Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

I played these today… it was a disaster. 😢
Pulled my shot every time I tried to swing hard, and I couldn’t hit a shot with a low to mid trajectory at all.
Distance was fine though, 😂

Last edited:
I think there's an adjustment period with these, if you have been using a traditional iron.
To be fair, my entire game was a mess. I’m up on Long Island visiting, and the rough was higher and a lot more lush than I’m used to down in Myrtle Beach. That’s not a very valid excuse though, because my driver is my strong suit and I had one of my worst days ever with that club also.
When a 12 cap shoots a 98 from the whites, he can’t blame it all on his irons… 😂

I think there's an adjustment period with these, if you have been using a traditional iron.
I agree with Carolina golfer as he told me this early and said it would take some time to adjust especially with the sr flex. When I try to swing hard the result is never good. I'm adjusting but it is work in progress.

I played these today… it was a disaster. 😢
Pulled my shot every time I tried to swing hard, and I couldn’t hit a shot with a low to mid trajectory at all.
Distance was fine though, 😂
I believe they are a bit upright which may lead to a pull for some but an anti-slicer for others.
I don't know your SS mine is the 85s but when I had A flex the tip was way to lively. The regular was much better.

I wouldn't sleep on the XL irons either as the long irons are hollow for maximum forgiveness while the short irons are cavity back for precision and feel and have higher MOI than the Halos.

I believe they are a bit upright which may lead to a pull for some

Bring upright has nothing to do with a pull though. A pull is a result of a path issue (coming too far outside to in as you pass through the impact zone).

Usually this is a result of an over the top move at transition.

Now if the ball is also hooking (pull hook) then it could be because the lie is too upright.

Bring upright has nothing to do with a pull though. A pull is a result of a path issue (coming too far outside to in as you pass through the impact zone).

Now if the ball is also hooking (pull hook) then it could be because the lie is too upright.
That's funny because I just had a free Club Champion fitting last week and the fitter looked at my Halos and said those more upright lie angles can cause pulls. Basically, the heel may be making too much ground contact and closing the face.

So it's important to have your lie angle correct before looking into swing paths and OTT swings which also can lead to a pull. Heck even overly active hips can lead to a pull.

I find most hybrids have an above-average upright lie and that's why so maybe folks complain about hybrids being hook machines.

My swing was a complete mess that day. I had terrible swings with my other clubs also, so I’m giving the Halos a pass.
When I saw the price of $475 for 5-DW I knew I’d never get a better price new.
I had no intention of making them my gamers right away. I simply couldn’t resist having a set of these in reserve.

That's funny because I just had a free Club Champion fitting last week and the fitter looked at my Halos and said those more upright lie angles can cause pulls. Basically, the heel may be making too much ground contact and closing the face.

So it's important to have your lie angle correct before looking into swing paths and OTT swings which also can lead to a pull. Heck even overly active hips can lead to a pull.

I find most hybrids have an above-average upright lie and that's why so maybe folks complain about hybrids being hook machines.
I just can't see 1* more upright (than most irons) making the heel dig into the ground. But we can agree to disagree. Now if you are a 4* flat lie player and the Halos being 1* more upright than most, then maybe there could a path issue caused, but I would still think it would result more in a hook than a pull.

As for your last sentence. spot on... "hook"s like you said. but not pulls. Just my 2 cents

Been looking at these clubs for a year after having some good success with a Callaway 9 and 11 wood. Finally bit the bullet and am having a set built for me. It was becoming an itch I needed to scratch!
They take some an adjustment period but I think you will like them.

They take some an adjustment period but I think you will like them.
I hit them well at two different fittings - so I don't believe there will be an adjustment period.
Plus, I'm not a believer in "adjustment" time anyways (especially if you've been fit to the clubs)
If the club head and shaft fit your swing - I think you should be hitting them well right out of the gate.
At least that's been my experience in all my prior purchases.
The clubs that go in my bag I hit well from the get go.
The clubs I don't hit well at the start I get rid of!

Do I understand correctly that Halo irons have a counterweight in the grip end of the shaft? If so, I assume that using Shot Scope sensors which screw in to the grips is a non-starter, correct?

I hit them well at two different fittings - so I don't believe there will be an adjustment period.
Plus, I'm not a believer in "adjustment" time anyways (especially if you've been fit to the clubs)
If the club head and shaft fit your swing - I think you should be hitting them well right out of the gate.
At least that's been my experience in all my prior purchases.
The clubs that go in my bag I hit well from the get go.
The clubs I don't hit well at the start I get rid of!
Have a nice day

Do I understand correctly that Halo irons have a counterweight in the grip end of the shaft? If so, I assume that using Shot Scope sensors which screw in to the grips is a non-starter, correct?
The regular build has an 8g counter weight in the end of the grip. The accuracy build is 1/2" shorter and does not have the counter weight. You can glue the SS sensor to the end of the grip. People have done that on their putters with counter weights.

So I was goofing around today in the local PGASS hitting a few different irons trying to sort out this funk I’m in with my swing. Didn’t happen… 🙄
What did happen was I realized the Halos weren’t the problem last week when I shot my highest score of the year. That was the only round I‘ve gamed them, and even though I mentioned here I struggled with all my clubs, they were the newbies, and it left a sour taste in my mouth.
At first I only brought in the Halo 7i, but after seeing how well it compared to the others forgiveness wise, I went to the car and brought in the rest of my 5-DW set.
The 6-DW are really solid, but the 5i kinda bunches up with the 6i distance wise, and I’m not sure about the DW on full swings, but love it with pitch shots and chips.
My average 6i carry was152 but the 5i only got 160 when I hit it perfectly (which wasn’t often). I’m going to put my Rogue ST 5H in the bag instead as that gives me about 165 with an average hit.

The thing I found out about the Halos though, is when I’m in a funk they’re going to get me through it better than anything else, so I might as well game them for a while and see what happens.

Last edited:

I have the stock build with the counterbalance weights. Just a slight gap between the SS sensors and end of grips. No biggy.

Amazon has a great deal on LH GBB ‘23 hybrids. I picked up a 5H for $112 and a 6H for $108. I still have the 4H in my cart, but they want $175 for it (still $75 cheaper than everywhere else) but I want to see how I like the other two first.
If they work out my plan is to use the Rogue ST 4 and 5H with the Halo 6-DW and use the 5H&6H when I play my E722’s. If they don’t I can get $150 apiece in trade for them from Callaway… $80 profit.

Last edited:
After getting fit yesterday at Club Champion, I definitely need to reshaft these clubs.
IMG_0503.png

After getting fit yesterday at Club Champion, I definitely need to reshaft these clubs.
View attachment 9213691
Jeez, it looks like you were hitting 3 different clubs! 🙄
I’m having a similar issue (but nowhere near as much) so I‘ve been thinking the same thing with mine.
Right now I’m hoping I’m in a “adjustment phase” with the Cypher.

Last edited:
Jeez, it looks like you were hitting 3 different clubs! 🙄
I’m having a similar issue (but nowhere near as much) so I‘ve been thinking the same thing with mine.
Right now I’m hoping I’m in a “adjustment phase” with the Cypher.
These have me the best numbers.
IMG_0502.png

These have me the best numbers.
View attachment 9213707
Why are you playing and testing SGI irons with all that speed and distance you have? You’re almost hitting the BB’s too far, and the Halos don’t seem like a good match for you.
Did the fitter at CC recommend them?

Why are you playing and testing SGI irons with all that speed and distance you have? You’re almost hitting the BB’s too far, and the Halos don’t seem like a good match for you.
Did the fitter at CC recommend them?
I Suck Big Head GIF by Silicon Valley

Back