any fishermen here?

What is "streamer"? That red thing? I thought that was a Kokanee at first. The others are lake trout?

So awesome - I am tempted to come visit you for a day of fishing and a day of golf!!!
Streamer is a type of lure, Meant to look like a small fish or leech

1696964615055.png

What is "streamer"? That red thing? I thought that was a Kokanee at first. The others are lake trout?

So awesome - I am tempted to come visit you for a day of fishing and a day of golf!!!
Come on down! Look at the third photo down and you will see a bushy looking fly sticking out of the side of the fish’s mouth. That is a streamer. Streamers are large, sinking flies that imitate baitfish or juvenile trout. You throw them with large fly rods, sinking lines and strip them in. It is pretty wild when the fish are on them. As the temps get colder, we keep moving to bigger streamers. Some are 8 to 10 inches long. You can move some pretty large fish with them.

IMG_5936.jpeg

This one was last November. It was about 15 degrees, but somehow it doesn’t feel so cold when you land a monster.

You are correct. The bright red fish is a Kokanee in spawning colors. The others are all cutthroat trout, which is the species we primarily target with this unique style of fly fishing.

Sounds like I may be headed to the coast again next summer for another fishing trip of the stars line up.
Going to have to learn to have better sea legs before then!

Sounds like I may be headed to the coast again next summer for another fishing trip of the stars line up.
Going to have to learn to have better sea legs before then!
Good luck with that. I've been on several cruises, and once I get my sea legs on the ship, it's time to go back ashore and you end up wobbling around on dry land for a while!

I have think that I am crazy. I couple friends and I are headed up to Yellowstone Lake later this week to target giant cutthroat that come into the shallows of the lake as the water cools. The Park closes to fishing after October 31, so this is as late as you can do it. However, a sudden cold front is moving in and the temps are below my comfort zone, LOL.

IMG_6037.jpeg

I am kind of committed at this point, but wishing I were headed south to the St. George area for golf. However, this is what is possible:

IMG_8530.jpegIMG_8531.jpegIMG_8533.jpegIMG_8532.jpeg

I have think that I am crazy. I couple friends and I are headed up to Yellowstone Lake later this week to target giant cutthroat that come into the shallows of the lake as the water cools. The Park closes to fishing after October 31, so this is as late as you can do it. However, a sudden cold front is moving in and the temps are below my comfort zone, LOL.

View attachment 9215780

I am kind of committed at this point, but wishing I were headed south to the St. George area for golf. However, this is what is possible:

View attachment 9215781View attachment 9215782View attachment 9215783View attachment 9215784
The Temp is one thing. Its the wind that could be the problem with that sudden burst of cold. Tell ya what I'm glad I got my water lines blown out in my sprinkler system. Puffy jackets and water proof clothing are your friends. Thickest pair of waders you can get. Beware of that thin ice too.

My brother has been visiting the last few days for his 60th birthday and it’s been a whirlwind. Lots of fishing, some deer hunting, crabbing. We’ve been busy.

Here’s yesterday’s catch:

859D6968-5FB3-4DF8-98F3-45CE0C1C0882.jpeg

The Temp is one thing. Its the wind that could be the problem with that sudden burst of cold. Tell ya what I'm glad I got my water lines blown out in my sprinkler system. Puffy jackets and water proof clothing are your friends. Thickest pair of waders you can get. Beware of that thin ice too.
Yep - get yourself some good thick merino baselayers like the ones from First Lite or Smart Wool for sure.

Yeah, I was on some water last year and the temperature was around 15 degrees, but the wind was stiff, too. It was freaking cold, until I hooked into a 25 inch trout and landed it, LOL.

The plan is that we are going to be fishing out of my friend’s bass boat, so that makes it much easier to deal with.

IMG_5936.jpeg
This was last year in November. It was 17 degrees when I landed this fish. You can see from the water that there was a nice wind blowing.

I traded in my 10 year old boat for the new model and am breaking it in and working out the build issues. I leave for south florida for 3 weeks rigth after thanksgiving. 58 and a 15mph wind and most won't go outside the house in that part of the world. Talking about fishing below 32 is insane.

what are they?
A mixed bag of 10 Red Fish, 12 Norfolk Spot, 25 Whiting, 2 Croaker and one Pompano. We caught a pile but only kept 50.

Used Live shrimp that we cast netted. Coastal Georgia. Fishing in the Sapelo Sound between St. Catherine and Blackbeard islands.

I traded in my 10 year old boat for the new model and am breaking it in and working out the build issues. I leave for south florida for 3 weeks rigth after thanksgiving. 58 and a 15mph wind and most won't go outside the house in that part of the world. Talking about fishing below 32 is insane.
I am guilty as charged.

Happy Homer Simpson GIF

My brother has been visiting the last few days for his 60th birthday and it’s been a whirlwind. Lots of fishing, some deer hunting, crabbing. We’ve been busy.

Here’s yesterday’s catch:

View attachment 9215790

Nicely doneBD.

What’s the slot limit for y’all with reds?

Edit: just looked it up. Y’all’s slot is about the same as ours in sc but you get to keep 3 more a day than we do. Lucky!!!!!

Eventually you just go numb and its fine.

We are about ready to get dumped on with snow. If @Tenputt posts a selfie with his face all covered in snow, I might have to fight him.

Stupid trend that hunters and fisherman do. I watched a guy dump his head in the snow bank, proceed to take out his phone and take a picture of himself.

A mixed bag of 10 Red Fish, 12 Norfolk Spot, 25 Whiting, 2 Croaker and one Pompano. We caught a pile but only kept 50.

50 fish! Seriously? What can you possibly do with 50 fish?

Pompano & Redfish ... yes, great eating.
Spot & Croaker - Bait ... everything eats live Spot. I use live Spot for Cobia a lot. When I can find them that is
Kingfish or Whiting ... good shark bait & live for King Mackerel

Gull Lake MN where our cabin is hosts a charity ice fishing contest each January and cuts 11,000 holes in the ice. Last year I believe the high temp was 2º F but the beer/food tents were packed as was the entire bay of the lake. Although I’ve enjoyed it, I’m not sad I’ve traded my ice fishing gear and will be heading south to Naples for the winter. I’m shipping our 23’ Whaler down there later this week and will be learning how to become a better saltwater fisherman very soon. :)

IMG_3919.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 5
Eventually you just go numb and its fine.

We are about ready to get dumped on with snow. If @Tenputt posts a selfie with his face all covered in snow, I might have to fight him.

Stupid trend that hunters and fisherman do. I watched a guy dump his head in the snow bank, proceed to take out his phone and take a picture of himself.
Ha ha. I won’t do that. I am not that crazy.

Lobster season is going on.

Attachments

• A48EFCDA-1E52-48A3-BE4C-9C337CAD9EE8.jpeg
    A48EFCDA-1E52-48A3-BE4C-9C337CAD9EE8.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 6694550B-6D1C-4F3A-82FF-C41DB49D5B3C.jpeg
    6694550B-6D1C-4F3A-82FF-C41DB49D5B3C.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 4
Sanity prevailed. My buddy called this morning and said he didn’t want to do it with the weather as forecast. So, a complete change of plans for me. I am going to head down to the St. George/Mesquite area for golf.

Back