Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

Why are you playing and testing SGI irons with all that speed and distance you have? You’re almost hitting the BB’s too far, and the Halos don’t seem like a good match for you.
Did the fitter at CC recommend them?
I hit the Wilson DYNAPWR 10 yards further than the Big Berthas.

Can I ask how many, if any bad shots were removed from the charts you posted?
2 I think? One ball didn’t read and one really terrible shot

What shaft was this?

Does the hollow feel bother you at all?
Mitsubishi Chemical MMT 125 TX. No, hollow clubs don't bother me. I am not a huge looks/feel person. Just data only. Big Berthas felt fine to me.

I have had my Halos for all this season and rather enjoy them - always have hit down and thru with my irons taking fair size divots but since I am getting older (71) it does cause more stress on my body - started using 7 - 9 and 11 woods this year as I can sweep them - so here is my question - yesterday I started sweeping the ball with my 7-8 -9 -PW Halo clubs as they have a very wide sole and I hit them even better than when I use my normal iron swing - they went higher and less chance of a thin or fat shot - anyone else use a more sweeping swing with their Halo irons?

I have had my Halos for all this season and rather enjoy them - always have hit down and thru with my irons taking fair size divots but since I am getting older (71) it does cause more stress on my body - started using 7 - 9 and 11 woods this year as I can sweep them - so here is my question - yesterday I started sweeping the ball with my 7-8 -9 -PW Halo clubs as they have a very wide sole and I hit them even better than when I use my normal iron swing - they went higher and less chance of a thin or fat shot - anyone else use a more sweeping swing with their Halo irons?

I think sweeping is the way to go. But, they are so forgiving, I imagine a digger can have sucess with them, too.

Also, I just realized, these play better when you embrace a draw. I think they are draw biased in general. But, I ordered them + 1/2 inch and they are upright and a draw works best.

I think the majority of folks who struggle with the whole hitting down with irons love the Halos. The COG is so low you will get the necessary spin by just sweeping at them.

I think sweeping is the way to go. But, they are so forgiving, I imagine a digger can have sucess with them, too.
Also, I just realized, these play better when you embrace a draw. I think they are draw biased in general. But, I ordered them + 1/2 inch and they are upright and a draw works best.
I agree about the sweeping swing for the Halos but that is more my natural swing. I tried hitting down with them with reasonable success but my primary challenge has been to let the club do the work. Nice even tempo swing and presto!

I think the majority of folks who struggle with the whole hitting down with irons love the Halos. The COG is so low you will get the necessary spin by just sweeping at them.
Played for the first time in 3 weeks today with the XL Halos. I am finally settling in with these irons. So easy to hit when I allow the club to do the work. You were correct that it takes some time, I am now seeing results. Wish they had more distance but they are straight and forgiving.

Just picked up my new Halo Launcher irons this morning (from Club Champion)
Heading over to the Sim this afternoon to get an indoors round in with them (outdoor golf season is over here in Upstate NY).
Can't wait to see how they play!
So…. Wadda ya think?

Just picked up my new Halo Launcher irons this morning (from Club Champion)
Heading over to the Sim this afternoon to get an indoors round in with them (outdoor golf season is over here in Upstate NY).
Can't wait to see how they play!
Waiting GIF
:)

So…. Wadda ya think?
I really like them so far.
My first impression (after only one indoor Sim round) is that they're not any longer than my Apex DCB's - but I think I'm getting better dispersion.
Plus, they were fitted with 70g graphite shafts versus my current 85g shafts - so they feel easier to swing.
I find the big heads inspire a lot of confidence too.
And last but not least, I like how they feel and sound with a good hit.
So far, so good.
Overall, I'm excited to see how they play over the winter!

Last edited:
My first impression (after only one indoor Sim round) is that they're not any longer than my Apex DCB's - but I think I'm getting better dispersion.
Plus, they were fitted with 70g graphite shafts versus my current 85g shafts - so they feel easier to swing.
So far, so good.
So funny… I have the DCBs and Halos also!
Quite a difference looking down at the hybrid heads though, huh?
I agree with you about the distance being the same btw, and the DCBs have stronger lofts. I actually like the feel of the Halos better, and just wait until you see how easy to use they are around the greens… it’s almost like cheating. 😉
Enjoy your new set, and keep us updated as you play ‘em!

So far, so good.
Which shaft were you fitted into with the Halos?

So funny… I have the DCBs and Halos also!
Quite a difference looking down at the hybrid heads though, huh?
I agree with you about the distance being the same btw, and the DCBs have stronger lofts. I actually like the feel of the Halos better, and just wait until you see how easy to use they are around the greens… it’s almost like cheating. 😉
Enjoy your new set, and keep us updated as you play ‘em!
Yes. A big difference in the heads. But as I said, the bigger Halo heads actually boost my confidence. They feel impossible to sh**nk!
And btw, my DCB's and the Halo's have the exact same loft (7i-30*, 8i-34*, 9i-38*, PW-43*)
Are you sure yours have a different loft?

As a 9 handicap, I was told by one of my golf coaches that I was too good for these clubs.
But on the other hand, he was fascinated by them (he's 70 yrs old himself).
So he wants me to keep him posted as to how they work out.
I did a lot of research on these clubs and found a number of low handicap golfers who swear by them.
That was good enough for me.

I'll use the winter and Sim golf to continue to evaluate them.
But at 65 yrs old - I think they're the clubs I would've eventually settled on anyways.
I'm just getting there a little bit earlier than I planned!

Yes. A big difference in the heads. But as I said, the bigger Halo heads actually boost my confidence. They feel impossible to sh**nk!
And btw, my DCB's and the Halo's have the exact same loft (7i-30*, 8i-34*, 9i-38*, PW-43*)

As a 9 handicap, I was told by one of my golf coaches that I was too good for these clubs.
But on the other hand, he was fascinated by them (he's 70 yrs old himself).
So he wants me to keep him posted as to how they work out.
I did a lot of research on these clubs and found a number of low handicap golfers who swear by them.
That was good enough for me.

I'll use the winter and Sim golf to continue to evaluate them.
But at 65 yrs old - I think they're the clubs I would've eventually settled on anyways.
I'm just getting there a little bit earlier than I planned!
Trust me. As a Sr golfer myself, you will grow into them.

....I agree with you about the distance being the same btw, and the DCBs have stronger lofts. I actually like the feel of the Halos better, and just wait until you see how easy to use they are around the greens… it’s almost like cheating. 😉

Oops....upon further review....you're right. The Apex DCB's have slightly stronger lofts.
Apex: 7i - 30*, 8i - 34*, 9i - 38*
Halo's: 7i - 30*, 8i - 34.5*, 9i - 39*

Oops....upon further review....you're right. The Apex DCB's have slightly stronger lofts.
Apex: 7i - 30*, 8i - 34*, 9i - 38*
Halo's: 7i - 30*, 8i - 34.5*, 9i - 39*
The wedges though are a little more, especially in the gap wedge. For example the Halo PW DW are 44, 49.5 and the DCB is 43, 48. The Halo shafts are a bit longer also I think. Not really a big deal though.

Trust me. As a Sr golfer myself, you will grow into them.
I’ve never really agreed with that theory. I don’t get the big mystery with these things, other than the look at set up, and that’s an “either you‘re okay with it or not type of thing”.
You’ve tallked a lot here about how it took you about a season to get comfortable with these irons. I think you were an outlier in regard to that, because you needed time to convince yourself the Senior shafts and build you chose was right for you.
Honestly, I don’t think many other people would be willing to take that long to adjust to a set of irons. Maybe I’m wrong though? 🤷‍♂️

The wedges though are a little more, especially in the gap wedge. For example the Halo PW DW are 44, 49.5 and the DCB is 43, 48. The Halo shafts are a bit longer also I think. Not really a big deal though.

Yep, you're right about the wedges too.
In fact, I had my Halo DW bent to 48* so that it would gap better with my Callaway CB wedges (52*, 56* and 60*)
However, the shafts I put in my Halo's are the exact same length as the ones in my DCB's.
So my Halo's aren't quite as different from my Apex's as yours.
But your original point is a good one.

Last edited:
I’ve never really agreed with that theory. I don’t get the big mystery with these things, other than the look at set up, and that’s an “either you‘re okay with it or not type of thing”.
You’ve tallked a lot here about how it took you about a season to get comfortable with these irons. I think you were an outlier in regard to that, because you needed time to convince yourself the Senior shafts and build you chose was right for you.
Honestly, I don’t think many other people would be willing to take that long to adjust to a set of irons. Maybe I’m wrong though? 🤷‍♂️

I agree with you 100%.
ESPECIALLY if you've been fit for the clubs as I was.
If the club head and shaft fit your swing - you should take to them right away.
If I'm not hitting a new set of irons well (for me) within 2 or 3 rounds (along with some practice time) - I go on the assumption they're not right for me.
There's no way I could play worse golf for months as I wait to adjust to new clubs. That would drive me crazy.
But hey, that's me. To each his own.
I think SC Putter got a little mad at me for making this point.

Now I will admit I'm still getting used to the feeling of lighter shafts (70g vs 85g) and as a result the heavier swing weight (D4 to D7) with these Halo's.
But the difference is - I think I'm already hitting them slightly better than my old Apex irons (from a dispersion standpoint)
That's my baseline - and I hope that "growing into the Halo's" means that I'll hit them even more better (lol...such horrible english!) as I get even more used to them.
And I think I would also "grow into them" from the standpoint that as I get older (I'm now 65), the lighter 70g shafts are going to be better for me than the 85g shafts in my old irons.

I agree with you 100%.
ESPECIALLY if you've been fit for the clubs as I was.
If the club head and shaft fit your swing - you should take to them right away.
If I'm not hitting a new set of irons well (for me) within 2 or 3 rounds (along with some practice time) - I go on the assumption they're not right for me.
There's no way I could play worse golf for months as I wait to adjust to new clubs. That would drive me crazy.
But hey, that's me. To each his own.
I think SC Putter got a little mad at me for making this point.

Now I will admit I'm still getting used to the feeling of lighter shafts (70g vs 85g) and as a result the heavier swing weight (D4 to D7) with these Halo's.
But the difference is - I think I'm already hitting them slightly better than my old Apex irons (from a dispersion standpoint)
That's my baseline - and I hope that "growing into the Halo's" means that I'll hit them even more better (lol...such horrible english!) as I get even more used to them.
And I think I would also "grow into them" from the standpoint that as I get older (I'm now 65), the lighter 70g shafts are going to be better for me than the 85g shafts in my old irons.
Agreed
I think the short version of what the two of us are saying here is, we don’t see the sense to changing to a club that isn’t performing better than the one we already have. If it doesn’t do that, we move on from it.

Last edited:
Back