Cleveland Mashie Irons Preview Thread

You have me convinced now. I foresee a trip to THP HQ to actually try these out.

--
tapatalk

War Eagle do you prefer the Mashie irons over the Black irons?
Do you prefer the mashie hybrid that comes with the set over the mashie hybrid?

War Eagle do you prefer the Mashie irons over the Black irons?
Do you prefer the mashie hybrid that comes with the set over the mashie hybrid?
majBC, I am a big fan of the Black irons, especially with the Miyazaki shafts that come stock in them. Unfortunately, I have only hit the Mashie irons on a sim and have not put them in play to give you a feeling as which irons I prefer over each other. If you want a combo set of irons/hybrids, then I would say you cant go wrong with the Mashie set.

I have not hit the newer Mashie hybrids, only last years model, and when comparing the two, I liked the hybrids offered with this set a bit more. It had significant offset, and as I am one who struggles with a slice, this greatly reduced that problem.

I have hit the mashie irons in a simulator (6-iron only) but not the black irons yet. I love the original mashie hybrids, but struggle with a pull/ hook so not sure about the hybrids in the set. I did see them and they remind me of the bazooka j-max hybrid with more offset. Surprisingly I don't struggle with a hook with the original

I have hit the mashie irons in a simulator (6-iron only) but not the black irons yet. I love the original mashie hybrids, but struggle with a pull/ hook so not sure about the hybrids in the set. I did see them and they remind me of the bazooka j-max hybrid with more offset. Surprisingly I don't struggle with a hook with the original
If you struggle with the hook, the offset in the Mashie hybrids with the set may be a bit of a challenge for you. I would highly suggest trying out the Black irons, you will walk away amazed. Dont let the graphite shafts fool you in them either, they are stout!

If you struggle with the hook, the offset in the Mashie hybrids with the set may be a bit of a challenge for you. I would highly suggest trying out the Black irons, you will walk away amazed. Dont let the graphite shafts fool you in them either, they are stout!

Ware Eagle is exactly right, I fight a hook and when I hit the mashies, it was even worse.

Do occasionally miss my mashie left but surprisingly not as much as with others and most of the time it is very straight. My swing is not as consistent as it needs to be and I get wristy/ handsie with the club and a lot of the time I
think my swing is reacting to what I see. Too much offset I realize I have to compensate

Last edited:
I posted a week or so ago about my experience with the 5h from the Mashie Iron set. I hit it quite well, and loved the distance I saw out of it. It fit right in between my irons and RBZ 3H, and I thought it would be the perfect gap filler for me there. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy this single 5h from the set, so I thought it would be a no go for me. I contacted Blind 9, and told them what I was looking for. They were able to get in touch with Cleveland, and had one shipped to me directly from them! When I posted my thoughts, I talked about the offset on the Mashie 5h, and how to some it may be a turn off. But, I found that I just ignored it and let the club do it's things. Here are some quick pics I took showing the offset I was talking about;
Spoiler
B53D222E.jpg

Spoiler
98804209.jpg

Those look really thick.... Not a fan yet.

You've just been tapatalked by Ford!

WE, I can't see the pics here, but I'm guessing this is a different Mashie than the Mashie+ that are out there?

Yeah man, those look pretty offset ish haha. BUT for most of us the offset assists with getting the ball up in the air. I think its probably the draw bias of the club that assists with the hook for most of us as well.

WE, I can't see the pics here, but I'm guessing this is a different Mashie than the Mashie+ that are out there?
Yes, it is different than the Mashie+. This is the one that comes with the Irons set, and is a 24* loft, where as the Mashie+ 5h is a 26* loft. I believe it has a bit more offset to it over the Mashie+ as well.

Yeah man, those look pretty offset ish haha. BUT for most of us the offset assists with getting the ball up in the air. I think its probably the draw bias of the club that assists with the hook for most of us as well.
Probably so, Yoccos. I tend to slice the ball when getting after a hybrid, and I believe the first time JB handed this to me to hit, his words were "I bet you cant slice it." He was right, and I hit a perfect shot with it.

An old thread but I have a question.

I'm in the market for some new irons, and I am a crappy golfer. So I was interested in these irons since they are suppose to be really forgiving.

For those of you that have them, or have hit them can you list pros and cons and what you think of them.

I would probably go with the 3h-5h, 6-pw set. Since I've really come to like hybrids.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

An old thread but I have a question.

I'm in the market for some new irons, and I am a crappy golfer. So I was interested in these irons since they are suppose to be really forgiving.

For those of you that have them, or have hit them can you list pros and cons and what you think of them.

I would probably go with the 3h-5h, 6-pw set. Since I've really come to like hybrids.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Try them out, sounds like you would like them. The Mashies hybrids and fairwaywoods are bombing, so the irons are probably going to rock your socks!

These intrigue me between the shorter shafts, the ability to get steel shafts through the set and the sole design through the whole set. For those who actually own or have owned these, do you have any follow up on them?

I'm particularly curious about the club gapping. I've played some combined sets from Adams in the past and they had significant gaps from the graphite shafted hybrids to the steel shafted irons. I suspect that would still exist here if you jumped graphite to steel. There's an option though to do all steel (which is appealing to me). If anyone has all steel, do they have evenly dispersed gaps?

Also, should one get the integrated set, or just pick up the irons and try for some 2012 Gilderail+ Mashie hybrids? The lofts on this seem to line up a little better.

Finally, has anyone compared them to the HB3s? I saw a comment that the head's are a little bit smaller. The shafts are a little shorter it seems. Has anyone owned or played both sets?

ryebread I would say that since you didn't like the mashie hybrid 2011 model that you probably wouldn't like the one with this set. It has more offset and the rails don't seem to be like the ones on the mashie.
If you go with a Trilogy 7-wood 21*, you might be able to get by with just gripping down about 3/4 inch on it to get a nice gap before the 27* 6-iron which comes with this set. You could look into the 23* trilogy 4 hybrid as well as I am sure that would give a nice gap also.

how does these irons do on shots missed out towards the toe?
how does the mashie iron compare to the wilson di11 in feel? and is it as forgiving as the wilson di11?

I suspect that they'll be very similar in forgiveness. Both are wide-soled, deep cavity irons. Sorry, but can't help you with feel. I just don't remember.

I just got a set of mashie irons and really like them . I also have a set of the CG16 irons and they are good too. The CG16 are a little to lite for me, I prefer the mashie irons because they are a little heavier and have a shorter shaft also. I may be selling the CG 16,if you are interested let me know.

Back