2023 Nippon N.S. Pro Putter Shafts

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We’ve spent a great deal of time in the past few years looking at some of the lesser-known parts of the Nippon Shaft catalog. While the venerable N.S. Pro Modus 3 and N.S Pro GH iron shafts are widely recognized by enthusiasts, Nippon boasts a full line from graphite wood shafts all the way down to steel putter shafts. Yes, you heard that right. Nippon, with their extensive experience in producing high-quality steel, has aftermarket putter shafts. In fact, they’ve had them for quite a long time. Recently, the company re-booted their N.S. Pro putter shaft line, and has incorporated several new features to provide premium aesthetics and performance.

Continue reading...

Finish on these look great. I prefer a softer feel in putter shafts so these have me very interested.

I have one of these that I am going to drop in a putter.
Going to give it a run over the next couple of weeks, like the feel aspect described.

• Staff
I was impressed with these. Probably wouldn't go 160g again, but that's just personal preference.

That’s an interesting take considering the rage is going rigid per the stability shaft.
I’m too chicken to experiment with my gamer putter.

Last edited:
Great write up @Hawk ! Big fan of Nippon steel.

Nice writeup. I’ll be interested in seeing others thoughts on feel as these start to get out there.

The finish is stunning!

@Hawk the softer feel mentioned is there anything you would compare that too out currently? I’m not a huge fan of how stiff or boardy some current options feel, but don’t want what the Sigma putters with the adjustable height shafts felt like.

• Staff
@Hawk the softer feel mentioned is there anything you would compare that too out currently? I’m not a huge fan of how stiff or boardy some current options feel, but don’t want what the Sigma putters with the adjustable height shafts felt like.

I don't know that I can really frame it in the context of other shafts out there. I wish I could, but I'd be tossing nonsense at you :ROFLMAO:

By no means would I describe this as floppy or anything close to overly soft. In fact, I'm not sure I could blindly tell the difference between these and other steel options. I did feel like the difference was noticeable compared to graphite though.

ron burgundy GIF

Just ordered a 120, 140, and 160 in .370 to give a try.

ron burgundy GIF

Just ordered a 120, 140, and 160 in .370 to give a try.
Oh snap. I'm excited to hear how they work out for you. Really tempted to order a grip and install the 140 on something. I have a feeling it's the Goldilocks.

Interesting price point and message compared to what other graphite options are doing. Seems more inline with the UST mamiya offering rather than the kinetixx, KBS, BGT side.

The subtle objectivity with putter shaft reviews is so hard to convey, but this was well done.

Fascinating. I use them in my irons and wedges.

Good stuff @Hawk, I really like the finish on that putter shaft and the tech behind the design is intriguing.

I know nothing of the benefits of aftermarket putter shafts, but am quite intrigued by what people are saying about them. This looks like a fantastic offering.

Interesting price point and message compared to what other graphite options are doing. Seems more inline with the UST mamiya offering rather than the kinetixx, KBS, BGT side.

The subtle objectivity with putter shaft reviews is so hard to convey, but this was well done.
Appreciate that. Very subtle and the finicky nature of putting in general makes it even more difficult.

Nippon does a fantastic job in their iron shafts. I'd be curious here to test the different weights of the putter shafts, as it basically goes the complete opposite direction that stroke lab does for Odyssey with going so light.

Extremely interesting that even with the presumed increase of steel in the 160 that the feel off the face is maintained.

I'm also, definitely, going to go try and putt with noise cancelling ear buds now. :LOL:

I'm also, definitely, going to go try and putt with noise cancelling ear buds now. :LOL:

There was a lot more sensation than I initially expected!

By no means would I describe this as floppy or anything close to overly soft. In fact, I'm not sure I could blindly tell the difference between these and other steel options. I did feel like the difference was noticeable compared to graphite though.
How would compare the difference?

How would compare the difference?
Graphite felt noticeably stiffer to me, and a bit less dead I guess? I don't want to get too cliche, but that's what I felt.

Received these and like the profile of the shaft looks pretty nice as far as the tradition from butt to tip.
IMG_0746.jpeg
IMG_0752.jpeg
Cycled these with the head above at 35” and this is how they turned out.
The 120
IMG_0749.jpeg
IMG_0755.jpeg
The 140
IMG_0750.jpeg
IMG_0756.jpeg
The 160
IMG_0751.jpeg
IMG_0753.jpeg

Received these and like the profile of the shaft looks pretty nice as far as the tradition from butt to tip.
View attachment 9213770
View attachment 9213769
Cycled these with the head above at 35” and this is how they turned out.
The 120
View attachment 9213771
View attachment 9213772
The 140
View attachment 9213773
View attachment 9213774
The 160
View attachment 9213775
View attachment 9213776
How soon till you roll one? Which weight you going with?

Can you explain the frequency of the cycle?

Back