Search results for query: *

1. 1

Crossing the invisible lines

We all know there are lines we shouldn't cross. But they are invisible, thus leading to some momentary lapses of judgement. Like hitting a lob wedge over the house to the spruce tree in the back yard. Not knowing your wife decided to go sit in the backyard to watch the birds and...
  2. 1

Which Neighbor Are You?

My neighborhood is one of those where people move in and never move out. I've had the same next door neighbors for over 25 years. I know people and their kids all up and down our adjacent streets. We all have out different skill sets. Guy next door is an IT guy at one of the Big 3. Have a...
  3. 1

Yes, I bought some Warbirds..

It's been raining for 2 straight days. Tomorrow is supposed to be windy. Definitely not my normal type of ball, but I bought some Warbirds to play tomorrow. Anything will stop on those very soft greens. Now to keep the ball from ripping back at you. I think the Warbirds will resist ballooning...
  4. 1

Wilson has it

Not insanely lofted, closely gapped iron sets. On paper anyhow. I have to go hit them. Staff CB irons are gapped 4* from 5I - 26* through PW - 46*. I like it. Close gaps rule, makes for easier in between clubs because the in between gap isn't as large. As a guy who played lots and lots of...
  5. 1

Can somebody please explain to me how

How it can be that, as some contend, you get more spin off of grass than off of a mat? To me it defies logic, as well as personal observation. I like bare lies because there is never anything to interfere with the club/ball contact. Especially with shallower attack angles like a fairway wood...
  6. 1

When Callaway?

When will the new Apex DCB becoming out? Love my DCB 21's, but I am itchy.. and a new set of irons could scratch that itch. Has anybody heard a thing about an upcoming release? What changes have been made?
  7. 1

Callaway Supersoft. WTH?

Found a Supersoft under the screen at the sim when retrieving a tee. Later, while hitting wedges I saw the Supersoft sitting on the floor and hit it for the heck of it. I was shocked. a llittle over 10,000 rpm with a somewhat worn, 3 yr old 54* CBX. Repeatedly. Never thought of the Supersoft as...
  8. 1

Carl Rose passed away

https://www.clickondetroit.com/video/local-news/2024/01/16/carls-golfland-owner-carl-rose-dies/ I didnt really know Carl, but talked to him a few times at the store. Seemed like a decent enough guy, and most telling, his employees spoke highly of him. Thats why he could recruit and retain the...
  9. 1

They are wearing me down

I keep seeing these on E-Bay. Amazing condition for a mid/ late 80's club. I may not have shot my PB round with these but I won many, many a match and tourney with them in the bag. I played a DG S300 in them, not the Dynastep these have, and I had the 1 iron and sand iron as well....but still...
  10. 1

Too many balls?

I just ordered a couple dozen more Tour B RXS because they were on sale at Carl's, and a recent sim test showed they fit me well. My beloved TP5X was outdriven by 8 yards..... I think my old butt just doesn't have the hustle to take full advantage of the TP5X any more. At least not in cool...
  11. 1

Epon irons

Someone here posted a picture of an Epon iron and I looked at their website..... I have fallen in love with the single piece forging AF 506. I really want to hit it. Epon lists Carl's as a dealer, but Carls said they quit a few years ago. Not because the clubs were bad (He said they are...
  12. 1

I'm a Sick Man

And I think I caught it here. I was just fine with my iron game, but threads here, just this year talked me into: 1) Buying a set of irons with graphite shafts to alleviate arthritis pain. It worked. I loved them (Cleveland UHX's I darn near stole from Carl's. Vastly underrated.) Sold my steel...
  13. 1

Favorite public courses within an hour of you

What are your favorite public courses you can reach in an hour? Metro Detroit area is fortunate to have a myriad of really nice public courses available at a reasonable cost. I have a hard time picking, but here is a sampling of our rotation: 1) My "home course" This place can tear you up if...
  14. 1

I knew he was honorable

Had a new 10 bay sim place open up nearby a couple years ago. I like it, and my favorite sim league is there. Place is jumping in the winter. But he has no license to sell alcohol so even in the evening in the summer the place is deserted. I stopped in a few times a month to check or compare...
  15. 1

Offset and Hooks

Some say more offset can cause a case of the hooks. Others say more offset only leads to greater shot height. What do you believe offset does?
  16. 1

Fall Shootout

One of my leagues is on a beast of a course. 6857 yards (and that's not even the tips) 74.2 stroke rating, 139 slope. For our fall shootout we are going to a much, much easier venue, 6167 yards, 68.6 - 115 We are carrying our league calculated handicap from one to the next, as is. I finished the...
  17. 1

I Love My 9 Wood

9 wood. Yesterday it made me look real good a couple of times. 186 into the wind par 3. After waiting a half hour for it to land, It pitched 6' from the pin and stopped dead. Birdie. Short par 4, dogleg left. I pull hooked my tee ball. Hit a tree squarely and it bounced backwards into the...
  18. 1

A New Season and...

I still can't stand Joe Buck. And he hasn't even said anything too stupid yet. But the night Is young.
  19. 1

TSi2 - Oh Yes He Did

My kid is an excellent driver of the golf ball. Averages between 275 and 290, and hits the vast majority of fairways with his Cobra. So yesterday he bought a 9* TSI2 on sale at Carl's for $349.00 Why? He loved the look. Loved the sound. And he says he can hit it with his eyes closed. The price...
  20. 1

I'm Late To The Party....

I started golfing a few years before Callaway even existed. I wasn't really aware of Callaway till the late 80's as I recall. I had friends who played the origonal Big Bertha, but I was playing Wilson,, TM or Yonex newfangled not wood woods then. I played Mizuno, Yonex, Wilson or MacGregor...
Back