certainly should have, but I instead headed straight for it. When I passed, I was no more than 6 or 7' from it. Just as I was even with its head, it turned and looked me dead in the eye. Lol... I actually, non-chalantly, gave it a reassuring nod. It just casually turned away and continued snorting and twitching its ears.

When I was about 50' past, it meandered back into the woods.

Weird, but really cool. Felt like I was at a petting zoo for a while, there. :wink:

Witnessed a buddy slice his drive towards a field with cattle in it, ball hits cow in the head and bounces back into play and he ends up par. Cow is dazed and confused and has no idea what the hell happened. I literally laughed until the point of almost peeing myself.

(The cow was OK but I'm sure has since become beef jerky PETA lovers lol)

my buddy fell into a pond. he was trying to pull his ball out of the water while leaning precariously over the edge. he lost footing and went face first into the water. I was dying laughing; he was so angry - i took off in the cart bc i didnt want him to get in it. hahha i can still see him soaked to the bone chasing that cart up the path. good memories

Juvenile bald eagle eating his lunch green side. They are majestic birds, even when they haven't grown in their white feathers. Took a moment to pay homage.

Next to that it would be all of the clowns who wear Loudmouth and can't play a lick. Those guys crack me up to no end.

Just as I was leaving the course last year while packing up my car a young moose wandered down to the course to escape the heat and bathe in the pond by the 9th hole. The size of moose always amazes me. This one was a female probably about a year old but still a massive beast.

A fox stole my playing partners ball, so e chase him down, it was a slow day, and just off in the woods musta been 100 balls, needless to say we split em lol

Back