2023 Nippon N.S. Pro Putter Shafts

Thanks to the generosity of @Golfers Anonymous I will be testing the 120 shortly.
I plan on installing in a Sik Flo M so I can directly compare to the UST All-in graphite shaft.

We are curing!!!

Hope I didn’t screw it up/it gets too cold in the garage tonight that it sets. If I can slip away from work to get it gripped it will see the course Tuesday.

If there is anything in particular folks are interested in please let me know.

What's the head weight of the putter?
That question would have been much better asked 12 hours ago 😉

It appears the Sik Flo M weighs 360 g. Eventually on of the two heads will get shipped off for a refinish and I’ll try to come back to this.

Waggling it this morning without a grip I was liking the heavier head feel so I may switch grips on both putters to go lighter. Currently the All-in has a superstroke pistol tour. I need to refresh if that or the pistol 1.0 is lighter. Which ever is lighter to produce a heavier head feel will win out.

That question would have been much better asked 12 hours ago 😉

It appears the Sik Flo M weighs 360 g. Eventually on of the two heads will get shipped off for a refinish and I’ll try to come back to this.

Waggling it this morning without a grip I was liking the heavier head feel so I may switch grips on both putters to go lighter. Currently the All-in has a superstroke pistol tour. I need to refresh if that or the pistol 1.0 is lighter. Which ever is lighter to produce a heavier head feel will win out.

I kind of had a pre-built bias that I'd like/prefer the heavier shaft and head feel, but I was surprised to find that wasn't the case. My only real regret with the 120g shaft is that I didn't put it on a head I use more often.

I kind of had a pre-built bias that I'd like/prefer the heavier shaft and head feel, but I was surprised to find that wasn't the case. My only real regret with the 120g shaft is that I didn't put it on a head I use more often.
That’s what’s going to be fun here. I have the same head to go like for like. The only difference is the alignment lines, one has flange line the other is naked.

I almost didn’t throw my name in to the @Golfers Anonymous giveaway but the ability to test same head up against each other seemed too good to pass up

well that and the stunning finish. I need to try to get some good pics of it.

That’s what’s going to be fun here. I have the same head to go like for like. The only difference is the alignment lines, one has flange line the other is naked.

I almost didn’t throw my name in to the @Golfers Anonymous giveaway but the ability to test same head up against each other seemed too good to pass up

well that and the stunning finish. I need to try to get some good pics of it.
It is definitely gorgeous.

It is definitely gorgeous.
It’s so good, but it’s also subtle. I‘m afraid photos I take won’t fully do it justice

It’s so good, but it’s also subtle. I‘m afraid photos I take won’t fully do it justice
Agree here, the photo isn’t quite able to capture the great finish it has.

Putter has been gripped. Hope to roll some tonight, if not, straight into the fire tomorrow.

Props to @Golfers Anonymous for the shaft to test. I got the 160g in house and will be pairing it in a 350g odyssey #7ch. My main putter is a 2-ball 11 CH with a stroke lab, so it should provide a pretty good comparison to different ideals currently out there.

One thing to note is this thing is thiccc to get to this weight. I couldn’t use my normal small pipe cutter very well on it and had to use the saw lol.

Should have it gripped up and ready to go tonight for initial impressions.

Maiden voyage went pretty well. Only one three putt I believe but was playing on punched plinko greens.

There seems to be a bit more lively feel compared to the UST All-In graphite shaft. I almost react in making a bit more assertive stroke if that makes any sense. Yet with that lively feel, it doesn’t feel loose at all like I’ve had with other steel shafts. It’s an interesting combination.

I’m going to be really curious how this more assertive approach impacts my 5-10’ putting. I leave too many of these short.

Maiden voyage went pretty well. Only one three putt I believe but was playing on punched plinko greens.

There seems to be a bit more lively feel compared to the UST All-In graphite shaft. I almost react in making a bit more assertive stroke if that makes any sense. Yet with that lively feel, it doesn’t feel loose at all like I’ve had with other steel shafts. It’s an interesting combination.

I’m going to be really curious how this more assertive approach impacts my 5-10’ putting. I leave too many of these short.
Very different feel than the All-In for sure.

Very different feel than the All-In for sure.
100%. I am going to try to replicate your feel test between the two.

Initial reaction of the 160g is interesting. I may take this out of the #7 and put it in a blade. The weight distribution makes it feel so much different, even though it’s actually lighter than if someone uses a superstroke with the 50g butt weight installed. I think with the way the head weight is distributed in a mallet, it doesn’t gel super well with it for me. I think it would have a bigger impact/benefit with a blade. I will do that change tonight and see if it improves the overall feel of it.

Initial reaction of the 160g is interesting. I may take this out of the #7 and put it in a blade. The weight distribution makes it feel so much different, even though it’s actually lighter than if someone uses a superstroke with the 50g butt weight installed. I think with the way the head weight is distributed in a mallet, it doesn’t gel super well with it for me. I think it would have a bigger impact/benefit with a blade. I will do that change tonight and see if it improves the overall feel of it.
interesting. got blade head sitting around needing a shaft, curious what you see.

You should join the party
it is a thought, I'm torn on the weight though.

I was going to swap another retrofit graphite shaft into a milled SWAG head, but it's apparently a .355 hosel.

now i have a lonely shaftless head.

@Hawk enjoyed the writeup. It's interesting that Nippon is saying less stiff works better, while Odyssey is going the opposite direction. Do you know why?

Back