That thing is flying. How many mm/s is that?

It is running up around 15mm/s throughout the part... I had a small defect on the top surface so may slow down the top surfaces for the next one. Print time was ~2:12.

Surface defects
454BC105-7512-495F-913E-99BDAE088AED.jpegC05B3B00-08F7-450D-BF22-982595881B4B.jpeg

I got three printed at work today. The second still had the same big edge tear of parallel top surface passes to the perimeter. I rotated the third branch 15* and its pretty dialed in except for a couple stray strings on the tapered overhangs inside the holes.

View attachment trim.92899327-5F05-410C-97FA-0C4AB1F449BE.MOV

This turned out so well! Told my wife about the 3d/lego stuff going on. She wants one for the house so badly lol.

I told her to buy me a printer for xmas and she could have one lol.
Its a really straight forward project once you get everything dialed in. That, or spend about $30 on Etsy 😂

Looking for a good starter printer for my 10 year old, who has been asking for one. I don’t know much about them at all yet (haven’t went down the rabbit hole), but from my little research the Ender V3 looks ok..

Looking for a good starter printer for my 10 year old, who has been asking for one. I don’t know much about them at all yet (haven’t went down the rabbit hole), but from my little research the Ender V3 looks ok..

That's where I'd start. What part of Ohio are you in? I'll give you my old Ender 3 v2 if you're close.

That's where I'd start. What part of Ohio are you in? I'll give you my old Ender 3 v2 if you're close.

I’m in Stow (30 minutes from Cleveland, 20 from Akron). That would be awesome if you’re close, I would for sure take you up on that.

I’m in Stow (30 minutes from Cleveland, 20 from Akron). That would be awesome if you’re close, I would for sure take you up on that.

Ahh, I'm in Cincinnati, so we basically have the entire state between us. :ROFLMAO:

Ahh, I'm in Cincinnati, so we basically have the entire state between us. :ROFLMAO:

Haha, yep! Lol. My sister is driving up from Kentucky in a couple weeks and goes through there but probably too much coordination right around Christmas. Really appreciate the gesture though.

printing pros, you all think I'll need supports for this piece?
1670644791162.png

Last edited:
printing pros, you all think I'll need supports for this piece?
View attachment 9142688
I would do under the body and the chin just to be safe. Just based on that the neck will be starting to print before the body is done

but you might be able to get away with none? What is the downside of adding the supports? A few minutes extra print time?Or the residual cleaning after?

I would do under the body and the chin just to be safe. Just based on that the neck will be starting to print before the body is done

but you might be able to get away with none? What is the downside of adding the supports? A few minutes extra print time?Or the residual cleaning after?
A combination of the cleaning and my limited (none) experience with them. Will the slicing software put them automatically or do I get to pick? I wouldn’t want them in the wheel tracks at all.

A combination of the cleaning and my limited (none) experience with them. Will the slicing software put them automatically or do I get to pick? I wouldn’t want them in the wheel tracks at all.
Yea, it depends which slicing software you use
Try to mess around with the support settings and they will show you previews of where the supports will be. Otherwise, just do a print and see if it works

Yea, it depends which slicing software you use
Try to mess around with the support settings and they will show you previews of where the supports will be. Otherwise, just do a print and see if it works
So one more question. Do some slicers give the ability to have different densities based on location? For example, I want the base and track piece to be really solid but the above dinosaur tunnel can basically be hollow.
Do those exist? Changing settings based on z-offset?

So one more question. Do some slicers give the ability to have different densities based on location? For example, I want the base and track piece to be really solid but the above dinosaur tunnel can basically be hollow.
Do those exist? Changing settings based on z-offset?
I’ve never dealt with a slicer that can do that. Paging @GraniteRoost @Qwkz51 @justincredible @BigDill
Can someone help scooby?

I’ve never dealt with a slicer that can do that. Paging @GraniteRoost @Qwkz51 @justincredible @BigDill
Can someone help scooby?
I've not seen any software do that either. I would probably print in multiple pieces if that was absolutely required. There are very few instances where solid is needed, something like 50-70% is almost indistinguishable from solid in 90% of uses. If you're worried about durability, increase the wall thickness, which in thinner parts will make a solid part anyways.

Back