Update on dumping my Volt while on riding cart….

Like the old Timex watch commercial, the Volt takes a licking keeps on ticking!

This morning I cleaned up the road rash, sanded the scraped area and cleaned a piece of sand that was making the controller knob stick. Fired it up and everything seems to work. My Volt will no longer win a beauty contest but survived my screwup.

Note: If you decide to walk the front nine and ride on the back nine, just remove the front wheel. The back wheels sit on the passenger side floor and the front wheel area braces against the passenger side seat.
Glad to hear it only has developed character.

Hi there

IMG_0531.jpeg

I've been following the posts here and TBH the product sounds like it is not well designed. I know you folks have invested in it, therefore no need to defend your purchase. I just caution that those considering the BB Volt and reading this thread will look elsewhere. I mean, it has to be exhausting to worry about the cart during a golf during a round.

The point of an electric caddie is to make the walking experience more enjoyable. Ideally, you would get both physical and mental relief during your round - allowing you to focus on the golf and be more present.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You do not have to keep putting down another product to make the product you bought look better. You prefer what you bought and that is great for you. There is a lot of good reviews going on in here that list positives and negatives.

Yeah, I have been trying to be careful. I just stopped being vigilant for a moment during my round today while doing down a slope. I think I am just going to have to have a mental rule that anytime I am going up or down slopes, my hand needs to be on the handles. I think part of my issue is that I had been using the MGI Zip for almost 5 years. It was like a tank going up and down slopes. The Volt has many advantage over the Zip, but it definitely is not as stable.
@Tenputt not that you've had it a few rounds.......Are you still ok with the up and down slopes of our state courses? The battery still holds up good with the elevation changes on these courses? The only issue you are finding is the stability?

@Tenputt not that you've had it a few rounds.......Are you still ok with the up and down slopes of our state courses? The battery still holds up good with the elevation changes on these courses? The only issue you are finding is the stability?
Battery is totally good. The only issue I have at all is stability on hillsides.

Stability is the biggest complaint that I've been hearing online.
Rear wheels are spaced too narrow, combined with the 3 wheel design............makes it very tippy and unstable.

You do not have to keep putting down another product to make the product you bought look better. You prefer what you bought and that is great for you. There is a lot of good reviews going on in here that list positives and negatives.

That was not my intent. It matters not what others think about the cart I use, I get nothing for it. I am merely observing this thread and find it interesting that folks are willing to overlook the flaws described.

Sometimes folks are loyal to the brand and sometimes the brand does not live up to the expectations - it happens. Personally, the brand is big and I would be getting a refund and spend my hard earned dollars elsewhere. To each his own, do not get too offended.

Stability is the biggest complaint that I've been hearing online.
Rear wheels are spaced too narrow, combined with the 3 wheel design............makes it very tippy and unstable.
Not wrong but you can manage it. Compact size, easy to fold/unfold, lighter weight, abundant storage, great manual mode are the positives. Like Tenputt, I had over 300 rounds, 1,700 miles on the MGI ZIP Navigator AT. It is a tank. More stable, better remote and gyro tracking. But I do not regret buying the Volt. It is well made and fun.

Update on dumping my Volt while on riding cart….

Like the old Timex watch commercial, the Volt takes a licking keeps on ticking!

This morning I cleaned up the road rash, sanded the scraped area and cleaned a piece of sand that was making the controller knob stick. Fired it up and everything seems to work. My Volt will no longer win a beauty contest but survived my screwup.

Note: If you decide to walk the front nine and ride on the back nine, just remove the front wheel. The back wheels sit on the passenger side floor and the front wheel area braces against the passenger side seat.
@tucsondivots , I often ride the frt and walk the back and will probably start to do it at least once a week since my mowing season has started and I need to save some energy.
I do as you said. I put the cart in the passenger side with the frt wheel up over seat edge. The difference is I always stop at my car heading to 10th tee and drop it off. I just drop it behind the car until i get done the back 9. Guess I've been lucky but will now really pay attention to it sitting there.
Thanks for the heads up and I glad to hear it's back up and running fine.
Rod

@tucsondivots , I often ride the frt and walk the back and will probably start to do it at least once a week since my mowing season has started and I need to save some energy.
I do as you said. I put the cart in the passenger side with the frt wheel up over seat edge. The difference is I always stop at my car heading to 10th tee and drop it off. I just drop it behind the car until i get done the back 9. Guess I've been lucky but will now really pay attention to it sitting there.
Thanks for the heads up and I glad to hear it's back up and running fine.
Rod
Rod, With the front wheel off it provides more options to fit in the passenger seat. I thought I had the front wheel pretty well braced but hit a bump and it was out in a flash. The course I played today let me leave the Volt with them at the turn, which was perfect.

some folks were wondering if the bike tire modification would impact how clean the cart stays.
i put it to a good test today: course is muddy after 3" of rain over the last few days, and still raining today.

cart was clean enough at the end of the round that i didn't even bother to hose it off before putting it in the truck.

PXL_20240418_140001319.jpgPXL_20240418_162823204.jpg

some folks were wondering if the bike tire modification would impact how clean the cart stays.
i put it to a good test today: course is muddy after 3" of rain over the last few days, and still raining today.

cart was clean enough at the end of the round that i didn't even bother to hose it off before putting it in the truck.

View attachment 9258496View attachment 9258501
If you were my neighbor, I would pay you to do that retrofit on my tires, LOL.

Well it's a done deal. I just finished the tire upgrade. I went to Walmart and bought a 29" tire for $19. Was able to make both tires from it. The tire i got goes the total width of my wheel. Hope it helps, but I guess I won't find out for 2 days as the glue says it should cure in 24-48 hours. I actually used E6000 brand because my ace didnt have the gorilla glue equivalent. I used flex seal over my seams and sewed it together with 50 lbs test fishing line. I'm excited to give it a try but probably won't be until Tuesday now.
I loaded my old bat caddy in the car tonight for tomorrow's round. That will seem like going back in time!
Here's some 0ics of my tire work. Thanks to Lambeau for the idea.
20240418_184033.jpg20240418_185332.jpg

that's awesome.

I did have a partial slip on one of my tires today where the glue didn't hold. I suspect left-right pressure is hard on it when turning?
I'll redo it this weekend and I think I'll add a few 1/2" screws like I did on my old V2 to help hold against that shearing pressure.

I was wondering about that as I don't think that the E6000 glue will hold well enough. I'm thinking if it comes loose maybe some good contact cement instead. I found the E6000 started drying before I got the tire pushed into place. The contact glue would allow about 10 minutes before either gets real tacky. That's what I use on car headliners and it allows some time to position everything before it bonds.
But I'm anxious to give this a shot. May even decide to use it in the morning. Lol
Rod

I was wondering about that as I don't think that the E6000 glue will hold well enough. I'm thinking if it comes loose maybe some good contact cement instead. I found the E6000 started drying before I got the tire pushed into place. The contact glue would allow about 10 minutes before either gets real tacky. That's what I use on car headliners and it allows some time to position everything before it bonds.
But I'm anxious to give this a shot. May even decide to use it in the morning. Lol
Rod
Following. I wonder if something like this would work if you could find the right size. https://www.carttek.com/products/replacement-remote-wheel-treads

that there is a game changer. Might convince folks that normally ride to start walking.

Hit the 130 plus mark on my cart.

I put a 5 pound ankle weight in the front pocket of my bag and it seems to have made a big difference. Going uphill it doesn't tip back as severely as it used to. I tried a 3 pound ankle weight but it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference. Drawback: 5 pound weight increase.

When I lock the front wheel, the gyro keeps it significantly straighter on sideways slopes and uphill. Point to point it seems to be easier to steer as long as you are going in a relatively straight line and going at a relatively hi-speed (5-6 bars on the speed scale). When pressing the directional button, the cart doesn't jerk left or right causing me to have to make a correction. If I "pulse" the directional button rather than press and hold, It seems to work better.

If you have to make a sharp/quick turn, forget it.

Drawback is that it seems to drain the battery faster.

Following. I wonder if something like this would work if you could find the right size. https://www.carttek.com/products/replacement-remote-wheel-treads
Funny you should post this. My second cart was a Gri-1500Li. Still have it. I went and measured the wheel and it's 12" in diameter and 3" wide. Too big for the Volt but if you could find the right size it would be easier than the other route. But the large cup holder fits perfectly into the Volts cup holder. Makes it easier to insert and remove water bottle.

Back