Keep it close till you get familiar with the handling...(y)
I think I figured it all out in my second round. I believe that the key is just to move up or down the slopes as much as possible and avoid moving the cart by itself parallel to the slope. Looking forward to seeing it in action tomorrow.

I had a really enjoyable round with the Volt today. Here are a few bullet point thoughts:

• The course I played has about as much elevation changes as any course you would encounter. The Volt definitely does not navigate these hills like the MGI Zip Navigator, but it is not a problem, either. I just have to keep my hand on the handlebar at times to steady it and make sure, as I posted above, that I go more up or down the incline, rather than parallel with it.
  • I am growing to appreciate the ease with which it sets up and takes down.
  • I also like how light it is when loading and unloading.
  • My Vessel bag stays firmly in place throughout the round. With the Zip Navigator, I usually had to re-set the bag at some point during the round.
  • At the end of the round, I had two bars left out of four on the battery. There is no way this would get me through two 18 hole rounds, but I don’t ever see myself walking for 36 holes on the same day. The very first round, I ran out of battery, but it has not been a problem since the first round
All in all, I am growing more fond of the Volt and am glad that I made the purchase.

Finally played 18 recently at my home course which is quite hilly. I agree with what others have said. This cart does not do particularly well traveling perpendicular to slopes, as it will tend to drift towards the downslope. The more severe the slope, the more it will drift. It is best to approach the slopes directly and then navigate/turn on flatter surfaces. I also try to keep the cart close/within arms reach traveling up/down slopes just in case. Once you get used to this, the cart is pretty easy to use. The pros of the cart to me include ease of folding/unfolding, lightweight, compactness, stays relatively clean even when playing wet conditions, and fairly ample storage. I’ve not had battery issues so far like others, and I hope it stays that way. Overall, I’m very happy with the Volt.

Finally played 18 recently at my home course which is quite hilly. I agree with what others have said. This cart does not do particularly well traveling perpendicular to slopes, as it will tend to drift towards the downslope. The more severe the slope, the more it will drift. It is best to approach the slopes directly and then navigate/turn on flatter surfaces. I also try to keep the cart close/within arms reach traveling up/down slopes just in case. Once you get used to this, the cart is pretty easy to use. The pros of the cart to me include ease of folding/unfolding, lightweight, compactness, stays relatively clean even when playing wet conditions, and fairly ample storage. I’ve not had battery issues so far like others, and I hope it stays that way. Overall, I’m very happy with the Volt.
Great summary and consistent with my experience.

Over a hundred miles on my Volt. Nothing new to report other than my battery problem seems to be gone. Last six rounds no worse than 1 bar remaining on the battery, a couple of times there were two bars remaining. I charge it for at least 8 hours ( I leave it plugged in even after the charger turns green) and plug it in for an 1-1 1/2 hours before my next round.

I still get a kick out of how clean it stays. Even the guys I golf with have noticed.

Over a hundred miles on my Volt. Nothing new to report other than my battery problem seems to be gone. Last six rounds no worse than 1 bar remaining on the battery, a couple of times there were two bars remaining. I charge it for at least 8 hours ( I leave it plugged in even after the charger turns green) and plug it in for an 1-1 1/2 hours before my next round.

I still get a kick out of how clean it stays. Even the guys I golf with have noticed.
Nice to hear that everyone’s glitches seem to be smoothing out. I believe it is a great product.

The stay clean part is a bonus. The tires are easy to keep clean. Congrats on reaching 100 miles! I thought I was there a few weeks ago then realized it was set on kilometers :) . So only 85 miles for me.

got my first round in with the Volt yesterday, i'm very pleased with it (coming from a Nitron/v2 combo).

impressions:
- it's super easy to set up and take down; it fits so easily into my truck and definitely speeds things up before and after the round
- the remote works great, i won't be adding raised buttons; i kept it in my back pocket with no butt-dials
- i like the auto forward when you give a turn command from a stop (this is different than my previous v2)
- the center of gravity is high; i dumped 3 times after essentially never dumping my v2. this will change with familiarity
- the wheels slip quite a bit on uphills under power, i will be adding bike tire overlays
- it runs very smooth and very quietly, turns with ease
- i like the auto-stop after a certain distance or time without input; i could run it away up the fairway without worrying about it
- the TopLok system is a dream for loading and unloading my ZTF bag, such a great combo

i get the opportunity to chat with the Bag Boy folks in a few weeks so i'll offer them some input:
- use a two wheelie bar setup rather than a single; on wheelies uphill it can pivot on the single and tip over - a dual would help prevent
- add a touch of weight up by the front wheel
- beef up the tire treads on the rear wheels; the standard cart tires spin under power, that isn't an issue when someone's pushing the cart

overall this is a really great remote cart, and the couple of issues will smooth out through my driving habits and a few easy mods. the packability and handling responsiveness are huge upgrades for me, and the light clean look is a winner.

View attachment PXL_20240406_173913341.TS~2.mp4

got my first round in with the Volt yesterday, i'm very pleased with it (coming from a Nitron/v2 combo).

impressions:
- it's super easy to set up and take down; it fits so easily into my truck and definitely speeds things up before and after the round
- the remote works great, i won't be adding raised buttons; i kept it in my back pocket with no butt-dials
- i like the auto forward when you give a turn command from a stop (this is different than my previous v2)
- the center of gravity is high; i dumped 3 times after essentially never dumping my v2. this will change with familiarity
- the wheels slip quite a bit on uphills under power, i will be adding bike tire overlays
- it runs very smooth and very quietly, turns with ease
- i like the auto-stop after a certain distance or time without input; i could run it away up the fairway without worrying about it
- the TopLok system is a dream for loading and unloading my ZTF bag, such a great combo

i get the opportunity to chat with the Bag Boy folks in a few weeks so i'll offer them some input:
- use a two wheelie bar setup rather than a single; on wheelies uphill it can pivot on the single and tip over - a dual would help prevent
- add a touch of weight up by the front wheel
- beef up the tire treads on the rear wheels; the standard cart tires spin under power, that isn't an issue when someone's pushing the cart

overall this is a really great remote cart, and the couple of issues will smooth out through my driving habits and a few easy mods. the packability and handling responsiveness are huge upgrades for me, and the light clean look is a winner.

View attachment 9254977

Bike tire overlays? Sounds interesting. What do they look like and how do you think they will help? The bumpers on the remote control have been a game changer for me. It was nearly impossible to engage the button properly without looking at it. My 16th round with the Volt today. 91 miles. Battery, as usual, had three green bars at the end and this was a hilly 6 mile course.

Bike tire overlays? Sounds interesting. What do they look like and how do you think they will help? The bumpers on the remote control have been a game changer for me. It was nearly impossible to engage the button properly without looking at it. My 16th round with the Volt today. 91 miles. Battery, as usual, had three green bars at the end and this was a hilly 6 mile course.
I was also going to inquire about bike tire overlays.

I was also going to inquire about bike tire overlays.
Bike tire overlays? Sounds interesting. What do they look like and how do you think they will help?

i did this on my v2 wheels last year and it made a huge difference for traction on uphills, plus they're quieter on cart paths.

*the glue held up just fine so the screws were overkill, i'll skip those on the Volt.

Needed:
26" mountain bike tires
gel Super Glue
1/2" hinge door screws
100lb test braided fishing line
Flex Seal liquid rubber

How to:
Cut bike tire in half and place around the v2 tire for measuring
Trim to length, leaving about a half-inch gap for the ends to come together
Trim about 1/4" - 1/2" off the tire side walls so that it lays flat covering the v2 wheel, I used a rotary tool
Use the braid fishing line to sew tire ends together; should be sized such that you're able to slide over the wheel, but tight enough that it's not super easy
Apply glue inside tire and on wheel surface, slide tire on
Add screws spaced around the tire
Spray Flex Seal over the gap/fishing line connection

wheel.jpg

i did this on my v2 wheels last year and it made a huge difference for traction on uphills, plus they're quieter on cart paths.

*the glue held up just fine so the screws were overkill, i'll skip those on the Volt.

Needed:
26" mountain bike tires
gel Super Glue
1/2" hinge door screws
100lb test braided fishing line
Flex Seal liquid rubber

How to:
Cut bike tire in half and place around the v2 tire for measuring
Trim to length, leaving about a half-inch gap for the ends to come together
Trim about 1/4" - 1/2" off the tire side walls so that it lays flat covering the v2 wheel, I used a rotary tool
Use the braid fishing line to sew tire ends together; should be sized such that you're able to slide over the wheel, but tight enough that it's not super easy
Apply glue inside tire and on wheel surface, slide tire on
Add screws spaced around the tire
Spray Flex Seal over the gap/fishing line connection

View attachment 9255187
Interesting. Keep us posted how this goes. The Volt tires stay so clean during the round.Did you find the tires picked up any more or less mud and debris?

Interesting. Keep us posted how this goes. The Volt tires stay so clean during the round.Did you find the tires picked up any more or less mud and debris?
yes, those tires would hold debris - especially the dang oak leaves that don't fall until spring. it didn't throw dirt onto the cart itself much that i noticed.
i'd usually just stop by the hose at the cart cleaning station and give the tires a quick rinse after the round.

i'm planning to get it done this week, will update as i do.

@lambeau , as others have said the bike overlaysare an interesting thought. Do you have any pictures of the seam you sew to draw the 2 ends together? I would be very interested in what change the overlays make.i wish this tire was another 1" or 2" more wide. I think that would make a huge difference.
Here's a battery update, my battery was last used 11 days ago. I charged it once I got home and it's been sitting since then. This morning I tested it and it was still at 28.18 volts.

@lambeau , as others have said the bike overlaysare an interesting thought. Do you have any pictures of the seam you sew to draw the 2 ends together? I would be very interested in what change the overlays make.i wish this tire was another 1" or 2" more wide. I think that would make a huge difference.
Here's a battery update, my battery was last used 11 days ago. I charged it once I got home and it's been sitting since then. This morning I tested it and it was still at 28.18 volts.
Yeah I agree. If the volt wheels were just a tad bit thicker, I feel it would offer better stability and traction.

Project complete!

Cut BMX tire to size for length and width.
Stretch tight!
Sew seam.

PXL_20240410_002323974.jpg

Apply glue to inside of tire.
I used Gorilla Glue adhesive (E6000 equivalent)
Slide/stretch onto wheel.
Clean off excess glue from wheel edges.

PXL_20240410_010900730.jpg

Spray FlexSeal rubber onto seam.
Apply second coat after 24 hours.

PXL_20240410_021003738.jpg

Project complete!

PXL_20240411_011635595.jpg
PXL_20240410_021148775.jpg
PXL_20240410_021204339.jpg

Project complete!

Stretch tight!
Sew seam.

View attachment 9256189

View attachment 9256187

View attachment 9256190

Project complete!

View attachment 9256184
View attachment 9256185
View attachment 9256186
That looks pretty good, well done.

Project complete!

Stretch tight!
Sew seam.

View attachment 9256189

View attachment 9256187

View attachment 9256190

Project complete!

View attachment 9256184
View attachment 9256185
View attachment 9256186
Nice work. Will be interested to hear how it affects performance.

I'm can't wait to hear how it performs once you get it out on the course. I can see it should make a difference in traction but also how smooth it will run. Make sure to post your results. Thanks for this information.
Rod

@lambeau was wondering did you need 2 tires or just one?

i ended up buying two 20" bmx tires @ $20 each. the longer tires at my local hardware store were for street bikes without strong tread. for the cost, i figured having a little too much was better than a bit too little. add some glue, spray rubber, and heavy braid fishing line (all of which i had at home) and it was done for under 50 bucks.

i will post some video after i get it out on the course this weekend. if previous v2 experience holds, the traction will be way better and it will be quieter when on pavement too.

i ended up buying two 20" bmx tires @ $20 each. the longer tires at my local hardware store were for street bikes without strong tread. for the cost, i figured having a little too much was better than a bit too little. add some glue, spray rubber, and heavy braid fishing line (all of which i had at home) and it was done for under 50 bucks.

i will post some video after i get it out on the course this weekend. if previous v2 experience holds, the traction will be way better and it will be quieter when on pavement too.
I am amazed with your ingenuity.

Back