Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

I’m curious if anyone has tried mixing the Launcher XLs into their set of Halos?
I’m thinking about doing it with the PW and DW. The lofts seem to match up nicely in 4* increments. 🤔
I've had both sets and the XL has a hotter face and higher MOI. I would've kept the XL's but the heads were just awkwardly long.

I'm excited to see what Cleveland drops in 2024.

I've had both sets and the XL has a hotter face and higher MOI. I would've kept the XL's but the heads were just awkwardly long.

I'm excited to see what Cleveland drops in 2024.
Yeah, I actually placed an order today for the XL DW width a Cypher 50 shaft instead of the stock Catalyst, but then canceled it an hour later for that reason. If the Halo DW doesn’t work out, I’ll look to replace it with either a 48 or 50* Glide or CBX.
Do you still play the Halos?

I w
Yeah, I actually placed an order today for the XL DW width a Cypher 50 shaft instead of the stock Catalyst, but then canceled it an hour later for that reason. If the Halo DW doesn’t work out, I’ll look to replace it with either a 48 or 50* Glide or CBX.
Do you still play the Halos?
I wanted to order a full set with the Project X Cypher shafts as the stock Catalysis shafts were low-mid launch and I was having trouble holding greens.

They’re fantastic irons and have all the tech as the Srixon mx 4 Mk ll but at a fraction of the cost.

One other caveat is centering the ball on such long heads became a little tedious.

I don't blame you for trying to replace the wedges as that was one of my gripes about the Halos, I just couldn't get a good feel on chips with them because of the Hollow head.

I have the Stealth HD right now and although they have more feel to them chipping with the wedges has been a challenge. I myself was thinking of adding the regular Stealths in the PW and GW slots.

|
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Yesterday I was messing around at TGW and was hitting most of the clubs and I got to say these irons were amazing. I was shocked they were so easy to hit and they were 2nd in distance. Not what I expected at all.

|
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Yesterday I was messing around at TGW and was hitting most of the clubs and I got to say these irons were amazing. I was shocked they were so easy to hit and they were 2nd in distance. Not what I expected at all.
Reminded me of this video where the tester never hit a hybrid iron before and was surprised by the results:

Reminded me of this video where the tester never hit a hybrid iron before and was surprised by the results:

The irony is I don't hit my Hybrids that well but these just launched.

I’m either re-shafting my Halos or going a new direction in 2024. The new Cleveland irons look tremendous!

I can’t wait to get back down south after Christmas and finally put my set of Halos into play. They’ve been sitting patiently waiting to get off the bench and into the starting lineup!

New Halos 1/8/24?

Guessing Launcher Halo Full Face and Launcher XL Zipcore irons.
I’ve seen the Zipcore irons, nothing yet though with the Halo full face. Does that other place have any pics?

Guessing Launcher Halo Full Face and Launcher XL Zipcore irons.
Wouldn't the full face just add more spin?

They would sit nice with my full-face CBX wedges.

i’m not buying into the idea of full face irons, sorry.
I know they’re going to sell, because the Halos have gotten a nice following through the years, but imo the thing they needed to address was their distance. Not the grooves.

I’ve seen the Zipcore irons, nothing yet though with the Halo full face. Does that other place have any pics?
Only pics I have seen of the Halo FF were off some marketplace/Craig's list type site where somebody sold their demo kit.

I know they’re going to sell, because the Halos have gotten a nice following through the years, but imo the thing they needed to address was their distance. Not the grooves.
I think the thought process of adding the full face grooves is for consistency across the face. Especially given the type of golfer these are normally aimed at...ie. Cleveland probably sees in their testing that Halo users tend to use alot of the face :)

I think the thought process of adding the full face grooves is for consistency across the face. Especially given the type of golfer these are normally aimed at...ie. Cleveland probably sees in their testing that Halo users tend to use alot of the face :)
Yeah, I get the theory, it just doesn’t move the needle for me. I’m not sure about how popular it’s been with their wedges either. The CBX full face version were selling online a lot cheaper than the standard version for a long time this year. You could get them new from $99 all summer, while the CBX Zipcore held their retail value pretty well until late autumn.

How do they compare distance-wise to the TM Stealth HDs?

How do they compare distance-wise to the TM Stealth HDs?
Every review I’ve seen the Halos perform better, but then again the guys who do the testing are hitting the 7 irons something along the lines of 172 vs 175, so I don’t pay them much mind.
We’re not “those guys” 😂

I can’t wait to get back down south after Christmas and finally put my set of Halos into play. They’ve been sitting patiently waiting to get off the bench and into the starting lineup!
So I finally got to put these in play this week. First time was in a Scramble on Tuesday with the 6-DW, and they performed very well, so I put them in the bag again for a money game on Thursday. They were even better the second time, probably because I had a better feel for them?
Two things jumped out at me.. I made a smart move getting the lofts strengthened 1&2 degrees respectively on the PW and DW. The 4* gaps between them and my 9i are perfect, and my issues with the DW’s distance is gone. In fact, I’m loving it. It’s money around the greens!
I’m honestly surprised at how much I’m liking these now, as I’ve struggled with this type of set before. I only put them in the bag because it‘s been very wet down here this week, and I thought this was as good a time as any to give them a go. If they perform the same way tomorrow, they will probably stay in for the long term.

Last edited:
@Carolina Golfer i noticed you mentioned in another thread how disappointed you were with their trade in value. Are you moving on from them?
If so, what to?

@Carolina Golfer i noticed you mentioned in another thread how disappointed you were with their trade in value. Are you moving on from them?
If so, what to?

Good question. I was thinking of upgrading to the new Halo XL irons. But, the trade in value is so low ($217.00 for 7 clubs at Golf Galaxy), I haven't decided yet.

I realize the retailers need to make money. Also, they must get stuck with a lot of clubs that never sell.

Good question. I was thinking of upgrading to the new Halo XL irons. But, the trade in value is so low ($217.00 for 7 clubs at Golf Galaxy), I haven't decided yet.

I realize the retailers need to make money. Also, they must get stuck with a lot of clubs that never sell.
Stay with what you have, my friend. The difference in performance is minimal. It’s not worth the cost.

That's why I learned the hard way to buy clubs that are a year or two old. New clubs are like a new car once you drive it off the lot it loses so much value.

The only difference I see is a bump in MOI because they're longer and the full face for those odd times you hit it way out there on the toe.

I started playing golf about 4 years ago with a package set. After a few months of playing I thought about getting fitted for some new irons and asked my coach about the Launcher HB Turbo Irons. He recommended against them partly because of resale value (why did I listen to him you may well ask!). I ended up with some Big Berthas that never worked for me.

2 years later I went for another fitting for clubs with Graphite shafts (Tennis elbow pushed me down this route) and the fitter guided me away from the HB Launchers again saying I'd hit them too high.

A year later I had an excellent fitting for some G425s and have been happy with them. However, the hybrid iron idea has been nagging at me and a couple of recent youtube videos (Mark Crossfield and Alex Elliott) prompted me to try the Launcher XL Halo 7 iron demo at my local club. It worked well on the range so I thought I'd grab a set of the outgoing model (£385 for 6-PW was a bit of a bargain). At least then I would know!!!

I've played two rounds with them - FANTASTIC!!!! In both rounds I've won competitions with 43 and 45 points!!. There are obviously other things going on and lessons are helping my swing. However, I was able to compare strokes gained with the Launcher XL Halos to my Ping G425s from my shotscope data. It seems that the Launchers are gaining 3 strokes compared to the previous two rounds with the G425s (I scored 39 points for both these rounds) and I have recorded my two best ever scores despite the current muddy conditions in the UK.

Oh, and the 8 iron is amazing for chip and runs. I had 6 up and downs from 8 iron chip and runs and one was holed from 20yds.

In know it's only 2 rounds but, for me as a high handicapper (19) , they seem to work. I wish I'd given them a go before and ignored the advice from coach and fitter.

Back