any fishermen here?

Good times up at the famed Slough Creek in Yellowstone. I even saw a black wolf.
IMG_5873.jpegIMG_5875.jpegimagejpeg_0.jpegScreenshot_20230831_154253_Marco_Polo.jpeg

Utah has some awesome trout fishing.
This was up in Yellowstone Park, but your statement is definitely true. I love living in Utah.

This was up in Yellowstone Park, but your statement is definitely true. I love living in Utah.

About as close as I get to trout fishing is the Great Smokie Mountains, around the Raven Fork Watershed, Little River, Bryson City, Cataloochee Creek and then a drive over to the Hiwassee River in Tn which has a huge sulfur hatch around May. But its been over 5 years since I've been there.

I took a week off from golf to do a little river fishing for smallmouth bass floating in my little personal pontoon boat. The weather was beautiful and the fishing was great. Here’s just a few of the fish we got.

DSCF0005.jpegDSCF0006.jpegDSCF0002.jpeg

I have never caught a smallmouth. Those are some great fish.
Man, catching those big river smallies when they get out in the fast current on light tackle will stop your heart. They never give up.

nothing I've caught fights like a smallmouth. I had one just under 5# and that fought harder then my first 10# largemouth. When they see that boat, they go insane

I see these pop up in my FB feed every day - Cabo is a fishing Mecca!
Tuna Cabo.jpg

I disagree. It is boring, uninteresting and unless you have your own rig an such it is a total ripoff!
The worst thing you can do is get ambushed at the Cabo marina by all the hawkers. There are lots of great captains with good boats; they can get you into fish at a reasonable price too. The expat groups on FB have lots of referrals and testimonials, and those are great resources for fishing and everything else!

I have never caught a smallmouth. Those are some great fish.

A few years ago my BIL took me up to Lake Erie to fish the Ashtabula breakwall for smallmouth bass. This was in May, when the fish come in close to shore to spawn. Usually happens when the water temps get to the mid 50's. I caught 4 smallies that day among other fish. Each one was a PB and each one was bigger than the one before! The last smallie I caught took the cake. We were trolling and it just crushed an 800 series Reef Runner in blue and chrome. It was like fighting a Mack truck! I have never felt a freshwater fish with that kind of power. It measured a hair over 22" and my guess is that it was around 8 lbs. Biggest smallmouth of my life. A real football.

We hit the ramp at dawn and fished until noon. He drove back to his place and I drove home from there. My Sister still can't quite understand how we can get up in the pre-dawn darkness, drive for an hour, or hours, come back empty handed and rave about how good the fishing was! Well, we would come home empty handed anyway, since the state of Ohio won''t allow you to keep Erie smallmouth during that time of the year. I don't think I would even if we were. I have never killed and eaten a smallie! Largemouth bass, yes! 2 to 3 lbs are good eaters. They start getting a little "woody" bigger than that.

Anyway, I get home and notice that my hands are a little achy. A half hour later I'm in agony as my hands are throbbing in pain! I take some ibuprofen but am wondering why my hands hurt so bad, when it hits me like a ton of bricks. Those aches were part of the price of the privilege of catching those beautiful fish that day!

IMG_1106.jpeg
We had a great time, caught everything on top water, a great river, beautiful camping.

IMG_0892.jpegThe view from camp.
IMG_1095.jpeg
It’s difficult to Bass fish all day, we’d pull over every couple of hours to rest and target something for dinner.
IMG_0866.jpeg

Last edited:
Bass fishing is what I do if I fish. I have two ranger boats. Used to tournament fish a lot.

It is streamer season and I am loving it.

IMG_8506.jpegIMG_8619.jpegIMG_8684.jpegIMG_8672.jpegIMG_8527.jpegIMG_5963.jpeg

It is streamer season and I am loving it.

Streamer fishing is my absolute favorite. It can be tough, but when its hitting that day. Good lord your in for a ride.

Back