Aretera Golf Shafts

I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but fun flashy colors or custom designed shafts always look so unique to me.

What would make them stand out to me if they could market it in a way that people who are partially shaft illiterate could better understand them. There's a lot of talk about how each is a piece of the whole, but what the focuses are change with each part and each person. Like the shaft focus is X, the clubhead focus is Y etc and how do we emphasize the X better.

What do people want to see out of a brand like this?

What would make a new shaft company stand out?
Love this question!

When it comes to composite shafts. What I would love to see (but probably never be able to afford) is individualization.. Meaning, you dont get fit into a shaft that already exists in a matrix, but you get fit and then they make the shaft or shaft set based on the data. Every shaft is a total one-off. I would love something like that. But again, probably not be able to afford it.. The cost of that kind of bespoke shaft would be crazy high I think. But would love for it to exist.

That would totally make them stand out.

Love this question!

When it comes to composite shafts. What I would love to see (but probably never be able to afford) is individualization.. Meaning, you dont get fit into a shaft that already exists in a matrix, but you get fit and then they make the shaft or shaft set based on the data. Every shaft is a total one-off. I would love something like that. But again, probably not be able to afford it.. The cost of that kind of bespoke shaft would be crazy high I think. But would love for it to exist.

That would totally make them stand out.
Is that possible?
Or at least financially feasible?

Is that possible?
Or at least financially feasible?
I don’t know.

And probably not.

But it would be awesome and stand out right?

I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but fun flashy colors or custom designed shafts always look so unique to me.

What would make them stand out to me if they could market it in a way that people who are partially shaft illiterate could better understand them. There's a lot of talk about how each is a piece of the whole, but what the focuses are change with each part and each person. Like the shaft focus is X, the clubhead focus is Y etc and how do we emphasize the X better.
I think that is where fitters come into play and with most premium shafts being available from them.

Maybe more realistic.

If a shaft can show significant distance and dispersion gains while taking over Ventus in tour bags. That would be interesting!!

Maybe more realistic.

If a shaft can show significant distance and dispersion gains while taking over Ventus in tour bags. That would be interesting!!
I would assume with Alex at the forefront of this, tour usage will be taking place rather quickly

I would assume with Alex at the forefront of this, tour usage will be taking place rather quickly
I would think so. He is a smart dude. I wonder if the shaft world is maybe the golf segment that benefits the most from tour usage..

Cool, original graphics
A variety of flexes/profiles to fit a wide range of golfers

Cool, original graphics
A variety of flexes/profiles to fit a wide range of golfers
Do you think in the premium category golfers prefer traditional flexes or something more like PX does? Or is there a need for something totally different?

Tour exposure will make them stand out which they’re covering already from the sounds of it, next is fitting cart availability as well. As many people want to test options but availability is tougher in areas than some.
As far as what some would want to see is more graphite iron options at more reasonable rates compared to the market. 100-115 grams in regular to stiff flexes. Those tend to run into the stiff to x flex in graphite range.

Do you think in the premium category golfers prefer traditional flexes or something more like PX does? Or is there a need for something totally different?
We're dealing with the lunatic fringe here, and within that subset I think there are golfers of all swing speeds/types and abilities who would benefit from (and be interested in) premium shafts. On a wider basis, I'm not sure - but I'd guess that lunatic fringe type golfers make up the vast majority of aftermarket shaft purchases anyway.

I'm not that knowledgeable about the shaft market, but something totally different could be mindblowing and very popular also.

Reactions: JB

I prefer something other than reg, stiff, x stiff. I like the PX model or the codes used by UST Mamiya 6F4, 6F5.. etc..

Or, the International Flex code.. That was awesome but probably too confusing.

What does Aretera mean? If you google it there are a bunch of different companies with that name. It must mean something good. Like Acme (don't think Looney Tunes) or something like that.

I may have misread the question, so let me try again - I'd be all for something totally different in flex/profile designations, especially if they made more sense and were more descriptive/predictive than the standard R, S, X or the more confusing 5F4, 6F5, etc.

What does Aretera mean? If you google it there are a bunch of different companies with that name. It must mean something good. Like Acme (don't think Looney Tunes) or something like that.
I think i’m under embargo on that but yes it has a meaning

I think i’m under embargo on that but yes it has a meaning
I figure with how much it is being used and how. If the only definition I can find means anything about the designs It could be interesting.

I’d really like to see a shaft company do something completely different in terms of nomenclature. The flexes are so muddy and there’s confusion on what weight is required or not.

Maybe shafts that use a completely different convention and has a fitting chart based on carry distance, trajectory and skin.

I would think so. He is a smart dude. I wonder if the shaft world is maybe the golf segment that benefits the most from tour usage..
No shaft company that I know of pays players to play their stuff. So when someone plays the shafts it always gets noticed because of that.

No shaft company that I know of pays players to play their stuff. So when someone plays the shafts it always gets noticed because of that.
I think “some” are paid. But very few.. but yeah I was thinking along those lines.

Most shaft companies have really moved away from posting EI curves For the public to see. The shaft company that is completely transparent for the end user is the one that I would trust more not less.

Most shaft companies have really moved away from posting EI curves For the public to see. The shaft company that is completely transparent for the end user is the one that I would trust more not less.
Do you think they are hiding something by not sharing? or just that most consumers have no clue what the EI curve even means or how it is applied?

Out of curiosity why is that? Most club companies are not putting out how every club head is made to the externals or grip companies putting out how grips are made. Why shafts alone?

The argument against is that it would be mimicked immediately.

Nippon still puts out most I believe for their graphite

Personally, I don’t care about that if it performs as desired. As technologies advance, what we assume to work for us, may not be on traditional info.

Out of curiosity why is that? Most club companies are not putting out how every club head is made to the externals or grip companies putting out how grips are made. Why shafts alone?

The argument against is that it would be mimicked immediately.

Nippon still puts out most I believe for their graphite
The competitors have the resources and equipment to reverse engineer any shaft and identify EI curves of competitive products so when they choose not to share information to the public in my opinion it is the end user that suffers. I believe it is counter productive. How can hiding infornation from the end user be a good strategy?

The only rationale is that the shaft manufacturers don’t view the end user as their customer. They must view the OEMs and fitters as their customers.

Back