Aretera Golf Shafts

The competitors have the resources and equipment to reverse engineer any shaft and identify EI curves of competitive products so when they choose not to share information to the public in my opinion it is the end user that suffers. I believe it is counter productive. How can hiding infornation from the end user be a good strategy?

The only rationale is that the shaft manufacturers don’t view the end user as their customer. They must view the OEMs and fitters as their customers.
Making it easier for competition isn’t a great idea, but with that said, EI is such a misunderstood dynamic of shafts I’m not sure it’s worth the headache in support necessary that comes from it. I believe most would share through THP or fitters by request

But short answer is, if it’s something you crave a brand does that exact thing now and you can jump on Nippon for all shaft needs.

Do you think in the premium category golfers prefer traditional flexes or something more like PX does? Or is there a need for something totally different?
Would more nomenclature be meaningful in the absence of an articulated industry standard?

Would more nomenclature be meaningful in the absence of an articulated industry standard?
Not sure. I’m asking you guys haha.
This is not me saying Aretera is doing that, just general conversation.

If a company is trying to differentiate themselves as a new entrant in the shaft industry what are the most important attributes of the product that they could tout?

Performance has to be there. Quality as well. Value. As in having a competitive price for the performance.

Who are they trying to serve? The golfer is the end user, but how do they reach them? Do they cater to OEMs, to fitters or go direct to the golfers/end users?

Not sure. I’m asking you guys haha.
This is not me saying Aretera is doing that, just general conversation.
Golf does need more terms of art.

For me graphics, or colors, is the least important factor. Performance is key. But for a shaft manufacturer graphics and colors are important to building the brand. Think of the UST “Laker” shaft.

Do you think in the premium category golfers prefer traditional flexes or something more like PX does? Or is there a need for something totally different?
There's a need for the whole world of shaft companies to standardize the flexes to some extent.

I think the type of people that would most likely check this company out would like to have about as many flexes as possible and not just go R S X.

If a company is trying to differentiate themselves as a new entrant in the shaft industry what are the most important attributes of the product that they could tout?

Performance has to be there. Quality as well. Value. As in having a competitive price for the performance.

Who are they trying to serve? The golfer is the end user, but how do they reach them? Do they cater to OEMs, to fitters or go direct to the golfers/end users?
That’s why I say instant tour adoption. That turns heads as much as everyone tried to deny it.

There's a need for the whole world of shaft companies to standardize the flexes to some extent.

I think the type of people that would most likely check this company out would like to have about as many flexes as possible and not just go R S X.
How? When in the world of non composite it would need to vary by weight to a degree since those are not independent.

I genuinely think there is to a degree.

How? When in the world of non composite it would need to vary by weight to a degree since those are not independent.

Nothing in the golf world is “standard” why should shafts be?

Nothing in the golf world is “standard” why should shafts be?
I think it would be very hard. Take my prototype for instance. It is ladies flex in the hands and then X throughout and stiff in the tip. What flex should it be?

I think it would be very hard. Take my prototype for instance. It is ladies flex in the hands and then X throughout and stiff in the tip. What flex should it be?
I do want to try that shaft. So interesting..

A JB. Without ladies, x-stiff or stiff being defined by an industry standard measure, none of those matter. They’re terms defined by that manufacturer.

I remember however long ago I heard that company A could have a X flex at I don't know 500 CPM (I honestly have no idea what a X is measured at) and company B has a S at 500, then C has X at 700, then D who wants to compete with C is at 720.
But if companies are getting closer together like you say then I'm late on knowing that.

Then you go and mention your 1 of 1 and wonder how that would measure or even like you say, be rated if at all with it being a Frankenstein shaft.

A JB. Without ladies, x-stiff or stiff being defined by an industry standard measure, none of those matter. They’re terms defined by that manufacturer.
But they do exist in a general sense, right? Obviously with different materials, strengths, and orientation, judging flex by a single measurement is really tough.

But they do exist in a general sense, right? Obviously with different materials, strengths, and orientation, judging flex by a single measurement is really tough.
As marketing terms. Does stiff mean the same to each manufacturer?

That’s why I say instant tour adoption. That turns heads as much as everyone tried to deny it.
Being played on tour does get a huge credibility boost for sure.

In a general sense, yes.
I am sure it comes down to a cpm range for them that they kind of all agree on.

In a general sense, yes.
Ok, using your driver shaft as an example, the portions of the shaft that ladies, X-stiff and stiff have generally agreed upon numerical values that define the flex designations at some point or other in that section? To me, it seems they be combined to formulate a grade for a shaft with those values. It would, at a minimum, have more meaning than a generic term without a readily ascertainable value.

Ok, using your driver shaft as an example, the portions of the shaft that ladies, X-stiff and stiff have generally agreed upon numerical values that define the flex designations at some point or other in that section? To me, it seems they be combined to formulate a grade for a shaft with those values. It would, at a minimum, have more meaning than a generic term without a readily ascertainable value.
They would. It would generate a stiff flex.

This still excites me as if it’s a passion project for them it leads me to hope they make some great strides in shaft technology.

This still excites me as if it’s a passion project for them it leads me to hope they make some great strides in shaft technology.
Ya, pretty awesome venture it seems. Excited to see what they come out with. Most innovative, game changing shafts ever produced is a bold statement!

Back