2023 Nippon N.S. Pro Putter Shafts

it is a thought, I'm torn on the weight though.

I was going to swap another retrofit graphite shaft into a milled SWAG head, but it's apparently a .355 hosel.

now i have a lonely shaftless head.
Do you want to stay within a weight class existing or live a little on the different class? And what weight would that put you in

Do you want to stay within a weight class existing or live a little on the different class? And what weight would that put you in
dunno, most of the ones I have are in the 120g range. I like them and it would be a more direct comparison, but curious what a heavier shaft would do.

@Hawk enjoyed the writeup. It's interesting that Nippon is saying less stiff works better, while Odyssey is going the opposite direction. Do you know why?
The stiffness isn’t really addressed by Nippon when it comes to performance. I think for Nippon, the benefit of steel comes down to feel and feedback that is reduced with graphite. They believe that you lose the ability to adjust/learn via feedback.

The stiffness isn’t really addressed by Nippon when it comes to performance. I think for Nippon, the benefit of steel comes down to feel and feedback that is reduced with graphite. They believe that you lose the ability to adjust/learn via feedback.
I do feel less feedback with the stability shaft in my Versa, but believe there's a performance benefit that outweighs that for me.

How so? Not disagreeing btw. Just curious about your experiences.

I've tried the kinetixx zero trq, KBS gps, Full graphite all in, steeltip all in.

they all dampen vibration and "shorten" feel. everything is more instant and abbreviated, but once you kind of prepare for that the feel of misses and contact is still there.

it is by far muted the most with the kinetixx zero trq
KBS gps is next
Full graphite all in is very similar to the KBS.
The steel tip all in is kinda in between the above and steel.

So I have the 160g cut down another roughly 1/2”, and have it curing in a Toulon Portland. It stuck in enough that I could at least give some rough swings and it seemed a bit better already. Will report back when I’ve had some actual testing.

I’m going to need some more time to evaluate this, but so far the 160g feels just a bit too heavy and is making my stroke hard to keep consistent for whatever reason. The weight is very noticeable to me, but the 140g might be a good bridge here. I’ll give an update after a few more days with it.

D6385E0A-C7F5-4A34-BCBA-3EC64098A0A9.jpeg

A3DA4178-9A0A-4D9E-AA58-AFD8448E4A9C.jpeg

Just to provide some background about what I normally use - I basically exclusively use either strokelab or the KBS CT Tour.

So after a few more days....the 160 is ok. I think if you're someone who uses something like a superstroke typically and use the 50g weight, it's going to feel very similar. If you find those too heavy, you'll probably have the same issue with this one. It feels like something that will help smooth out short putts, but I am worried about consistency with distance lag putting. it does it's job though of making you use your bigger shoulder muscles while putting, but it forces it a bit too much for my liking.

I think that 140 might be a really good slight step up over a standard 120, but the 160 jump is big. I also believe that if you are someone who likes standard counter balanced putters, and not something like stroke lab, this could also be a great option without having to be SO heavy like a lot of counter balanced putters end up being. Very similar feel to me IMO.

The finish on the shaft is absolutely incredible.

Tinkering with the 140g in a 5K DW, and I’m loving the way the shaft changes the acoustic and feel on contact. Gives the ball (CSX) a sharper hollow acoustic if that relates to anyone. Feel the weight is perfect for me as I typically lean towards heavier but don’t prefer the sledgehammer feel by adding the weight towards the head on putters. This allows the weight to be noticeable but nicely distributed through the lower 2/3 of the putter.

The acoustic bit is real. I’ve had a few that produce sounds like I haven’t heard. Guessing that happens when I get out towards the toe.

The acoustic bit is real. I’ve had a few that produce sounds like I haven’t heard. Guessing that happens when I get out towards the toe.
Mine have been centered but didn’t sound like the All-In or Stroke Lab shafts that were previously in the putter.

There is so much more feel and audible feedback in the 120g compared to the UST All-In at contact. I have been rolling them side-by-side with the same head now pretty much every day for a week. If you are one that prioritizing feeling the hit and location, I couldn’t recommend trying one of these out enough.

From a stroke standpoint, it continues to feel a bit more lively than the graphite. Not loose or out of control in any way, but not a stiff as the graphite. The time is it almost feels like I need to be touch, more aggressive, or in tempo if that makes sense. I’m not sure which I prefer but I’m definitely intrigued.

Getting out for a round today to see how it goes

The 140g shaft feels outstanding. I like a heavier feeling putter and this provides a great way to accomplish that.

There is so much more feel and audible feedback in the 120g compared to the UST All-In at contact. I have been rolling them side-by-side with the same head now pretty much every day for a week. If you are one that prioritizing feeling the hit and location, I couldn’t recommend trying one of these out enough.

From a stroke standpoint, it continues to feel a bit more lively than the graphite. Not loose or out of control in any way, but not a stiff as the graphite. The time is it almost feels like I need to be touch, more aggressive, or in tempo if that makes sense. I’m not sure which I prefer but I’m definitely intrigued.

Getting out for a round today to see how it goes
the round went well today as what I was feeling on the mat at 6’ translated to longer putts on the course, great audible feedback, stable yet could feel just a hint of action in it. I didn’t have much trouble of all lag putting, the shaft put out what I expected given what I put into it

The more I putt with this, the easier it is to start figuring it out and getting used to it. I am still not sold that the 160g is for me, but I can absolutely see the application for it. If you like the overall weight of a superstroke with the 50g butt weight installed, but hate how it light it makes the putter head feel, this is a fantastic option. The overall weight is actually 10g lighter than a standard shaft + superstroke + 50g red backweight, but doesn't impact the overall feel of the head weight quite as much (at least to me) since all that weight isn't completely at the butt end.

@CBaker - if you want to get crazy and swap the 120 and 160 for testing purposes let me know, I’d be down to try. Don’t think the heavier weight would be for me but this has been enjoyable to test so far

some lag putting on the green over lunch and I really enjoy the bit of flow in the shaft, just allows a free and easy stroke, almost like it gives a subtle kick into the ball which means less effort needed in the stroke, which then in turn means more accuracy

definitely pondering what the 140g feels like to give me just a bit more stability on the shorter ones

So still part of the audible feedback has resulted in a higher pitched almost harmonic sound with the 120g shaft that honestly isn’t very pleasant. Tried to add a couple of corks to dampen it but couldn’t quite get it to fully go away. I think there is something about how it interacts with the hosel/head shape that it’s not happy about.

Not yet wrong size for a loose head I have sitting. Debating what to put it in.

One drawback (if there really is one) of testing gear direct from OEM's is you get things that don't fit sometimes. A beautiful putter came my way a couple weeks back, but was unfortunately too short for me. Luckily I had a 140g Nippon waiting for a home. Definitely seems to be the most "balanced" of the three weight options for me.The 120g is still a sleeper to me - I think more people would like it than think they would (with the right head). For an all-around easy transition, the 140g is probably going to be the ticket though. The weight is comfortable and it feels really nice.

Back