Cleveland Mashie Irons Preview Thread

I am thinking about going back to a max game improvement set and these have definitely caught my eye. MSRP is certainly in my ballpark. Especially given that this is a 3-5h, 6-PW set.

Tapatalk

Check out the HB3's too. I really like them.

Did the MC captains spend any time with these guys?

They were hit by all 3 of us and I even put them into play yesterday. I have to say if one likes high launch and straight, its hard to find a fault here. The sole does in fact work extremely well to limit a bounce effect that we sometimes see in larger soled clubs as it makes contact with harder ground.

They were hit by all 3 of us and I even put them into play yesterday. I have to say if one likes high launch and straight, its hard to find a fault here. The sole does in fact work extremely well to limit a bounce effect that we sometimes see in larger soled clubs as it makes contact with harder ground.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Lol. I like this piece!

That last sentence is pretty interesting to me. That's one of the negatives I thought I noticed with the Redlines at times, especially mid to late summer depending on the course/range I was at..

I need to see these side by side with the Black irons. Just for curiosity more than anything.

JB - not sure if any of the guys that have hit these yet have a tendency to hit the ball fat but I was wondering how you think these may compare against a typical GE iron (if there is such a thing). I just know that from recently playing a club with a fairly sharp leading edge if I came in behind the ball too far I was digging a hole rather than getting a little forgiveness and getting closer to the ball before going under so to speak. Think this would/does offer good forgiveness in that aspect?

Yes. Though I did not hit them on the course, only on the range. I will admit, I didn't think the gliderail sole would have a serious enough effect on the sole of the irons, but in reality it does help as JB pointed out. High and straight is a predictable outcome with these. JB used them for 2 rounds I think and hit them well for each of those rounds. This set comes with 3,4,5 Mashie Hybrid. However, the shaft in the Mashie hybrid is not the C Kua shaft you get from the Mashie Hybrid we've been hearing about for the last year. I also think there may be a tad more offset(not much) and the toe design seemed a little different too. If you are looking for a good iron that gives you distance and forgiveness, these need to be on your list.

JB - not sure if any of the guys that have hit these yet have a tendency to hit the ball fat but I was wondering how you think these may compare against a typical GE iron (if there is such a thing). I just know that from recently playing a club with a fairly sharp leading edge if I came in behind the ball too far I was digging a hole rather than getting a little forgiveness and getting closer to the ball before going under so to speak. Think this would/does offer good forgiveness in that aspect?

I do. I think a larger soled iron with a "duller" leading edge COULD assist in the early digging, but nothing will rid the flaw of course.

Anybody at the FL get-together hit the Mashie irons? The Blacks are really sexy, but I certainly can't rule these out based on looks alone.

They definitely look very nice. My first Mashie is on the way right now so, having hopped on board, I'll be very interested to see how the irons perform. Love the simplistic design.

I have been thinking more and more about these and I am going to take them to the range next week for a thorough testing of each iron and distances. With many larger iron heads, the sole can cause some issues for people due to a rounded leading edge that can be prone to catching the ball slightly thin. With the rails across the bottom, in initial testing, I saw absolutely none of that which is making me think more and more about these.

I have been thinking more and more about these and I am going to take them to the range next week for a thorough testing of each iron and distances. With many larger iron heads, the sole can cause some issues for people due to a rounded leading edge that can be prone to catching the ball slightly thin. With the rails across the bottom, in initial testing, I saw absolutely none of that which is making me think more and more about these.

I noticed the same type of thing while testing them on the range. I didn't think the gliderail sole would really have much of an effect on the irons, like it does with the FW and hybrid. But really I believe it helped. I don't remember many thin shots at all. I wish you can get it in a 5i instead of the hybrid, and maybe you can through custom order.

I noticed the same type of thing while testing them on the range. I didn't think the gliderail sole would really have much of an effect on the irons, like it does with the FW and hybrid. But really I believe it helped. I don't remember many thin shots at all. I wish you can get it in a 5i instead of the hybrid, and maybe you can through custom order.

I'm curious about this as well.

I'm curious about this as well.

I don't know how the lofts work out, but if I was a Cleveland staffer and was going to use these for MC 2.0, I'd rather order the Mashie 5 Hyrbid instead of getting the one that comes in the set. There was something a little different about the one in the set to me, plus it didn't have the C Kua shaft. Though if you could order a 5 iron in a Mashie iron head, I would go that route too.

I'm kicking myself for not realizing these irons were at THP, as a Cleveland staffer these are high on the radar for MC choices. JB or Ddec have either of you had the chance to use the 9-PW for bump shots around the green? I ask because I sometimes catch bigger soled irons a little thin when trying that shot and with the rails on these I wonder if that makes that shot easier or more difficult.

I'm kicking myself for not realizing these irons were at THP, as a Cleveland staffer these are high on the radar for MC choices. JB or Ddec have either of you had the chance to use the 9-PW for bump shots around the green? I ask because I sometimes catch bigger soled irons a little thin when trying that shot and with the rails on these I wonder if that makes that shot easier or more difficult.

Me too. JB brought a lot of irons out to the range when we were there for the Westchase outing, I hit a good bit but forgot to hit these. Kicking myself for not hitting these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have not. I really only hit them on the range. JB did use them for 2 rounds I believe while I was down there though so he might have.

I don't know how the lofts work out, but if I was a Cleveland staffer and was going to use these for MC 2.0, I'd rather order the Mashie 5 Hyrbid instead of getting the one that comes in the set. There was something a little different about the one in the set to me, plus it didn't have the C Kua shaft. Though if you could order a 5 iron in a Mashie iron head, I would go that route too.

Thanks ddec.

I have been really thinking a lot about these recently. I am going to take them out to the range this weekend and see about comparing them to the 588s and which one seems to fit what I am looking for.

I have been really thinking a lot about these recently. I am going to take them out to the range this weekend and see about comparing them to the 588s and which one seems to fit what I am looking for.

Do you know if they are going to offer a 5 iron, JB?

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Good luck with your comparison. You could end up with some major Mashie-ness going on if you choose these!

Thought I would check in and see if any anyone has had the chance to use these a little more. Also, a couple questions: If someone already has a couple Mashies, would they be basically getting another set of Mashie hybrids plus some irons? So you would need to sell some maybe? I read a comment that these Mashie hybrids have different shafts, are the originals better? Also, how large are these compared to the HB3s? Thanks.

Thought I would check in and see if any anyone has had the chance to use these a little more. Also, a couple questions: If someone already has a couple Mashies, would they be basically getting another set of Mashie hybrids plus some irons? So you would need to sell some maybe? I read a comment that these Mashie hybrids have different shafts, are the originals better? Also, how large are these compared to the HB3s? Thanks.

I have played a few rounds with them and really like the irons quite a bit. As for the hybrids, that would really be player dependent because you would want to fill all of your gaps accordingly. The irons are quite a bit smaller than HB3s

I have played a few rounds with them and really like the irons quite a bit. As for the hybrids, that would really be player dependent because you would want to fill all of your gaps accordingly. The irons are quite a bit smaller than HB3s

Thanks JB. How would you compare the hybrids in the set to the original Mashies? I imagine this is a tough question, but I think the set comes with 3h, 4h, 5h and 6-PW. If you already had the Mashie 3 and 4, would you keep them over the ones in the set or the other way around? Sorry to put you on the spot here.

Back