Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

Agreed
I think the short version of what the two of us are saying here is, we don’t see the sense to changing to a club that isn’t performing better than the one we already have. If it doesn’t do that, we move on from it.
Amen....

On the fence? Let me push you over:

Screenshot_20231104_130544_Chrome.jpg

I agree with you 100%.
ESPECIALLY if you've been fit for the clubs as I was.
If the club head and shaft fit your swing - you should take to them right away.
If I'm not hitting a new set of irons well (for me) within 2 or 3 rounds (along with some practice time) - I go on the assumption they're not right for me.
There's no way I could play worse golf for months as I wait to adjust to new clubs. That would drive me crazy.
But hey, that's me. To each his own.
I think SC Putter got a little mad at me for making this point.

Now I will admit I'm still getting used to the feeling of lighter shafts (70g vs 85g) and as a result the heavier swing weight (D4 to D7) with these Halo's.
But the difference is - I think I'm already hitting them slightly better than my old Apex irons (from a dispersion standpoint)
That's my baseline - and I hope that "growing into the Halo's" means that I'll hit them even more better (lol...such horrible english!) as I get even more used to them.
And I think I would also "grow into them" from the standpoint that as I get older (I'm now 65), the lighter 70g shafts are going to be better for me than the 85g shafts in my old irons.

I agree with you 100%.
ESPECIALLY if you've been fit for the clubs as I was.
If the club head and shaft fit your swing - you should take to them right away.
If I'm not hitting a new set of irons well (for me) within 2 or 3 rounds (along with some practice time) - I go on the assumption they're not right for me.
There's no way I could play worse golf for months as I wait to adjust to new clubs. That would drive me crazy.
But hey, that's me. To each his own.
I think SC Putter got a little mad at me for making this point.

Now I will admit I'm still getting used to the feeling of lighter shafts (70g vs 85g) and as a result the heavier swing weight (D4 to D7) with these Halo's.
But the difference is - I think I'm already hitting them slightly better than my old Apex irons (from a dispersion standpoint)
That's my baseline - and I hope that "growing into the Halo's" means that I'll hit them even more better (lol...such horrible english!) as I get even more used to them.
And I think I would also "grow into them" from the standpoint that as I get older (I'm now 65), the lighter 70g shafts are going to be better for me than the 85g shafts in my old irons.
Mad? Not at all Big E. If it came across that way it certainly wasn't intentional. I'm an easy going fellow. LOL.

Agreed
I think the short version of what the two of us are saying here is, we don’t see the sense to changing to a club that isn’t performing better than the one we already have. If it doesn’t do that, we move on from it.
I have to admit I have been slow to adjust as I moved from ZX4 regular steel to 50g graphite Sr flex with the Halos. Big change but long term best for me. I was also experimenting with a set of G700s mixed in. It was an itch I had to scratch. The ball flight and distance were good (6,7,8) but feel in the short irons was harsh. Played with Halos this morning and confidence is growing. Good ball flight and straight. Maybe not as long but that is a trade off. The short irons work for me. Bottom line, for now I am going to move forward with the Halos as they are meeting my expectation. Getting old sucks but I plan to keep swinging for a long time. Halos, shovels, whatever. I love this game.

I haven't been hitting my 6i very well lately so before my rd yesterday I got a small bucket. After warming up I hit 3 balls with my 6i and then 3 balls with an HB Turbo 6i I brought along. While not it's the Halo, it's the prior gen and plays similarly to the Halo for me.
I hit it better on the range than my 6i, so I threw it in the bag.

Used it on a layup on a par 5, went right down the middle and my intended yardage to leave me 100 yds into the green.

Next hole was a par 3 playing into the wind. I hit the 6i and it landed 2' to the side of the pin. left me with a great birdie look but left the putt dead in the heart short, doh.

10th hole I had a bad lie next to a tree, ball above my feet. Hit kind of a lower punch type shot with the 6i and it hit the green and stopped dead for an easy 2 putt par.

18th hole, hit a nice drive then needed to hit a layup shot back over the ravine. Hit a nice high draw with the 6i that went 158 yds and left me 100 yds in.

Have always enjoyed the Cleveland hybrid iron in that 6i slot.

I have to admit I have been slow to adjust as I moved from ZX4 regular steel to 50g graphite Sr flex with the Halos. Big change but long term best for me. I was also experimenting with a set of G700s mixed in. It was an itch I had to scratch. The ball flight and distance were good (6,7,8) but feel in the short irons was harsh. Played with Halos this morning and confidence is growing. Good ball flight and straight. Maybe not as long but that is a trade off. The short irons work for me. Bottom line, for now I am going to move forward with the Halos as they are meeting my expectation. Getting old sucks but I plan to keep swinging for a long time. Halos, shovels, whatever. I love this game.
SC, you and I have talked via DM a lot about this. Stick with ‘em, but when the urge hits and you want to try something else, why the hell not? Scratch those itches my friend.

Wow. That's a huge change. Probably 100g+ steel shafts to 50g graphite shafts.
I can see where that would take some getting used to.
What inspired such a dramatic change?
Why not 70g shafts or there about?
I'm just curious (although it seems to be now working out for you).
E

My bad then.
Sometimes it can be hard to interpret tone and intent from the written word.
My apologies!
You are correct. No apology necessary Big E. Have a good evening. Onward and upward.

SC, you and I have talked via DM a lot about this. Stick with ‘em, but when the urge hits and you want to try something else, why the hell not? Scratch those itches my friend.
I plan to follow that advice. Sometimes you just have to scratch. LOL

I’m gonna TRY hold off till 1st of year and get a set…… they’re just stupid easy! Which set has yet to be determined!
If you need a custom order you might want to order soon. My guess is with the new line coming out these won’t be orderable for very long

Wow. That's a huge change. Probably 100g+ steel shafts to 50g graphite shafts.
I can see where that would take some getting used to.
What inspired such a dramatic change?
Why not 70g shafts or there about?
I'm just curious (although it seems to be now working out for you).
E
It is a big change. The ZXX4 had the Neo shaft and I think it was 90g. The G700s have 65g shafts and no problem handling those either. I have been a mid flight trajectory most of my life and got away with it. I have a compact swing with usually smooth tempo but found myself trying to muscle it more and more with the irons. Now 68 and needed higher flight / more carry and thought why not give graphite a try with Sr flex. For me mentally, the Halos help promote a better tempo for my game. Has it been an adjustment? Absolutely, but feel like I'm finally getting there. An oddly enough some of the lost distance is coming back. Settling in--maybe but like to think the shaft and flex change is paying off. I'm more confident and comfortable with my iron play. The Halos for me are easy to hit and straight. Back out tomorrow for another round with reasonable expectations.

If you need a custom order you might want to order soon. My guess is with the new line coming out these won’t be orderable for very long
On the fence on which set brand wise….. TM, Cleveland, W/S, might give the T Rails another shot as well. Most likely be steel shafts this go round as well. I love the Px and Cleveland offers it in the 5.0😁

Don’t have the Halos but a very similar club in Tour Edge, also picked up an old set of similar Cleveland’s and for some reason just can’t get used to the look at address. Was trying to make myself be able to play them, similar clubs at each place. Got to Fl this week and put an old set of Cobra’s in the bag and played the best in months. Mental block I guess. That’s two experiments gone wrong this year, tried a putter earlier in the year that just couldn’t make work. Do understand that it’s operator error, everyone else that has hit my Tour Edge hybrid irons thinks they are great.

Don’t have the Halos but a very similar club in Tour Edge, also picked up an old set of similar Cleveland’s and for some reason just can’t get used to the look at address. Was trying to make myself be able to play them, similar clubs at each place. Got to Fl this week and put an old set of Cobra’s in the bag and played the best in months. Mental block I guess. That’s two experiments gone wrong this year, tried a putter earlier in the year that just couldn’t make work. Do understand that it’s operator error, everyone else that has hit my Tour Edge hybrid irons thinks they are great.
Different strokes for different folks, GG.
If they worked for everyone, everyone would be playing them.

It is a big change. The ZXX4 had the Neo shaft and I think it was 90g. The G700s have 65g shafts and no problem handling those either. I have been a mid flight trajectory most of my life and got away with it. I have a compact swing with usually smooth tempo but found myself trying to muscle it more and more with the irons. Now 68 and needed higher flight / more carry and thought why not give graphite a try with Sr flex. For me mentally, the Halos help promote a better tempo for my game. Has it been an adjustment? Absolutely, but feel like I'm finally getting there. An oddly enough some of the lost distance is coming back. Settling in--maybe but like to think the shaft and flex change is paying off. I'm more confident and comfortable with my iron play. The Halos for me are easy to hit and straight. Back out tomorrow for another round with reasonable expectations.
At 65, no doubt I'm on my way to 50g shafts too.
But I think that's probably a few years away for me (my driver swing speed is still in the 90-92 mph range).
One of my reasons for moving off my 85g Paderson shafts was that I too could feel they were beginning to be a little work to move.
I wanted to be smoother with my tempo.
Hopefully these 70g shafts will do the trick for the next few years.

But I think that's probably a few years away for me (my driver swing speed is still in the 90-92 mph range).
One of my reasons for moving off my 85g Paderson shafts was that I too could feel they were beginning to be a little work to move.
Assuming @SC Putter has the stock shafts in his Halos, they’d weigh in at 59 grams.
The Cyphers are 59g in A, 60 in R and 61 in S. I’ve hit all 3 and at least with the Halos, I wasn able to tell the difference between the A and the R. In fact if you put the S in my bag without telling me I probably wouldn’t know you did.

Assuming @SC Putter has the stock shafts in his Halos, they’d weigh in at 59 grams.
The Cyphers are 59g in A, 60 in R and 61 in S. I’ve hit all 3 and at least with the Halos, I wasn able to tell the difference between the A and the R. In fact if you put the S in my bag without telling me I probably wouldn’t know you did.
I have the Cyphers in Sr flex A. I guess they are 59g.

Good luck with them, I'm sure they will work fine. These are my first graphite shafted irons so I'm still finding my way after being in steel for a long time.

I’m heading up to Long Island this Wednesday and I’m thinking about bringing my shiny new set of Halos back down with me after the Christmas holiday. I bought them a few months ago because at $475 new for 5-DW why not, but had no intention of gaming them for a while.
Then I hit my buddy’s set the other day at our range, and they are just so much fun to whack around. It’s crazy how much higher they go than most irons.
The distance doesn’t blow you away, but loft for loft they hang with anything else out there. If the PW and DW had just a little more pop (they’re both about 5-10 yards short of my gamers) these would be ideal. I’m hoping that with some get to know you time, I can get the 2 wedges going the numbers I want. I think a lot of it is me just not being comfortable looking down at a hybrid-ish(?) wedge.

I’m heading up to Long Island this Wednesday and I’m thinking about bringing my shiny new set of Halos back down with me after the Christmas holiday. I bought them a few months ago because at $475 new for 5-DW why not, but had no intention of gaming them for a while.
Then I hit my buddy’s set the other day at our range, and they are just so much fun to whack around. It’s crazy how much higher they go than most irons.
The distance doesn’t blow you away, but loft for loft they hang with anything else out there. If the PW and DW had just a little more pop (they’re both about 5-10 yards short of my gamers) these would be ideal. I’m hoping that with some get to know you time, I can get the 2 wedges going the numbers I want. I think a lot of it is me just not being comfortable looking down at a hybrid-ish(?) wedge.

Where do you play the ball in your stance with the Pw and DW ?

Where do you play the ball in your stance with the Pw and DW ?
about a ball back of center?
I think it’s more loft related than anything else. My set goes 42*, 46* I think the Halos are 44*, 49.5*

I’m curious if anyone has tried mixing the Launcher XLs into their set of Halos?
I’m thinking about doing it with the PW and DW. The lofts seem to match up nicely in 4* increments. 🤔

Back